[Semi-OT] skynet.be emails? - SGI

This is a discussion on [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails? - SGI ; Did anyone else receive about 300 emails from Skynet.be's "mail protection system"? Looks someone got a virus and tried to send it out to.. Everyone on comp.sys.sgi.admin and then some maybe? Crazy stuff. If the owner of skynet.be is on ...

  1. [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    Did anyone else receive about 300 emails from Skynet.be's "mail protection
    system"? Looks someone got a virus and tried to send it out to.. Everyone
    on comp.sys.sgi.admin and then some maybe? Crazy stuff. If the owner of
    skynet.be is on the list, you might want to look into how this scanner
    system works. I really don't much care for receiving 300 notifications
    that it blocked an email destined to me :P

  2. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    In article ,
    John Farnsworth wrote:
    >Did anyone else receive about 300 emails from Skynet.be's "mail protection
    >system"? Looks someone got a virus and tried to send it out to.. Everyone
    >on comp.sys.sgi.admin and then some maybe? Crazy stuff. If the owner of
    >skynet.be is on the list, you might want to look into how this scanner
    >system works. I really don't much care for receiving 300 notifications
    >that it blocked an email destined to me :P

    I got about that many; when I finally did a pattern delete, it got 290
    in addition to what I manually deleted.

    These days, sending a bounce message on spam trapping is stupid.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  3. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    John Farnsworth wrote:

    > Did anyone else receive about 300 emails from Skynet.be's "mail protection
    > system"? Looks someone got a virus and tried to send it out to.. Everyone
    > on comp.sys.sgi.admin and then some maybe?

    I got a few dozen before I nuked the skynet.be and their IPs
    from my mail server. Looks like it started about 2:47AM MST this
    morning, luckily I was up at that time (don't ask). I hope they're
    still bouncing right back up their ass. Maybe I should send 'em
    a few hundred Gig worth of garbage to further their effort.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  4. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    John Farnsworth wrote:
    > Did anyone else receive about 300 emails from Skynet.be's "mail protection
    > system"? Looks someone got a virus and tried to send it out to.. Everyone
    > on comp.sys.sgi.admin and then some maybe? Crazy stuff. If the owner of
    > skynet.be is on the list, you might want to look into how this scanner
    > system works. I really don't much care for receiving 300 notifications
    > that it blocked an email destined to me :P

    Got 213 of them. I mailed them a complaint, and then bounced about
    100 of the messages to their support address so they'd know what I
    was complaining about.

    Damian Menscher
    --
    -=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
    -=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc217)333-0038 |#=-

  5. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    Greg Douglas writes:

    > I got a few dozen before I nuked the skynet.be and their IPs
    > from my mail server.

    That's about the only sensible action one can take. Skynet.be is a
    Belgian ADSL provider and (as usual for Belgium) there's nobody home.

    > Maybe I should send 'em a few hundred Gig worth of garbage to further
    > their effort.

    That was probably meant as a joke, but it really was in rather poor
    taste, especially given the name of your business.

  6. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    >> Maybe I should send 'em a few hundred Gig worth of garbage to further
    >> their effort.

    > That was probably meant as a joke, but it really was in rather poor
    > taste, especially given the name of your business.

    no worries, i will take care of that for greg. bombs away!

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  7. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > That was probably meant as a joke, but it really was in rather poor
    > taste, especially given the name of your business.

    A) It was not meant as a joke, believe me.
    B) Don't lecture me about "poor taste". If some idiotic ISP
    wannabe doesn't know how to configure their mail servers
    properly, and I get over 200 useless emails that takes MY
    time and effort to fix, I'll do anything I damn well please
    to help point out the errors of their way.
    C) This has nothing to do with my business. It has to do with
    MY resources and time being wasted by morons, simply because
    I choose to post to comp.sys.sgi.* usenet newsgroups.

    Good day.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  8. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    Greg Douglas writes:

    >> That was probably meant as a joke, but it really was in rather poor
    >> taste, especially given the name of your business.

    > A) It was not meant as a joke, believe me.

    If you intend to run a business called "Reputable Systems", fighting
    abuse with abuse just doesn't seem to fit in the big picture.

    The Belgians will probably not even notice if you do (since there really
    is nobody home) but if you flooded, say, us, the way you described earlier,
    I would certainly be willing to go to lengths to persuade Cbeyond
    Communications to cut your cables, and if they ever read their own
    acceptable use policy, they would waste no time doing so.

    > B) Don't lecture me about "poor taste". If some idiotic ISP
    > wannabe doesn't know how to configure their mail servers
    > properly, and I get over 200 useless emails that takes MY
    > time and effort to fix, I'll do anything I damn well please
    > to help point out the errors of their way.

    Fighting abuse with abuse is still abusive. If you ever decide to
    carry out your earlier threats and somebody points it out to your
    ISP and they decide to terminate your Internet connection for it, the
    least you can do is not to come here bitching and moaning about it.

    > C) This has nothing to do with my business. It has to do with
    > MY resources and time being wasted by morons, simply because
    > I choose to post to comp.sys.sgi.* usenet newsgroups.

    You post as a representative of the business you run. If I have under-
    stood it correctly, you're not just another employee, but the actual
    owner of Reputable Systems.

    If I ever needed a second hand SGI system in Boulder, CO, or anywhere you
    ship, I would certainly now know who I would not be purchasing it from.

  9. Re: [Semi-OT] skynet.be emails?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > Greg Douglas writes:
    >
    > >> That was probably meant as a joke, but it really was in rather poor
    > >> taste, especially given the name of your business.

    > > A) It was not meant as a joke, believe me.

    > If you intend to run a business called "Reputable Systems", fighting
    > abuse with abuse just doesn't seem to fit in the big picture.
    >
    > The Belgians will probably not even notice if you do (since there really
    > is nobody home) but if you flooded, say, us, the way you described earlier,
    > I would certainly be willing to go to lengths to persuade Cbeyond
    > Communications to cut your cables, and if they ever read their own
    > acceptable use policy, they would waste no time doing so.
    >
    > > B) Don't lecture me about "poor taste". If some idiotic ISP
    > > wannabe doesn't know how to configure their mail servers
    > > properly, and I get over 200 useless emails that takes MY
    > > time and effort to fix, I'll do anything I damn well please
    > > to help point out the errors of their way.

    > Fighting abuse with abuse is still abusive. If you ever decide to
    > carry out your earlier threats and somebody points it out to your
    > ISP and they decide to terminate your Internet connection for it, the
    > least you can do is not to come here bitching and moaning about it.
    >
    > > C) This has nothing to do with my business. It has to do with
    > > MY resources and time being wasted by morons, simply because
    > > I choose to post to comp.sys.sgi.* usenet newsgroups.

    > You post as a representative of the business you run. If I have under-
    > stood it correctly, you're not just another employee, but the actual
    > owner of Reputable Systems.
    >
    > If I ever needed a second hand SGI system in Boulder, CO, or anywhere you
    > ship, I would certainly now know who I would not be purchasing it from.

    C'mon folks... it's Friday - the weekend! Let's relax some. Can't we all just get
    along?

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones