xmame for irix 5.3? - SGI

This is a discussion on xmame for irix 5.3? - SGI ; Has anyone seen xmame for irix 5.3? I'm running an indy. Pier...

  1. xmame for irix 5.3?

    Has anyone seen xmame for irix 5.3?

    I'm running an indy.

    Pier

  2. Re: xmame for irix 5.3?

    "Rock Eater" wrote in message news:<4023790b$0$4260$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
    > Has anyone seen xmame for irix 5.3?
    >
    > I'm running an indy.

    IMO it's not worth it on an Indy. I tried xmame on an Indigo2 R10k
    and it was slooooow - not optimized at all so far as I could tell.
    Does anyone know if you can easily re-compile for a specific SGI with
    optimizations for graphics hardware? If not, better off on a
    reasonably fast PC with mame atm.

  3. Re: xmame for irix 5.3?

    Rock Eater wrote:
    > Has anyone seen xmame for irix 5.3?

    Tricky...

    The IRIX 5.3 compiler prolly won't accept the xmame source code. So you
    have to compile it using GCC which leads into a 30% slower binary.

    And as your hardware ..

    > I'm running an indy.

    ... doesn't seem to be very fast it makes next to no sense to try to
    compile the source (the result would be very disappointing). Neither by
    the time it will take to actualy do the build (estimated 20 hours) nor
    by the performance you will get from the binary.

    You can - of course - try to compile other (read: older) UNIX games for
    your machine. There are quite a few out there that still give a lot of
    fun. Check out http://www.happypenguin.org/

    --
    PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30

  4. Re: xmame for irix 5.3?

    Thanks for the advice Marcus.
    Pier.

    "Marcus Herbert" wrote in message
    > Rock Eater wrote:
    > > Has anyone seen xmame for irix 5.3?

    > Tricky...
    >
    > The IRIX 5.3 compiler prolly won't accept the xmame source code. So you
    > have to compile it using GCC which leads into a 30% slower binary.
    >
    > And as your hardware ..
    >
    > > I'm running an indy.

    > .. doesn't seem to be very fast it makes next to no sense to try to
    > compile the source (the result would be very disappointing). Neither by
    > the time it will take to actualy do the build (estimated 20 hours) nor
    > by the performance you will get from the binary.
    >
    > You can - of course - try to compile other (read: older) UNIX games for
    > your machine. There are quite a few out there that still give a lot of
    > fun. Check out http://www.happypenguin.org/
    >
    > --
    > PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert

    > GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30
    > Geek-Code: GCS b O e+ h

  5. Re: xmame for irix 5.3?

    You could also search for 'sgi indy game', I found this site which has
    lots of ftp links on it: http://www.hendersonzone.net/bill/sgi/
    or try the SGI site freeware section.

    Look out for Battalion (openGL Godzilla kind of thing) and Xevil (VERY
    good sideways scrolling doom-style game!), I recall they worked pretty
    well on the Indy. (not sure about which IRIX they were compatible with
    though)
    There were quite a few games which worked better with a network, i.e.
    multiplayer, but these two you can play solo as well.

+ Reply to Thread