Video Control Panel or 'setmonitor' command? - SGI

This is a discussion on Video Control Panel or 'setmonitor' command? - SGI ; Is there a way to check the video resolution and video syncs info coming out of Indigo2/HighIMPACT (IRIX 6.5.x) and also MaximumImpact (if I get one)? I remember there used to be a IRIX command like "setmonitor" or something. Or, ...

  1. Video Control Panel or 'setmonitor' command?

    Is there a way to check the video resolution and video syncs info coming out of
    Indigo2/HighIMPACT (IRIX 6.5.x) and also MaximumImpact (if I get one)?

    I remember there used to be a IRIX command like "setmonitor" or something. Or,
    was there a video control panel to change the resolution of such compatible LCD
    displays?

    What are the important video syncs info that I should be looking for when
    buying 19" 1280x1024 LCD? Is it good enough: "1280x1024 at 75 Hz,
    whatever-khz, video sync on green, SOG"?

    This will help me decide the proper LCD displays for IMPACT workstations.
    Anyone?

    Mike

  2. Re: Video Control Panel or 'setmonitor' command?

    MStepansky wrote:

    > Is there a way to check the video resolution and video syncs info coming out of
    > Indigo2/HighIMPACT (IRIX 6.5.x) and also MaximumImpact (if I get one)?
    >
    > I remember there used to be a IRIX command like "setmonitor" or something. Or,
    > was there a video control panel to change the resolution of such compatible LCD
    > displays?

    /usr/gfx/gfxinfo
    should tell you what you want to know.

    > What are the important video syncs info that I should be looking for when
    > buying 19" 1280x1024 LCD? Is it good enough: "1280x1024 at 75 Hz,
    > whatever-khz, video sync on green, SOG"?

    Doesn't even have to refresh at 75 Hz., 50 or 60 Hz. is fine.
    Being active devices, they have no "refresh" to speak of. Transistors
    tell the pixel when to turn on, and turn off. There is no
    phosphor coating being hit by an electron beam in a vacuum, that
    decays in the absence of said beam.

    If you get the right 13W3-HD15 adapter, the H and V syncs will
    be properly routed, so the LCD flatpanel doesn't even need to
    support SOG.

    (shameless plug): If you could get by with 18" LCD flatpanels, Reputable
    Systems sells, them, with the proper adapter. Guaranteed to work on
    any SGI.

    http://www.reputable.com/sgilist.html#MONITORS

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  3. Re: Video Control Panel or 'setmonitor' command?

    Really??

    I didnt know about 13w3-hd15 adapter and H/V syncs will be properly rerouted.

    So I can get ANY 19" LCD display to work with SGI Indigo2/Impact using that
    cable?

    What about khz freq? 85? 89khz? does it matter? I will check gfxinfo cmd
    about it and resolution, right?

    Does Indigo2/HighImpact support 1600x1200? Wonder if there is such 19" (or
    20?) display for it...

    thanks for the reply Greg! Keep it going.

    mike

+ Reply to Thread