Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc - SGI ; In article , Benjamin Goldsteen wrote: :I am working with someone who is no longer on IRIX support. I want to :update him to at least IRIX 6.5.19m. That shouldn't be a problem, but :I noticed that the 6.5.19 Apps ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc

  1. Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc

    In article <4db74fa6.0402101706.126d5f63@posting.google.com>,
    Benjamin Goldsteen wrote:
    :I am working with someone who is no longer on IRIX support. I want to
    :update him to at least IRIX 6.5.19m. That shouldn't be a problem, but
    :I noticed that the 6.5.19 Apps CD is no available for (free) download.
    : In the past, I've always worked with people on support (and the "f"
    :stream) and so always had access to all the SGI/IRIX CDs. For someone
    :not on support, it is legal to install stuff from the 6.5.19 Apps CDs
    n to their computer?

    No

    The SGI license is written very tightly. So tightly that if you
    have two systems, X and Y, both under full support, and you have
    full CD delivery for both X and Y, and you get two identical shipments,
    one marked on the letter [outside the box] as being for X and the
    other marked as being for Y, then if you were to use one of the CDs
    delivered with respect to X in order to update Y, you would be
    in violation of your license agreement and would have to stop using
    IRIX on X immediately.

    Using your copy of a CD to update someone else's system is right out.
    Even if it's a Freeware CD.

    Oh, and last time I checked, the SGI Netscape license was written such
    that each and every user was required to download their own copy,
    if you are getting it from the SGI download section. Personal use only
    of the person who clicks on the agreement...
    --
    "Meme" is self-referential; memes exist if and only if the "meme" meme
    exists. "Meme" is thus logically a meta-meme; but until the existance
    of meta-memes is more widely recognized, "meta-meme" is not a meme.
    -- A Child's Garden Of Memes

  2. Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc

    In article ,
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    : The SGI license is written very tightly. So tightly that if you
    : have two systems, X and Y, both under full support, and you have
    : full CD delivery for both X and Y, and you get two identical shipments,
    : one marked on the letter [outside the box] as being for X and the
    : other marked as being for Y, then if you were to use one of the CDs
    : delivered with respect to X in order to update Y, you would be
    : in violation of your license agreement and would have to stop using
    : IRIX on X immediately.

    I tell you what, Walter: If the FBI ever breaks down your door for installing
    IRIX with the wrong media set, I'd be happy to send a cake with a file in it to
    your jail cell.


    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@ubb.ca
    -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  3. Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    > In article ,
    > roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:


    > : The SGI license is written very tightly. So tightly that .....


    > I tell you what, Walter: If the FBI ever breaks down your door for installing
    > IRIX with the wrong media set, I'd be happy to send a cake with a file in it to
    > your jail cell.


    Walter doesn't fear the FBI, since he's in .ca. Lucky him. The rest
    of us had better be careful not to mix our CDs, though!

    Damian Menscher
    --
    -=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
    -=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc217)333-0038 |#=-
    -=#| www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Fax217)333-9819 |#=-
    -=#| The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employers: |#=-
    -=#| UIUC CITES Security Group || Beckman Imaging Technology Group |#=-

  4. Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc

    In article ,
    Damian Menscher wrote:

    : Walter doesn't fear the FBI, since he's in .ca. Lucky him. The rest
    : of us had better be careful not to mix our CDs, though!

    Since when have borders stopped the long arm of american lawmakers?


    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@ubb.ca
    -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  5. Re: 6.5.19 Apps CD -- contents/license/etc


    In article roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

    > Using your copy of a CD to update someone else's system is right out.
    > Even if it's a Freeware CD.


    SGI is not the license holder for most of the stuff in the freeware
    collections. I guess they would have a hard time trying to enforce
    such a draconian policy.


    Regards,
    --
    Hans Peter Verne ( hpv at kjemi dot uio dot no )

    `It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever,
    have you thought of going into teaching?' -- Terry Pratchett, "Mort"

+ Reply to Thread