CDE Desktop - SGI

This is a discussion on CDE Desktop - SGI ; Hi, I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine) How can I use CDE as the default Desktop? By the way, where can ...

  1. CDE Desktop

    Hi,
    I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?
    By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not
    able to mkfs_xfs.
    Thanks for any hints
    Andree

  2. Re: CDE Desktop

    Andree Plumeier wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    > there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    > How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?

    sell the O2 and purchase a sun workstation. instant CDE default desktop
    (if you hurry now though as sun is presently being TUXED UP!).

    > By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    > and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not
    > able to mkfs_xfs.

    G-O-O-G-L-E --> it's a novel concept.

    cheers.

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  3. Re: CDE Desktop

    Andree Plumeier wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    > there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    > How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?
    > By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    > and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not able
    > to mkfs_xfs.
    > Thanks for any hints
    > Andree

    I'm not sure why one would want to cripple an sgi by running CDE instead
    of IRIX Desktop, but there is a patch to install I think... I haven't
    tried it (and will never, ever do that to my sgi), but it should work...
    If you want CDE that bad, I would suggest investing in an HP-UX or
    Solaris box, not shooting IRIX Desktop with CDE...

    As for the disks, why not try xvm? It would let you do all kinds of cool
    stuff with your drives...

  4. Re: CDE Desktop

    Hi,
    I tried a few hours, so I do not need CDE anymore ;-)

    Andree Plumeier wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    > there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    > How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?
    > By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    > and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not able
    > to mkfs_xfs.
    > Thanks for any hints
    > Andree

  5. Re: CDE Desktop

    UNIX Museum wrote:

    > Andree Plumeier wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    > > there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    > > How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?
    > > By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    > > and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not able
    > > to mkfs_xfs.
    > > Thanks for any hints
    > > Andree
    > >

    > I'm not sure why one would want to cripple an sgi by running CDE instead
    > of IRIX Desktop, but there is a patch to install I think... I haven't
    > tried it (and will never, ever do that to my sgi), but it should work...
    > If you want CDE that bad, I would suggest investing in an HP-UX or
    > Solaris box, not shooting IRIX Desktop with CDE...
    >
    > As for the disks, why not try xvm? It would let you do all kinds of cool
    > stuff with your drives...

    UNIX Museum,

    I'm curious... what cool stuff could you do with xvm? Doesn't xvm require a licence to be
    purchased? I know that you can use xvm for clustering and other things I believe that
    aren't part of the general xlv package.

    Using xlv is just the simple way of taking a number of smaller disks (let's say 9Gb's) and
    logically grouping them together with/withouth striping to be presented to the user as one
    large disk... like making 4 9Gb's look like a 27Gb disk. I'm sure that most folks on here
    use xlv's all the time. I know I got em' all over the place (my largest xlv is a ~16Tb
    filesystem).

    But I still don't see how xvm *or* xlv could be the solution to the question Andree posed
    above - which sounded to me like he was trying to figure out how to partition up a 73Gb
    disk. The answer to that would be 'fx -x' (choose '[r]epartition' and then '[e]xpert').

    -chris

    p.s. - I fully agree with the CDE comment... if you want CDE, best to use a SUN box.
    Personally I use 'enlightenment' (from freeware.sgi.com). Looks *very* nice on IRIX.

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator

  6. Re: CDE Desktop -> XLV/XVM

    Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    > UNIX Museum wrote:
    >
    >> I know I got em' all over the place (my largest xlv is a ~16Tb

    > filesystem).

    i have about 20 disks that were apparently striped together using XLV, i
    havent booted them up yet but before i do, i have a few questions:

    1. does it matter which disk is connected to which controller number ?

    2. if one disk is missing does that mean the whole XLV is kaputt ?

    thanks for any tips on that.

    r15k

  7. Re: CDE Desktop -> XLV/XVM

    r15k wrote:

    > i have about 20 disks that were apparently striped together using XLV, i
    > havent booted them up yet but before i do, i have a few questions:
    >
    > 1. does it matter which disk is connected to which controller number ?

    not quite sure what you mean here...more details please.

    > 2. if one disk is missing does that mean the whole XLV is kaputt ?

    if it's just a stripe, yes. if you have the plexing license and you have
    built a stripe/mirror volume than one disk should be ok to lose which is
    the whole idea...

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  8. Re: CDE Desktop

    Hi,

    Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    > UNIX Museum wrote:
    >
    >>Andree Plumeier wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    >>>there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    >>>How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?
    >>>By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    >>> and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not able
    >>>to mkfs_xfs.
    >>>Thanks for any hints
    >>>Andree
    >>>

    >>I'm not sure why one would want to cripple an sgi by running CDE instead
    >>of IRIX Desktop, but there is a patch to install I think... I haven't
    >>tried it (and will never, ever do that to my sgi), but it should work...
    >>If you want CDE that bad, I would suggest investing in an HP-UX or
    >>Solaris box, not shooting IRIX Desktop with CDE...
    >>
    >>As for the disks, why not try xvm? It would let you do all kinds of cool
    >>stuff with your drives...

    > UNIX Museum,
    >
    > I'm curious... what cool stuff could you do with xvm? Doesn't xvm require a licence to be
    > purchased? I know that you can use xvm for clustering and other things I believe that
    > aren't part of the general xlv package.
    >
    > Using xlv is just the simple way of taking a number of smaller disks (let's say 9Gb's) and
    > logically grouping them together with/withouth striping to be presented to the user as one
    > large disk... like making 4 9Gb's look like a 27Gb disk. I'm sure that most folks on here
    > use xlv's all the time. I know I got em' all over the place (my largest xlv is a ~16Tb
    > filesystem).
    >
    > But I still don't see how xvm *or* xlv could be the solution to the question Andree posed
    > above - which sounded to me like he was trying to figure out how to partition up a 73Gb
    > disk. The answer to that would be 'fx -x' (choose '[r]epartition' and then '[e]xpert').

    That is absolut correct. Sound like xlv is something like volume
    management. Not the best way for one disk.
    I have done fx -x and parted the disk. Now I am not able to do a
    mkfs_xfs /dev/dsk/dks0d2s3
    I do not understand where the differeces are, in other UNIX ( like
    solaris) I can do it this way. Partition , mkfs .... and then mount the
    filesystem. Maybe the problem is somewhere in the xfs filesystem ?
    Andree

    > -chris
    >
    > p.s. - I fully agree with the CDE comment... if you want CDE, best to use a SUN box.
    > Personally I use 'enlightenment' (from freeware.sgi.com). Looks *very* nice on IRIX.

  9. Re: CDE Desktop -> XLV/XVM

    Dans article , cosmos@hepcat.org
    disait...
    > > 2. if one disk is missing does that mean the whole XLV is kaputt ?

    > if it's just a stripe, yes.

    Actually it's in some way possible to get back the data on a broken xlv
    stripe (I did, once). Of course you can't get the data on the broken
    drive...

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  10. Re: CDE Desktop -> XLV/XVM

    cosmos wrote:

    > r15k wrote:
    > >
    > > i have about 20 disks that were apparently striped together using XLV, i
    > > havent booted them up yet but before i do, i have a few questions:
    > >
    > > 1. does it matter which disk is connected to which controller number ?

    If the disks have XLV labels, it doesn't matter what controller they
    are on, or what device id they use.

    xlv_assemble will find them and assemble the volume(s).

    The xlv label lives in the volume header of the disk.

    > not quite sure what you mean here...more details please.
    >
    > > 2. if one disk is missing does that mean the whole XLV is kaputt ?

    > if it's just a stripe, yes. if you have the plexing license and you have
    > built a stripe/mirror volume than one disk should be ok to lose which is
    > the whole idea...
    >
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > cosmos See no linux
    > @ Hear no linux
    > hepcat.org Speak no linux
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  11. Re: CDE Desktop

    Christopher R. Jones wrote:
    > UNIX Museum wrote:
    >
    >>Andree Plumeier wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I'am new to Irix. Try few days to install 6.5.20 on my O2. I have read
    >>>there is a CDE Desktop. (dtgreet ... works fine)
    >>>How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?
    >>>By the way, where can I find doku how to part my disk? Have a 73 GB Disk
    >>> and 10 GB usr 1GB root. The rest is on other slices but I am not able
    >>>to mkfs_xfs.
    >>>Thanks for any hints
    >>>Andree
    >>>

    >>I'm not sure why one would want to cripple an sgi by running CDE instead
    >>of IRIX Desktop, but there is a patch to install I think... I haven't
    >>tried it (and will never, ever do that to my sgi), but it should work...
    >>If you want CDE that bad, I would suggest investing in an HP-UX or
    >>Solaris box, not shooting IRIX Desktop with CDE...
    >>
    >>As for the disks, why not try xvm? It would let you do all kinds of cool
    >>stuff with your drives...

    > UNIX Museum,
    >
    > I'm curious... what cool stuff could you do with xvm? Doesn't xvm require a licence to be
    > purchased? I know that you can use xvm for clustering and other things I believe that
    > aren't part of the general xlv package.
    >
    > Using xlv is just the simple way of taking a number of smaller disks (let's say 9Gb's) and
    > logically grouping them together with/withouth striping to be presented to the user as one
    > large disk... like making 4 9Gb's look like a 27Gb disk. I'm sure that most folks on here
    > use xlv's all the time. I know I got em' all over the place (my largest xlv is a ~16Tb
    > filesystem).
    >
    > But I still don't see how xvm *or* xlv could be the solution to the question Andree posed
    > above - which sounded to me like he was trying to figure out how to partition up a 73Gb
    > disk. The answer to that would be 'fx -x' (choose '[r]epartition' and then '[e]xpert').
    >
    > -chris
    >
    > p.s. - I fully agree with the CDE comment... if you want CDE, best to use a SUN box.
    > Personally I use 'enlightenment' (from freeware.sgi.com). Looks *very* nice on IRIX.

    With xvm manager, you can do all kinds of things: concat, mirrors,
    stripes, create/change subvolumes, snapshots,... the list is long...

    I guess all these things can be done by typing, but over the years I
    have grown to like using GUI as much as possible... sgi is usually
    pretty good at creating useful GUI, and typing cryptic commands doesn't
    make me feel good about my abilities anymore... It's not just pretty,
    it's actually useful... But it's just me though...

    XVM Manager will indeed let you indeed partition a drive, but will give
    you the option to partition in multiple different ways, depending on
    your needs...

    Now if we're talking fresh partition and OS install, then yeah xvm mgr
    is useless... fx will do then... Add_disk would too...

    I didn't buy XVM BTW, at least I don't think...

  12. Re: CDE Desktop

    Andree Plumeier wrote in message news:...

    > How can I use CDE as the default Desktop?

    1) Install CDE from the Applications cd-rom.
    2) After installing, type the following on the command line as root:
    chkconfig dtlogin on
    followed by
    chkconfig xdm off
    3) Reboot
    4) I highly recommend reading the SGI-specific release notes (after
    installing, type 'grelnotes cde' on the command line).

+ Reply to Thread