downloading irix - SGI

This is a discussion on downloading irix - SGI ; does anyone know if an irix 6.5 installation is available for download anywhere? I have an indy with a blank disk so I need the whole thing....

  1. downloading irix

    does anyone know if an irix 6.5 installation is available for download
    anywhere? I have an indy with a blank disk so I need the whole thing.

  2. Re: downloading irix

    free O/S: tux awaits you at www.linux-mips.org

    real O/S: www.ebay.com, around 100 USD will buy you IRIX 6.5

  3. Re: downloading irix

    IRIX is a commercial OS (you have to pay for it).

    But indys run BSD well and linux also runs on them (so I'm told).

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, pip wrote:

    > does anyone know if an irix 6.5 installation is available for download
    > anywhere? I have an indy with a blank disk so I need the whole thing.

  4. Re: downloading irix

    Florian Bachmann wrote:

    > pip wrote:
    > > does anyone know if an irix 6.5 installation is available for download
    > > anywhere? I have an indy with a blank disk so I need the whole thing.

    > free O/S: tux awaits you at www.linux-mips.org

    penguins eat their young too, buy a peecee.

    > real O/S: www.ebay.com, around 100 USD will buy you IRIX 6.5

    get free supportfolio account, and download recent updates to base
    IRIX 6.5.

  5. Re: downloading irix

    Funny to hear you sa buy a PeeCee.....
    I've just bought a Dell GX60 off of ebay. It's a 2.6Ghz system wit 512Mb
    memory and a 64Mb graphics card. It's so so sooooooooooo
    SlOwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

    I admit that it's a crippled celeron chip but really 2600,000,000 Hertz!!!

    Bloody hell it's a pile of junk. I plays divx back fine but try doing
    enything elce. Wait until I get onto the OS. It's junk. It's kinda does
    the job at making a junk botched together PeeCee look like a workstation
    but look inside and even just try to use it and you know it's just not
    up to the job. It even crashed when I enables UDMA 100 on the disk. It's a
    UDMA disk too!!! Good lord.

    Pathetic PeeCee users say in their pathetic voice "Errrrrm whats the point
    in a silicon graphics, the disks are just as fast as my pc, the graphics
    are just as good and the cpu is slower',

    Well the disks run as true speed all the time and last about 10 times
    linger, when you access the disk it
    doesn't lock up your whole machine (yesterday I watched a guy copy 12Gb's
    of data from one disk to another and his PeeCee locked up and even the
    mouse was moving slowly.........), how many times have you seen an SGI
    crash and need to pull the plug out?

    Lets face it if you really believe a PC is better for your work then your
    works not that important. Why not just go down the pub.

    Don't go down the PC route. I'm giving my Dell away just to see the back
    of it.

    Oh ever tried getting diagnostics data out of a PeeCee serial port when
    you can't boot it?? Thats right you can't it doesn't work.

    Total arce cludged together trash (PeeCee)

    BSD on your SGI is far better than buying a PC. My Indy is still going
    strong. I replaced the disk (after 10 years of service) re-installed the
    latest ver of irix (at the time 6.5.16) and set it going. Now all my mail
    goes to that box. It's my mail ftp, shell account box that I telnet or ssh
    into. Never a single problem. It's also a gr8 mp3 player.

    *********************

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, SkyWriter wrote:

    > Florian Bachmann wrote:
    >
    > > pip wrote:
    > > > does anyone know if an irix 6.5 installation is available for download
    > > > anywhere? I have an indy with a blank disk so I need the whole thing.

    > > free O/S: tux awaits you at www.linux-mips.org

    > penguins eat their young too, buy a peecee.
    >

    > > real O/S: www.ebay.com, around 100 USD will buy you IRIX 6.5

    > get free supportfolio account, and download recent updates to base
    > IRIX 6.5.

  6. Re: downloading irix

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > Funny to hear you sa buy a PeeCee.....
    > I've just bought a Dell GX60 off of ebay. It's a 2.6Ghz system wit 512Mb
    > memory and a 64Mb graphics card. It's so so sooooooooooo
    > SlOwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....
    >
    > I admit that it's a crippled celeron chip but really 2600,000,000 Hertz!!!

    i bought a viewsonic viewpad 1000. it's nice. i gave my sgi 330 (w2k) to my
    wife to websurf. my kids play games on the another peecee.

    > Bloody hell it's a pile of junk. I plays divx back fine but try doing
    > enything elce. Wait until I get onto the OS. It's junk. It's kinda does
    > the job at making a junk botched together PeeCee look like a workstation
    > but look inside and even just try to use it and you know it's just not
    > up to the job. It even crashed when I enables UDMA 100 on the disk. It's a
    > UDMA disk too!!! Good lord.
    >
    > Pathetic PeeCee users say in their pathetic voice "Errrrrm whats the point
    > in a silicon graphics, the disks are just as fast as my pc, the graphics
    > are just as good and the cpu is slower',
    >
    > Well the disks run as true speed all the time and last about 10 times
    > linger, when you access the disk it
    > doesn't lock up your whole machine (yesterday I watched a guy copy 12Gb's
    > of data from one disk to another and his PeeCee locked up and even the
    > mouse was moving slowly.........), how many times have you seen an SGI
    > crash and need to pull the plug out?
    >
    > Lets face it if you really believe a PC is better for your work then your
    > works not that important. Why not just go down the pub.
    >
    > Don't go down the PC route. I'm giving my Dell away just to see the back
    > of it.
    >
    > Oh ever tried getting diagnostics data out of a PeeCee serial port when
    > you can't boot it?? Thats right you can't it doesn't work.
    >
    > Total arce cludged together trash (PeeCee)
    >
    > BSD on your SGI is far better than buying a PC.

    that is a pig in a poke.

    > My Indy is still going
    > strong. I replaced the disk (after 10 years of service) re-installed the
    > latest ver of irix (at the time 6.5.16) and set it going. Now all my mail
    > goes to that box. It's my mail ftp, shell account box that I telnet or ssh
    > into. Never a single problem. It's also a gr8 mp3 player.
    >
    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, SkyWriter wrote:
    >
    > > Florian Bachmann wrote:

    > > > free O/S: tux awaits you at www.linux-mips.org

    > > penguins eat their young too, buy a peecee.
    > >

    > > > real O/S: www.ebay.com, around 100 USD will buy you IRIX 6.5

    > > get free supportfolio account, and download recent updates to base
    > > IRIX 6.5.

  7. Re: downloading irix

    Thanks, I managed to get hold an original CD set and have installed
    Irix 6.5.5.
    Now I'm trying to get the Indy hooked up to my PC so I can share the
    internet connection.
    I have a crossover cable and have set up networking, but I keep
    getting the ec0 no carrier: check ethernet cable message.
    I know the cable is good so maybe the Indy has a hardware fault. I
    assume this message would not be caused by anything related to the
    configuration of networking in the OS?

  8. Re: downloading irix

    pip wrote:

    > getting the ec0 no carrier: check ethernet cable message.

    it is a hardware fault, i.e. no link. options:

    - try software-locking the PCs ethernet card to 10baseT.
    - try a $10 ethernet hub from compusa or whatever.
    - check the mac address of the indys ethernet port (in hinv).

    HTH
    r15k

  9. Re: downloading irix

    The error does mean the cable is bad or the other network card isn't
    online. SGI's networking is online from power on to power off. The prom is
    set with the system's ip as an enviroment variable. I've never used a
    crossover with SGI's but I'm sure they work as it's just swaping the RX
    and TX over. If it's a linux box rn ifconfig eth0 and examine the output.
    Make sure the interface is up on the PC. ifconfig eth0 up

    *********************

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, pip wrote:

    > Thanks, I managed to get hold an original CD set and have installed
    > Irix 6.5.5.
    > Now I'm trying to get the Indy hooked up to my PC so I can share the
    > internet connection.
    > I have a crossover cable and have set up networking, but I keep
    > getting the ec0 no carrier: check ethernet cable message.
    > I know the cable is good so maybe the Indy has a hardware fault. I
    > assume this message would not be caused by anything related to the
    > configuration of networking in the OS?

  10. Re: downloading irix

    davidw76@hotmail.com (pip) wrote:

    >Thanks, I managed to get hold an original CD set and have installed
    >Irix 6.5.5.
    >Now I'm trying to get the Indy hooked up to my PC so I can share the
    >internet connection.
    >I have a crossover cable and have set up networking, but I keep
    >getting the ec0 no carrier: check ethernet cable message.
    >I know the cable is good so maybe the Indy has a hardware fault. I
    >assume this message would not be caused by anything related to the
    >configuration of networking in the OS?

    If the ethernet TP port is broken you can use a AUI-TP
    converter and use the AUI port instead. That one is also
    called ec0.
    This worked on my Indy when lightning (or something) had
    damaged the TP port.
    Or go all the way and buy a Phobos 100MBit instead.
    Unless you have XZ graphics, because then it won't fit.

  11. Re: downloading irix

    > - try software-locking the PCs ethernet card to 10baseT.

    have done this, and it makes the (Windows) PC show the status of the
    connection as connected, but still can't ping either way, and no
    activity lights on the PC ethernet card when pinging from the Indy.

    > - try a $10 ethernet hub from compusa or whatever.

    I might try this later although I have heard of other people
    successfully connecting an Indy to a PC with a crossover cable.

    > - check the mac address of the indys ethernet port (in hinv).

    The mac address is ok.

    I think I will try buying a tranceiver for the AUI port if I can find
    one for a reasonable price. Maybe the Indy has a problem with it's
    rj45 port.

    By the way, the "no carrier" message only pops up every 10-20 minutes
    and sometimes not for much longer.

  12. Re: downloading irix

    The RJ45 port is connected to the same chip as the aui port. If one is
    trashed then the other will probably be a non starter too.

    Try googling "sgi crossover cable"

    I did and got results. Therefore you can use a crossover cable with SGI's.
    If 4 websites under different url's are claiming to have used it then it
    works :-)

    If your PC was having problems auto=negotiating between 10Mb and 100Mb
    then it would still show connected but it would just be very very slow and
    not move files. Ping should still work though but the TTL would be huge
    (60 or more ms).

    Try another crossover cable. Is the networking fried in the SGI? Is it
    fried on the pc? Use the SGI's hardware test from the maintenence mode
    console.

    Try to connect your PeeCee to another PeeCee using your crossover cable.
    That will check out everything apart form the SGI's network interface. I
    have a load of AUI to BNC and AUI to RJ45 convertors. If your still
    wanting to play with the other port let me know and I'll post you one.

    *********************

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, pip wrote:

    > > - try software-locking the PCs ethernet card to 10baseT.

    > have done this, and it makes the (Windows) PC show the status of the
    > connection as connected, but still can't ping either way, and no
    > activity lights on the PC ethernet card when pinging from the Indy.
    >
    > > - try a $10 ethernet hub from compusa or whatever.

    > I might try this later although I have heard of other people
    > successfully connecting an Indy to a PC with a crossover cable.
    >
    > > - check the mac address of the indys ethernet port (in hinv).

    > The mac address is ok.
    >
    > I think I will try buying a tranceiver for the AUI port if I can find
    > one for a reasonable price. Maybe the Indy has a problem with it's
    > rj45 port.
    >
    > By the way, the "no carrier" message only pops up every 10-20 minutes
    > and sometimes not for much longer.

  13. Re: downloading irix

    > If the ethernet TP port is broken you can use a AUI-TP
    > converter and use the AUI port instead. That one is also
    > called ec0.
    > This worked on my Indy when lightning (or something) had
    > damaged the TP port.
    > Or go all the way and buy a Phobos 100MBit instead.
    > Unless you have XZ graphics, because then it won't fit.

    Turns out the ethernet port is broke on mine too. the company
    who I aquired the Indy from just recalled that they always
    had it connected through a converter on the AUI port.

    I came across a few other cases of this while searching for
    information.

+ Reply to Thread