sharity/samba setup with Windows2000 - SGI

This is a discussion on sharity/samba setup with Windows2000 - SGI ; Hi Does anyone know a good source of help for setting up sharity/samba to work with Irix 6.5.15 and Windows2000 Professional? I've never tried to get it to work until the other day but just hit a brick wall and ...

  1. sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    Hi

    Does anyone know a good source of help for setting up sharity/samba to
    work with Irix 6.5.15 and Windows2000 Professional? I've never tried
    to get it to work until the other day but just hit a brick wall and
    didn't have a clue!

    Thanks!

  2. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know a good source of help for setting up sharity/samba to
    > work with Irix 6.5.15 and Windows2000 Professional? I've never tried
    > to get it to work until the other day but just hit a brick wall and
    > didn't have a clue!
    >
    > Thanks!

    I followed the instruction and installed 2.7 on Solaris before, never
    try with Irix, where did you get stuck on? I had to to disable NIS+ or
    it will cause conflict with ealier version of Sharity, filed bug report
    to them but don't know if they have fix the problem on the recent release.

    S.Chang

  3. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    Hi

    > I followed the instruction and installed 2.7 on Solaris before, never
    > try with Irix, where did you get stuck on? I had to to disable NIS+ or

    I am trying to find out where Samba should be installed (host or
    client) and likewise with Sharity. I think Sharity is the client, but
    I'm not sure.
    I just couldn't find any easy-to-follow steps/instructions for setting
    up both parts on two computers, for Irix and Windows2000 in
    particular.

    If I find out how to do it, I'll probably make my own easy-to-follow
    guide!

  4. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    Jonathan wrote:

    > I just couldn't find any easy-to-follow steps/instructions for setting
    > up both parts on two computers, for Irix and Windows2000 in
    > particular.
    >
    > If I find out how to do it, I'll probably make my own easy-to-follow
    > guide!

    Sharity goes on the Irix box ... it can't be very difficult, cuz
    even I got it to work. The login system is not well thought-out
    but still, if you can figure out how to make mount points it won't
    be hard. Works fine with Windows 2000 but I'm going to try to ditch
    it and go with NFS instead. The three layers deep limit isn't very
    convenient. That's with the sharity from freeware.

    I didn't try the Samba - I have no intention of letting a Windows
    kluge 'operating system' anywhere near my Irix boxes.

  5. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    > Works fine with Windows 2000 but I'm going to try to ditch

    So how does one actually use it? Say I want to transfer a whole
    directory of files from Windows2000 to my SGI...

    > it and go with NFS instead. The three layers deep limit isn't very
    > convenient. That's with the sharity from freeware.

    NFS? Do you mean just use the SGI, or use NFS on a PC?

    Thanks!

  6. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    Samba is windows networking for unix

    It allows one to map a network drive from the windows cludge to a real
    computer.

    If I were to map a network drive from windowz to my SGI and I wanted to
    connect to my home directory (home's are automaticaly shared un samba 2.8
    or better).

    I would connect to

    \\192.168.0.9\khalid

    I'd give it my username and password when it asked for it and I would have
    another drive on my PeeCee which would be my home directory on the unix
    box.

    Or if you edit /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf you can add more network shares.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Jonathan wrote:

    > > Works fine with Windows 2000 but I'm going to try to ditch

    > So how does one actually use it? Say I want to transfer a whole
    > directory of files from Windows2000 to my SGI...
    >
    > > it and go with NFS instead. The three layers deep limit isn't very
    > > convenient. That's with the sharity from freeware.

    > NFS? Do you mean just use the SGI, or use NFS on a PC?
    >
    > Thanks!

  7. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk (Jonathan) wrote:

    >> Works fine with Windows 2000 but I'm going to try to ditch

    >So how does one actually use it? Say I want to transfer a whole
    >directory of files from Windows2000 to my SGI...
    >
    >> it and go with NFS instead. The three layers deep limit isn't very
    >> convenient. That's with the sharity from freeware.

    >NFS? Do you mean just use the SGI, or use NFS on a PC?
    >
    >Thanks!

    I think M$ has released their Windows Services for UNIX 3.5
    for free download. I has (among other things) NFS capabilities.
    Check http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

  8. Re: sharity/samba setup with Windows2000

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:11:02 +0000
    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > Samba is windows networking for unix
    >
    > It allows one to map a network drive from the windows cludge to a real
    > computer.
    >
    > If I were to map a network drive from windowz to my SGI and I wanted to
    > connect to my home directory (home's are automaticaly shared un samba 2.8
    > or better).
    >
    > I would connect to
    >
    > \\192.168.0.9\khalid
    >
    > I'd give it my username and password when it asked for it and I would have
    > another drive on my PeeCee which would be my home directory on the unix
    > box.
    >
    > Or if you edit /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf you can add more network shares.
    >

    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Jonathan wrote:
    >
    > > > Works fine with Windows 2000 but I'm going to try to ditch

    > > So how does one actually use it? Say I want to transfer a whole
    > > directory of files from Windows2000 to my SGI...
    > >
    > > > it and go with NFS instead. The three layers deep limit isn't very
    > > > convenient. That's with the sharity from freeware.

    > > NFS? Do you mean just use the SGI, or use NFS on a PC?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Easier setup can be achieved by using swat. On a web browser, type http://:901 login as root and you'll have a web-based setup... It works very well...
    The whole idea of Samba is to be able to mount Samba shares (UNIX-based) on Windows as if they were Win directories/drives...

+ Reply to Thread