indigo2 that won't boot - orange light on front - SGI

This is a discussion on indigo2 that won't boot - orange light on front - SGI ; I picked up an old indigo2 that i would like to get in working order. The monitor is attached and powers up, I have reseated all of the memory, video card, and hard drive (which does spin up, though typically ...

  1. indigo2 that won't boot - orange light on front

    I picked up an old indigo2 that i would like to get in working order.
    The monitor is attached and powers up, I have reseated all of the
    memory, video card, and hard drive (which does spin up, though typically
    after the light goes orange), but as soon as the little sgi ascending
    tones finish, the status indicator on front of box goes orange.

    Does this mean that the prom is bad? or is there another possibility?
    Is there a way to boot from the cd-rom or will I not be able to mount it
    period without at least getting to a prom prompt?

    Thanks,
    --Gord.

  2. Re: indigo2 that won't boot - orange light on front

    Gord wrote:

    > I picked up an old indigo2 that i would like to get in working order.
    > The monitor is attached and powers up, I have reseated all of the
    > memory, video card, and hard drive (which does spin up, though typically
    > after the light goes orange), but as soon as the little sgi ascending
    > tones finish, the status indicator on front of box goes orange.
    >
    > Does this mean that the prom is bad? or is there another possibility?

    If it does the boot tune, the PROM is probably OK. Never seen a bad
    PROM.

    Could be a bunch of things. Try disconnecting the keyboard, and
    connect a serial terminal (or terminal emulator on another computer)
    to the first serial port, and see if it spits anything out.
    Might be gfx related.

    > Is there a way to boot from the cd-rom or will I not be able to mount it
    > period without at least getting to a prom prompt?

    You won't be able to do anything without a startup prompt, unless
    you use the aforementioned serial terminal and can see output there.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

+ Reply to Thread