SE graphics - SGI

This is a discussion on SE graphics - SGI ; Hello I got an octane with the lower lever graphics SE board. I notice sometimes a kind of GREEN flickering on the screen when for example I scroll fast the IRIX menus. THis happens when some window is obscured by ...

  1. SE graphics

    Hello I got an octane with the lower lever graphics
    SE board.
    I notice sometimes a kind of GREEN flickering on the screen
    when for example I scroll fast the IRIX menus.
    THis happens when some window is obscured by another
    and they are swapped very fast from background/foreground.
    is it normal?
    thanks

    Rick

  2. Re: SE graphics

    "Rick" wrote:
    > Hello I got an octane with the lower lever graphics
    > SE board.
    > I notice sometimes a kind of GREEN flickering on the screen
    > when for example I scroll fast the IRIX menus.
    > THis happens when some window is obscured by another
    > and they are swapped very fast from background/foreground.
    > is it normal?
    > thanks

    I think it is, but I've never understood exactly why it happens. Sometimes
    you get even stranger things, like when starting Blender you briefly see a
    ghostly image of things that were on the screen a few minutes ago. GIMP
    screenshots come out with most of the screen discoloured, too. Something to
    do with overlay planes, or something?

    It was much more evident on an Indy, just dragging windows around does it.
    Especially with CPU Eater as wallpaper

  3. Re: SE graphics

    Lewis Saunders wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote:
    > > Hello I got an octane with the lower lever graphics
    > > SE board.
    > > I notice sometimes a kind of GREEN flickering on the screen
    > > when for example I scroll fast the IRIX menus.
    > > THis happens when some window is obscured by another
    > > and they are swapped very fast from background/foreground.
    > > is it normal?
    > > thanks

    > I think it is, but I've never understood exactly why it happens. Sometimes
    > you get even stranger things, like when starting Blender you briefly see a
    > ghostly image of things that were on the screen a few minutes ago.

    this is normal for blender: has to do with the way the foreground/backgroud
    buffer
    is used. i've never seen this green thing before though.

    > GIMP
    > screenshots come out with most of the screen discoloured, too. Something to
    > do with overlay planes, or something?
    >
    > It was much more evident on an Indy, just dragging windows around does it.
    > Especially with CPU Eater as wallpaper

+ Reply to Thread