How to install 6.5.19 on a 6.5.7 system - SGI

This is a discussion on How to install 6.5.19 on a 6.5.7 system - SGI ; Hi, i'm new to IRIX, I aquired an Indigo 2 systems, which had no system disk. I was able to install IRIX 6.5.7 using documentation on the internet. Would lie to upgrade the install to 6.5.19 using the 3 tar.gz ...

  1. How to install 6.5.19 on a 6.5.7 system

    Hi, i'm new to IRIX,

    I aquired an Indigo 2 systems, which had no system disk. I was able to
    install IRIX 6.5.7 using documentation on the internet.
    Would lie to upgrade the install to 6.5.19 using the 3 tar.gz files from the
    sgi support pages.
    Do i need to unpack the file first or does the software manager know what to
    to with these files?
    Regards

  2. Re: How to install 6.5.19 on a 6.5.7 system

    yeh unpack the files

    for i in ./*gz; do; /use/freeware/bin/tar -zxvf $i; done; swmgr -f .

    that uncompressed and untars your files then runs software manager with
    teh source set as the current working dir (where you extracted ya tar's
    to).

    then click custom

    it will select the right bits by default. You may with to tweek the
    selections.

    thats all there is to it. just clock go ;-)

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Bas Brands wrote:

    > Hi, i'm new to IRIX,
    >
    > I aquired an Indigo 2 systems, which had no system disk. I was able to
    > install IRIX 6.5.7 using documentation on the internet.
    > Would lie to upgrade the install to 6.5.19 using the 3 tar.gz files from the
    > sgi support pages.
    > Do i need to unpack the file first or does the software manager know what to
    > to with these files?
    > Regards

+ Reply to Thread