copying install cd's - SGI

This is a discussion on copying install cd's - SGI ; mike (mmilewski@comcast.net) once said: > copy all the IRIX CD's to a temp harddrive (its > like 3-4 gigs), How exactly is this done? In his 'Network Install' page, Ian M. mentions the need to include the install cd (EFS ...

  1. copying install cd's

    mike (mmilewski@comcast.net) once said:

    > copy all the IRIX CD's to a temp harddrive (its
    > like 3-4 gigs),

    How exactly is this done?

    In his 'Network Install' page, Ian M. mentions the need to include the
    install cd (EFS formatted) volume headers so they can boot, so use dd
    (with params). Elsewhere mention is made of using a 'straight dump'.

    >> Ian ...... a remote disk file system contained local copies of all

    the relevant 6.5
    media.

    The rest of his article seems straightforeward and thorough. But how
    were these copies placed on the remote machine in the first place?
    --
    sp
    ~~~~

    --

  2. Re: copying install cd's

    dd off a copy of the cd's
    mount all the partitions on the cd and copy all the files out into
    directorys under your installation directory.

    easy as that :-)

    you can even use fdisk on linux to inspect the partitions in the cd image
    :-)

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 sweepea@kickapoo.com wrote:

    > mike (mmilewski@comcast.net) once said:
    >
    > > copy all the IRIX CD's to a temp harddrive (its
    > > like 3-4 gigs),

    > How exactly is this done?
    >
    > In his 'Network Install' page, Ian M. mentions the need to include the
    > install cd (EFS formatted) volume headers so they can boot, so use dd
    > (with params). Elsewhere mention is made of using a 'straight dump'.
    >
    > >> Ian ...... a remote disk file system contained local copies of all

    > the relevant 6.5
    > media.
    >
    > The rest of his article seems straightforeward and thorough. But how
    > were these copies placed on the remote machine in the first place?
    > --
    > sp
    > ~~~~
    >
    > --

  3. Re: copying install cd's (for network install server)

    sweepea@kickapoo.com wrote:

    > In his 'Network Install' page, Ian M. mentions the need to include the
    > install cd (EFS formatted) volume headers so they can boot, so use dd
    > (with params). Elsewhere mention is made of using a 'straight dump'.

    no need, just mount the cds and copy all data from them on to the disk.

    use the official SGI install guide, it is the best:

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...LE81158-PARENT

    IRIX Admin: Software Installation and Licensing
    (document number: 007-1364-140 / published: 2003-11-07)

    it describes exactly how to set up a network install server, i have used
    this method for perfect results everytime.

    r15k

  4. Re: copying install cd's (for network install server)

    r15k wrote:

    > sweepea@kickapoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > In his 'Network Install' page, Ian M. mentions the need to include the
    > > install cd (EFS formatted) volume headers so they can boot, so use dd
    > > (with params). Elsewhere mention is made of using a 'straight dump'.

    > no need, just mount the cds and copy all data from them on to the disk.
    >
    > use the official SGI install guide, it is the best:
    >
    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...LE81158-PARENT
    >
    > IRIX Admin: Software Installation and Licensing
    > (document number: 007-1364-140 / published: 2003-11-07)
    >
    > it describes exactly how to set up a network install server, i have used
    > this method for perfect results everytime.
    >
    > r15k

    That SGI documentation is nice, but it means you have to open up services (bootp or tftpd)
    that I know we don't have enabled or like to. But you can still do the 'distribution
    disk' method. We just have a big 73Gb disk in one of our Origin's that's got an outlay
    like this:

    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 17 2003 6.5.17_Applications ->
    sw/812-0877-017/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 17 2003
    6.5.17_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4 -> sw/812-0818-017/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 17 2003 6.5.17_Overlays_2_of_4 ->
    sw/812-0819-017/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 17 2003 6.5.17_Overlays_3_of_4 ->
    sw/812-0817-017/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 17 2003 6.5.17_Overlays_4_of_4 ->
    sw/812-1123-017/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003 6.5.18_Applications ->
    sw/812-0877-018/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003
    6.5.18_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4 -> sw/812-0818-018/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003 6.5.18_Overlays_2_of_4 ->
    sw/812-0819-018/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003 6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4 ->
    sw/812-0817-018/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003 6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4 ->
    sw/812-1123-018/

    (just a snapshot... there's a lot of stuff on this disk)

    I organized it this way per suggestion from one my local SGI sse's. The 'sw/xxx-xxxx-xxx'
    number is the part number of the actual CDROM. Then in each one of those directories I
    just copy recursively the contents of the CDROM in question (since we have support on at
    least one system, I just use that system's serial number each quarter to open up a case
    and request the latest overlay CD's. I rarely use them, but it's nice having at least on
    copy on hand).

    Then you just create a file call '.related_dists' and put something like this in it:

    6.5.17_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    6.5.17_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    6.5.17_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    6.5.17_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    6.5.17_Applications/dist

    6.5.18_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    6.5.18_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    6.5.18_Applications/dist

    (and of course you have to have the base cd's)
    IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist
    IRIX_6.5_Foundation-2/dist
    IRIX_6.5_Development_Foundation_1.2/dist
    IRIX_6.5_Development_Libraries/dist
    ONC3_NFS_Version3/dist
    IRIX_6.5_Applications_June_1998/dist

    So when I want to install a package, or upgrade an OS, I just nfs mount this disk on the
    machine in question, cd into the mount point, and run 'inst -f .'. Choosing '1' and
    telling it '.' for the location will give you an output similiar to this:

    Install software from: [.]

    .. has the following sections.
    Please choose one or more names or numbers, by entering
    them all on one line. For example: 1-3 4

    1 ./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist
    2 ./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-2/dist
    3 ./IRIX_6.5_Development_Foundation_1.2/dist
    4 ./IRIX_6.5_Development_Libraries/dist
    5 ./ONC3_NFS_Version3/dist
    6 ./IRIX_6.5_Applications_June_1998/dist
    7 ./6.5.18_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    8 ./6.5.18_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    9 ./6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    10 ./6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    11 ./6.5.18_Applications/dist
    12 ./6.5.17_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    13 ./6.5.17_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    14 ./6.5.17_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    15 ./6.5.17_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    16 ./6.5.17_Applications/dist
    17 quit (no additional distributions, return to inst prompt)

    Install software from: [./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist]

    Then you just choose what you want, watch it load up and start having fun! This method is
    sooooooo much easier than the 'CDROM-swapping game method' as I like to playfully call it.

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator

  5. Re: copying install cd's

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:26:04 UTC, wrote:

    > > copy all the IRIX CD's to a temp harddrive (its
    > > like 3-4 gigs),

    > How exactly is this done?
    >
    >> ...... a remote disk file system contained local copies of all
    >> the relevant 6.5 media.

    Thanks Khalid and r15k. I must keep reminding myself that this is a
    network concept, even though I'm starting out with just one box with a
    blank harddrive. And the other boxes are similarly devoid of content.
    --
    sp
    ~~~~

    --

  6. Re: copying install cd's (for network install server)

    From: Christopher R. Jones (c.r.jones@larc.nasa.gov)
    Subject: Re: copying install cd's (for network install server)
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.admin
    Date: 2004-02-06 09:57:16 PST

> [...]

    3 ./IRIX_6.5_Development_Foundation_1.2/dist
    4 ./IRIX_6.5_Development_Libraries/dist
    5 ./ONC3_NFS_Version3/dist
    6 ./IRIX_6.5_Applications_June_1998/dist
    7 ./6.5.18_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    8 ./6.5.18_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    9 ./6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    10 ./6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    11 ./6.5.18_Applications/dist
    12 ./6.5.17_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    13 ./6.5.17_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    14 ./6.5.17_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    15 ./6.5.17_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    16 ./6.5.17_Applications/dist
    17 quit (no additional distributions, return to inst prompt)

    Install software from: [./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist]

    Then you just choose what you want, watch it load up and start having
    fun! This method is
    sooooooo much easier than the 'CDROM-swapping game method' as I like

  7. Re: copying install cd's (for network install server)

    sweepea@kickapoo.com wrote:

    > Christopher Jones said:
    >
    > From: Christopher R. Jones (c.r.jones@larc.nasa.gov)
    > Subject: Re: copying install cd's (for network install server)
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.admin
    > Date: 2004-02-06 09:57:16 PST

    > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003
    > 6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4 ->
    > sw/812-0817-018/
    > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 15 Mar 14 2003
    > 6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4 ->
    > sw/812-1123-018/
    >
    > (just a snapshot... there's a lot of stuff on this disk)
    >
    > I organized it this way per suggestion from one my local SGI sse's.
    > The 'sw/xxx-xxxx-xxx'
    > number is the part number of the actual CDROM. Then in each one of
    > those directories I
    > just copy recursively

    Sorry.... I used 'cp -pr'

    > the contents of the CDROM in question (since we have support on at
    > least one system, I just use that system's serial number each quarter
    > to open up a case
    > and request the latest overlay CD's. I rarely use them, but it's nice
    > having at least on
    > copy on hand).
    >
    > Then you just create a file call '.related_dists' and put something
    > like this in it:
    >
    > 6.5.17_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.17_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.17_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.17_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.17_Applications/dist
    >
    > 6.5.18_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.18_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    > 6.5.18_Applications/dist
    >
    > (and of course you have to have the base cd's)
    > IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist
    > IRIX_6.5_Foundation-2/dist
    > IRIX_6.5_Development_Foundation_1.2/dist
    > IRIX_6.5_Development_Libraries/dist
    > ONC3_NFS_Version3/dist
    > IRIX_6.5_Applications_June_1998/dist

    Sorry again... for me, all of this lives under a filesystem called /sgi_os_software
    (at that level you have the soft links to the 'sw/xxx-xxxx-xxx' directories. So the
    ..related_dists file is at /sgi_os_software/.related_dists.

    > So when I want to install a package, or upgrade an OS, I just nfs
    > mount this disk on the
    > machine in question, cd into the mount point, and run 'inst -f .'.
    > Choosing '1' and
    > telling it '.' for the location will give you an output similiar to
    > this:
    >
    > Install software from: [.]
    >
    > .. has the following sections.
    > Please choose one or more names or numbers, by entering
    > them all on one line. For example: 1-3 4
    >
    > 1 ./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist
    > 2 ./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-2/dist
    > 3 ./IRIX_6.5_Development_Foundation_1.2/dist
    > 4 ./IRIX_6.5_Development_Libraries/dist
    > 5 ./ONC3_NFS_Version3/dist
    > 6 ./IRIX_6.5_Applications_June_1998/dist
    > 7 ./6.5.18_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    > 8 ./6.5.18_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    > 9 ./6.5.18_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    > 10 ./6.5.18_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    > 11 ./6.5.18_Applications/dist
    > 12 ./6.5.17_Installation_Tools_and_Overlays_1_of_4/dist
    > 13 ./6.5.17_Overlays_2_of_4/dist
    > 14 ./6.5.17_Overlays_3_of_4/dist
    > 15 ./6.5.17_Overlays_4_of_4/dist
    > 16 ./6.5.17_Applications/dist
    > 17 quit (no additional distributions, return to inst prompt)
    >
    > Install software from: [./IRIX_6.5_Foundation-1/dist]
    >
    > Then you just choose what you want, watch it load up and start having
    > fun! This method is
    > sooooooo much easier than the 'CDROM-swapping game method' as I like
    > to playfully call it.

    Hope that helps.... this setup is a major timesaver for me.

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    ASDC Senior Systems Administrator
    Did you konw taht the hmuan biran can raed wrods no
    mtater waht odrer the lteters are in as lnog as the
    fisrt and lsat lteters are croerct?

+ Reply to Thread