    Does anyone have an Adelphia cable modem (DHCP---not static IP)
    working with IRIX 6.5 ?

  2. Re: cable modem adelphia

    On 2004-02-18 20:36:39 -0600, msawicki@ucla.edu (Mark Sawicki) said:

    >> Does anyone have an Adelphia cable modem (DHCP---not static IP)
    >> working with IRIX 6.5 ?

    Sure... I'm on Comcast cable modem with DHCP and so long as I have the
    chkconfig for autoconfig_ipaddress set to "on" then it'll work. In the
    case of Comcast the DHCP wants to set the hostname as well and that was
    just plain ugly.

    I created a simple script that got run after proclaim (to get the
    address) that sets the name to what I wanted. Worked fine.

    The only catch seemed to be setting the default route in
    /etc/config/static-route.options as that needs to be set properly as
    well. Getting it right wasn't easy without a hex-bin calculator to
    figure out the gateway, but that may be Comcast as well.
    --

    Thanks,
    Bob (drbob@TheManFromSPUD.com)

  3. Re: cable modem adelphia

    Bob Beaty wrote:

    > On 2004-02-18 20:36:39 -0600, msawicki@ucla.edu (Mark Sawicki) said:
    >
    > >> Does anyone have an Adelphia cable modem (DHCP---not static IP)
    > >> working with IRIX 6.5 ?

    > Sure... I'm on Comcast cable modem with DHCP and so long as I have the
    > chkconfig for autoconfig_ipaddress set to "on" then it'll work. In the
    > case of Comcast the DHCP wants to set the hostname as well and that was
    > just plain ugly.

    I believe Comcast stopped with the required hostname shizm around 2 years
    ago. You still need the fully qualified domain name though (along with
    your hostname of choice). Maybe this differs in different area's - I'm in
    NJ.

    > I created a simple script that got run after proclaim (to get the
    > address) that sets the name to what I wanted. Worked fine.
    >
    > The only catch seemed to be setting the default route in
    > /etc/config/static-route.options as that needs to be set properly as
    > well. Getting it right wasn't easy without a hex-bin calculator to
    > figure out the gateway, but that may be Comcast as well.

    hex-bin calculator? are you talking about how IRIX shows the netmask?
    i.e. 0xffffff00 instead of 255.255.255.0 ?

    In my static-route.options file, there is only one line:

    $ cat /etc/config/static-route.options
    $ROUTE $QUIET add net default XXX.XXX.XXX.1

    where XXX.XXX.XXX.1 is my gateway's IP.

    you can manually play with it also, just it is not permanent and will need
    to be reset after a reboot:

    # route add default

    but you can do this from the "modify network settings" GUI located in
    System manager also.

    here is everything I have turned on via chkconfig:

    $ chkconfig -s
    Flag State
    ==== =====

    autoconfig_ipaddress on