Help - What next? - SGI

This is a discussion on Help - What next? - SGI ; I've tried to connect to my Onyx without any luck. I've used both a standard serial cable and a null modem cable using HyperTerm on a peecee. I tested the set-up on an Octane without any problems. The keyboard/mouse and ...

  1. Help - What next?

    I've tried to connect to my Onyx without any luck.

    I've used both a standard serial cable and a null modem cable using HyperTerm
    on a peecee. I tested the set-up on an Octane without any problems. The
    keyboard/mouse and the monitor are not connected to the Onyx. If I leave them
    connected, I get a black screen with a red mouse pointer. That's it.

    The Onyx seems to go through the boot procedure without any problems but hangs
    at the "Checking Inventory" message. I can't get anything that will get me
    into the system to update and/or do a reset. I have tried a reset from the
    System Control Monitor without success.

    I've replaced the IO4 board and tried two different MC3 boards with the same
    results.

    Is the red mouse pointer an indication of some other system fault?

    Where do I go from here? Replace the IP19 board, or send it to someone for
    testing?

    Thanks.

    Everett

  2. Re: Help - What next?

    ebsimonds@comcast.net (Everett B. Simonds) wrote in message news:...
    > I've tried to connect to my Onyx without any luck.
    >
    > I've used both a standard serial cable and a null modem cable using HyperTerm
    > on a peecee. I tested the set-up on an Octane without any problems. The
    > keyboard/mouse and the monitor are not connected to the Onyx. If I leave them
    > connected, I get a black screen with a red mouse pointer. That's it.

    The Onyx and Challenge DB9 serial ports used a different pinout than
    the Octane serial ports, so yeah, if it worked on your Octane then
    your serial cable probably shouldn't work on the Onyx.

    If you have access to an SGI somewhere, do a 'man serial' to get the
    pinouts.

    It's also probably somewhere on techpubs.sgi.com

    Set your terminal comm interface to 9600, 8 bit, no parity

    If you get a screen full of junk (if I remember right): press the
    escape key to force the Onyx to cycle to the next baud rate -- give it
    a moment after each keypress to see if you hit the correct rate.

    Tom H.

    Here's an cut-paste from the man serial output.
    It will probably get reformatted to gibberish, sorry.
    I think we used a cable with just 3 pins wired, but we don't have that
    around to check out any more.

    CONNECTORS AND PIN ASSIGNMENTS
    There are five different types of connectors found on various 4D
    models.
    Note that in terms of connectors and pin assignments, the
    Challenge S is
    identical to the Indy and both Challenge M and Power Challenge M
    are
    equivalent to the Indigo2. The DB-9 male serial port connectors
    on O2,
    OCTANE, Onyx2, Origin2000/200 and Origin3000/300 systems have the
    following IBM(R) PC/AT(tm)-like pin assignments:

    Page 2

    serial(7)
    serial(7)

    -------------------
    \ 1 2 3 4 5 /
    \ 6 7 8 9 /
    ---------------

    Pin | Name | Description
    ____|______|____________________
    1 | DCD | Data Carrier Detect
    2 | RD | Receive Data
    3 | TD | Transmit Data
    4 | DTR | Data Terminal Ready
    5 | GND | Signal Ground
    6 | - | reserved
    7 | RTS | Request To Send
    8 | CTS | Clear To Send
    9 | - | reserved

    The DB-9 female serial port connectors, which are found on the
    CHALLENGE
    and Onyx systems, have the following pin assignments.

    -------------------
    \ 5 4 3 2 1 /
    \ 9 8 7 6 /
    ---------------

    Pin | Name | Description
    ____|______|____________________
    2 | TD | Transmit Data
    3 | RD | Receive Data
    4 | RTS | Request To Send
    5 | CTS | Clear To Send
    7 | SG | Signal Ground
    8 | DCD | Data Carrier Detect
    9 | DTR | Data Terminal Ready

    The CHALLENGE and Onyx systems provide an RS-422 port. This
    RS-422 port
    uses a DB-9 female serial connector and has the following pin
    assignments.

    Pin | Name | Description
    ____|______|____________________
    1 | DTR | Data Terminal Ready
    2 | TxD- | Transmit Data -
    3 | RxD- | Receive Data -
    4 | DCD | Data Carrier Detect
    5 | CTS | Clear To Send
    6 | SG | Signal Ground
    7 | TxD+ | Transmit Data +
    8 | RxD+ | Receive Data +
    9 | RTS | Request to send

    -- end --

  3. Re: Help - What next?

    On 31 Jan 2004 18:53:52 -0800
    tom_h_57@yahoo.com (Tom H.) wrote:

> [...]

    > 8 | CTS | Clear To Send
    > 9 | - | reserved
    >

    > The DB-9 female serial port connectors, which are found on the
    > CHALLENGE
    > and Onyx systems, have the following pin assignments.
    >
    > -------------------
    > \ 5 4 3 2 1 /
    > \ 9 8 7 6 /
    > ---------------
    >
    > Pin | Name | Description
    > ____|______|____________________
    > 2 | TD | Transmit Data
    > 3 | RD | Receive Data
    > 4 | RTS | Request To Send
    > 5 | CTS | Clear To Send
    > 7 | SG | Signal Ground
    > 8 | DCD | Data Carrier Detect
    > 9 | DTR | Data Terminal Ready
    >

    > The CHALLENGE and Onyx systems provide an RS-422 port. This
    > RS-422 port
    > uses a DB-9 female serial connector and has the following pin

    Tom:

    Thanks, I tried a null modem cable without success. After reading your
    reply and the man serial page I decided to check the configuration of my
    null modem cabe. It turns out pins 2 and 3 are swapped, as they should
    be, but pin 7 (Ground) on one end goes to pin 8 on the other end. I
    assume that I'll need to make up cable that goes 2>3 and 3>2 with SGI
    pin 7 going to pc pin 5.

    Hopefully this will let me see what's going on with the machine so I'll
    have some how to proceed.

    Thanks.

    EBS

+ Reply to Thread