ADSL and IRIX - SGI

This is a discussion on ADSL and IRIX - SGI ; Can any SGI gurus here tell me if there are any issues in sharing an SGI with other pc's on a 4 port ADSL router modem? I finally have ADSL available in my area and would like to join, however ...

  1. ADSL and IRIX

    Can any SGI gurus here tell me if there are any issues in sharing an SGI
    with other pc's on a 4 port ADSL router modem?

    I finally have ADSL available in my area and would like to join, however
    due to Uni commitments, I need access to the PC as well as the SGI O2.

    Finally, does IRIX support the wireless ADSL modems (with added hardware
    ofcourse)?

  2. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    Spidy wrote:
    > Can any SGI gurus here tell me if there are any issues in sharing an SGI
    > with other pc's on a 4 port ADSL router modem?
    >
    > I finally have ADSL available in my area and would like to join, however
    > due to Uni commitments, I need access to the PC as well as the SGI O2.
    >
    > Finally, does IRIX support the wireless ADSL modems (with added hardware
    > ofcourse)?

    Sorry, I'm not a guru; but I can still answer as it's been working fine
    for me for years with multiple PC & IRIX machines.

    I have even a worse now: IRIX & Win machines connected to a switch
    connected to a wireless access point bridgingg to another wireless
    access point connected to a DSL router connected to a DSL modem :-D Yes,
    I know, it's a mess, but it works.

    Nothing to do: IRIX will work either in DHCP mode or static IP,
    whichever you prefer... Believe it or not, it works out of the box in a
    much easier way than a WinXP machine!

    Put Samba on your IRIX box too, it'll work very well...

  3. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    Ah, that's good news. Thanks for the reply.

    UNIX Museum wrote:
    > Spidy wrote:
    >
    >> Can any SGI gurus here tell me if there are any issues in sharing an
    >> SGI with other pc's on a 4 port ADSL router modem?
    >>
    >> I finally have ADSL available in my area and would like to join,
    >> however due to Uni commitments, I need access to the PC as well as the
    >> SGI O2.
    >>
    >> Finally, does IRIX support the wireless ADSL modems (with added
    >> hardware ofcourse)?
    >>

    > Sorry, I'm not a guru; but I can still answer as it's been working fine
    > for me for years with multiple PC & IRIX machines.
    >
    > I have even a worse now: IRIX & Win machines connected to a switch
    > connected to a wireless access point bridgingg to another wireless
    > access point connected to a DSL router connected to a DSL modem :-D Yes,
    > I know, it's a mess, but it works.
    >
    > Nothing to do: IRIX will work either in DHCP mode or static IP,
    > whichever you prefer... Believe it or not, it works out of the box in a
    > much easier way than a WinXP machine!
    >
    > Put Samba on your IRIX box too, it'll work very well...

  4. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    >> Nothing to do: IRIX will work either in DHCP mode or static IP,
    >> whichever you prefer... Believe it or not, it works out of the box in a
    >> much easier way than a WinXP machine!
    >>
    >> Put Samba on your IRIX box too, it'll work very well...

    I also make use of a 4 port router and a hub.
    However, I've never had much luck with DHCP in IRIX. It seems 'flakey'
    to me. I would recommend assigning it a static IP address, with which
    I've never had any problems.

    Sinc.

  5. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    O.K. Another question.

    If all the boxes connected to the modem have a static IP, I can simply
    ftp files across from one to the other?

    Sincil Bank wrote:
    >>>Nothing to do: IRIX will work either in DHCP mode or static IP,
    >>>whichever you prefer... Believe it or not, it works out of the box in a
    >>>much easier way than a WinXP machine!
    >>>
    >>>Put Samba on your IRIX box too, it'll work very well...

    > I also make use of a 4 port router and a hub.
    > However, I've never had much luck with DHCP in IRIX. It seems 'flakey'
    > to me. I would recommend assigning it a static IP address, with which
    > I've never had any problems.
    >
    > Sinc.

  6. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    Spidy wrote:
    > O.K. Another question.
    >
    > If all the boxes connected to the modem have a static IP, I can simply
    > ftp files across from one to the other?

    >> I also make use of a 4 port router and a hub.
    >> However, I've never had much luck with DHCP in IRIX. It seems 'flakey'
    >> to me. I would recommend assigning it a static IP address, with which
    >> I've never had any problems.
    >>
    >> Sinc.

    ftp from Windows to IRIX, definitely. IRIX to Windows, yes if you have
    an ftp server on the Windows machines...

    A faster way would be to take advantage of Samba to let the Windows
    machines "see" your IRIX box as if it were a PC on the network...

  7. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    UNIX Museum wrote in message news:...
    > Spidy wrote:
    > >

    > ftp from Windows to IRIX, definitely. IRIX to Windows, yes if you have
    > an ftp server on the Windows machines...
    >
    > A faster way would be to take advantage of Samba to let the Windows
    > machines "see" your IRIX box as if it were a PC on the network...

    Samba seems to work pretty well on Irix. There is another option also.
    If you head over too Microsft's site you can download Windows Services
    for Unix 3.5 for free (or get the cd for free and just pay for
    shipping).

    This add on package will give you NFS client and server capabilities
    for your Windows box and then you could just use NFS instead of Samba.
    Plus you get a lot of useful Unix utilities for Windows.

    Cheers,

    Shawn

  8. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    O.K. Thanks for the advice. I guess I better start learning Samba.

    UNIX Museum wrote:
    > Spidy wrote:
    >
    >> O.K. Another question.
    >>
    >> If all the boxes connected to the modem have a static IP, I can simply
    >> ftp files across from one to the other?
    >>

    > ftp from Windows to IRIX, definitely. IRIX to Windows, yes if you have
    > an ftp server on the Windows machines...
    >
    > A faster way would be to take advantage of Samba to let the Windows
    > machines "see" your IRIX box as if it were a PC on the network...

  9. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    sjohnston@satshot.com (Shawn Johnston) wrote in message news:<33d2be31.0401300843.6d84c5d@posting.google.com>...

    > If you head over too Microsft's site you can download Windows Services
    > for Unix 3.5 for free (or get the cd for free and just pay for
    > shipping).
    >
    > This add on package will give you NFS client and server capabilities
    > for your Windows box and then you could just use NFS instead of Samba.
    > Plus you get a lot of useful Unix utilities for Windows.

    Do you have a url for this ? I admit to being partly lazy but the
    other reason for asking is that every time I try to find something
    at microsoft.com I end up breaking something. That must be one of
    the world's most frustrating sites.

  10. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    UNIX Museum wrote in message news:...

    > ftp from Windows to IRIX, definitely. IRIX to Windows, yes if you have
    > an ftp server on the Windows machines...

    for a free decent ftp server for Windows look at InetPowerServer.
    I think that's it's url, also. Not much in Windows-land as far as
    free utilities goes, ime. I used this one and it worked okay.

  11. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    Spidy wrote:
    > O.K. Thanks for the advice. I guess I better start learning Samba.
    >
    > UNIX Museum wrote:
    >> Spidy wrote:
    >>
    >>> O.K. Another question.
    >>>
    >>> If all the boxes connected to the modem have a static IP, I can simply
    >>> ftp files across from one to the other?
    >>>

    >> ftp from Windows to IRIX, definitely. IRIX to Windows, yes if you have
    >> an ftp server on the Windows machines...
    >>
    >> A faster way would be to take advantage of Samba to let the Windows
    >> machines "see" your IRIX box as if it were a PC on the network...

    Alternately, rather than make your beautiful IRIX system work with
    Windows, you could try making Windows work with IRIX.

    Microsoft now allow free downloads of its "Services for Unix" which
    will give you an NFS client & server along with a bunch of other unixy
    stuff.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu...es/default.asp

    (Note: I haven't used it myself, so don't take this as a recomendation)

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  12. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Excitable Boy wrote:

    > sjohnston@satshot.com (Shawn Johnston) wrote in message news:<33d2be31.0401300843.6d84c5d@posting.google.com>...
    >
    > > If you head over too Microsft's site you can download Windows Services
    > > for Unix 3.5 for free (or get the cd for free and just pay for
    > > shipping).

    > Do you have a url for this ?

    In case you've not already found it, Windows Services for Unix is
    available at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

    It looks like you'll need a Passport login to download the software.

    --
    Steven Harrison

    0 OK, 0:1

  13. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    Ivan Rayner wrote in message news:...

    > Alternately, rather than make your beautiful IRIX system work with
    > Windows, you could try making Windows work with IRIX.

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu...es/default.asp

    as we speak, this seems to be working :

    wget http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...FU35SEL_EN.exe

    slow as sloth snot so far, but for those who might not want to
    jump thru microsoft's hoops, be my guest :-)

  14. Re: ADSL and IRIX

    HI,

    Spidy wrote:
    > Can any SGI gurus here tell me if there are any issues in sharing an SGI
    > with other pc's on a 4 port ADSL router modem?

    Your are presumably running DHCP so there should a SGI guru that knows,
    a Mr S. Alexander of SGI who invented DHCP )

    http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/rfc/rfc21xx/RFC2132.html

    /michael

+ Reply to Thread