Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post) - SGI

This is a discussion on Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post) - SGI ; Good morning all, A friend of mine gave me an old Indigo2 with Irix 5.3 loaded on it. What he did not give me was the PROM password nor the root password. While investigating what to do next i decided ...

  1. Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    Good morning all,

    A friend of mine gave me an old Indigo2 with Irix 5.3 loaded on it.
    What he did not give me was the PROM password nor the root password.
    While investigating what to do next i decided to mount the drive in a
    linux system and see what could be done with the /etc/passwd file. i
    was successful in mounting the drive but before i could determine what
    i should do with the passwd file, i found the correct method of
    resetting the PROM password which should allow me to reset the root
    passwd properly.

    i reset the PROM password and rebooted the system only to be greeted
    with:
    "Autoboot Failed"

    System Diagnostics renders:
    "No SystemPartition set"

    autoboot gives me:
    "No default device and path in environment"

    ls scsi(0)disk(1) gives me:
    "dks0d1s0: volume header not valid"

    From the reading that i have done over the last few weeks (i do alot
    of reading now to ensure i don't bugger it up further), i can see that
    i need to get access to my CD using "Install System Software". This
    isn't so easy as i don't have a local CDROM.

    i recompiled a linux kernel to include the efs module only to find
    that it isn't capable of reading the CD. i know it should, i have
    read many posts about how to do it and it just keeps on spitting out:

    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t efs
    "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom, ..."

    i found efslook and it has allowed me to see the contents of the CD.
    There appear to be 3 areas on the CD with readable stuff. the first
    one has the following content;
    ..cshrc
    ..login
    ..profile
    bin
    dev
    etc
    lib
    sbin
    unix.IP12
    unix.IP17
    unix.IP6
    usr
    var

    the second has the following content:
    CDgrelnotes
    CDrelnotes
    dist
    help
    insight
    relnotes
    firmware
    stand
    REALEASE.info

    and the third has the same contents as the first.

    i can see in the stand directory of the second area files like:
    sash.IP12
    sash.IP17
    sash.IP9
    sashARCS
    ide.ip4
    ide.IP5
    ide.IP22
    fx.ARCS
    fx.IP12
    fx.IP17
    fx.IP6

    i have two questions stemming from this.

    1) the CD that i have is from IRIX 5.2. Can i safely use this
    mini-root/fx to restore my disk label?

    the command i have been given is:
    boot -f dksc(x,y,z)sashARCS dksc(x,y,w) stand/fx.ARCS --x

    which i will have to modify once i get the mini-root over the network.
    One step at a time although any hints here would be greatly
    appreciated.

    2) Should the above fail, which files do i need to get off the CD to
    get the indy reloaded with the IRIX 5.2?

    hopefully more is better and i have included all the necessary bits.

    thanks in advance,
    dean

  2. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    In article <769f2166.0401281116.5c38637a@posting.google.com>,
    gprs wrote:
    : A friend of mine gave me an old Indigo2 with Irix 5.3 loaded on it.

    :System Diagnostics renders:
    :"No SystemPartition set"

    Somehow you wrote over the label

    :i found efslook and it has allowed me to see the contents of the CD.
    :There appear to be 3 areas on the CD with readable stuff. the first
    ne has the following content;

    :unix.IP12

    :the second has the following content:

    :CDgrelnotes

    :and the third has the same contents as the first.

    Boot CDs only have one useful partition, partition 0, which is proceeded
    by the volume header, which is not in a real filesystem format. Partition
    10 overlaps everything so that the entire disk may be addressed.

    :1) the CD that i have is from IRIX 5.2. Can i safely use this
    :mini-root/fx to restore my disk label?

    Yes, but you will have problems until you figure out how big the
    old root partition was, how big the swap partition was, and whether
    there was a unified partition or a split root and usr partition.

    :the command i have been given is:
    :boot -f dksc(x,y,z)sashARCS dksc(x,y,w) stand/fx.ARCS --x

    Probably fx.ARCS is in the volume header directly, and you
    can probably call it out without using sash:

    boot -f dksc(x,y,z)fx.ARCS

    :2) Should the above fail, which files do i need to get off the CD to
    :get the indy reloaded with the IRIX 5.2?

    Lots. Most everything (but some stuff is optional.)
    --
    IMT made the sky
    Fall.

  3. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > :2) Should the above fail, which files do i need to get off the CD to
    > :get the indy reloaded with the IRIX 5.2?
    >
    > Lots. Most everything (but some stuff is optional.)

    at this stage id recommend getting a second SCSI disk and doing a fresh
    install with your 5.2, then once you have 5.2 running you can connect
    the first disc as an option disk and try mounting it.

    that way you dont do any further changes to the first disc and you have
    a chance of retaining any data that was on it.

    r15k

  4. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    r15k wrote in message news:...
    > Walter Roberson wrote:
    >

    > > :2) Should the above fail, which files do i need to get off the CD to
    > > :get the indy reloaded with the IRIX 5.2?
    > >
    > > Lots. Most everything (but some stuff is optional.)

    > at this stage id recommend getting a second SCSI disk and doing a fresh
    > install with your 5.2, then once you have 5.2 running you can connect
    > the first disc as an option disk and try mounting it.
    >
    > that way you dont do any further changes to the first disc and you have
    > a chance of retaining any data that was on it.
    >
    > r15k

    Thanks for the responses guys,

    K, yes installing on a second disk does sound like a good idea. my
    heart went aflutter when you suggested it...why didn't i think of
    that?...my hopes went up...until i remembered...i only have one drive
    sled.

    well, i guess if i have damaged it already i could put it into
    another linux system and mount it so that i can retrieve the data.

    What is the difference between overwriting the label and munging the
    partition table?

    Is it possible that the partition table is still intact (read: i can
    get that info from another system's fdisk)?

    once i have the partition boundaries (assuming this is possible) does
    it improve my chances recovery? and how does it change my strategy?
    (thinking outloud here without trying to formulate a plan first, but
    suggestions are appreciated).

    thanks again in advance,
    dean

  5. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    Am 29.01.04, 15:13:22, schrieb dbishop@ehvert.com (gprs) :

    [...]

    > K, yes installing on a second disk does sound like a good idea. my
    > heart went aflutter when you suggested it...why didn't i think of
    > that?...my hopes went up...until i remembered...i only have one drive
    > sled.

    if you open your Indy you'll see that Indy drive sled are just simple
    metal brackets. You can connect a second hard disk temporarily to the
    SCSI and the power connectors which are already there for the 2nd disk
    without any problems as long as you ensure proper isolation of the HD's
    electronics where it touches the bracket underneath

    Since you've probably not yet opened your Indy: it's simple, no tools
    required, but a little tricky; check the Indy Owners Guide

    HTH

    Rainer

    [...]

  6. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    Rainer Latka wrote in message news:<20040129.15184375@epox.rrllocal>...
    > Am 29.01.04, 15:13:22, schrieb dbishop@ehvert.com (gprs) :
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > K, yes installing on a second disk does sound like a good idea. my
    > > heart went aflutter when you suggested it...why didn't i think of
    > > that?...my hopes went up...until i remembered...i only have one drive

    > > sled.

    > if you open your Indy you'll see that Indy drive sled are just simple
    >
    > metal brackets. You can connect a second hard disk temporarily to the
    >
    > SCSI and the power connectors which are already there for the 2nd disk
    >
    > without any problems as long as you ensure proper isolation of the HD's
    >
    > electronics where it touches the bracket underneath
    >
    > Since you've probably not yet opened your Indy: it's simple, no tools
    >
    > required, but a little tricky; check the Indy Owners Guide
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rainer
    >
    > [...]

    yup, been inside before. Once to remove the drive and once to clear
    the PROM password. However, in order to connect a second drive to the
    one sled i would need a special cable that has a female connector and
    multiple male connectors. i just don't have one of these.

    thanks for the thought though.

    no bad suggestions.

    later,
    dean

  7. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <769f2166.0401281116.5c38637a@posting.google.com>,
    > gprs wrote:
    > : A friend of mine gave me an old Indigo2 with Irix 5.3 loaded on it.
    >
    > :System Diagnostics renders:
    > :"No SystemPartition set"
    >
    > Somehow you wrote over the label
    >
    > :i found efslook and it has allowed me to see the contents of the CD.
    > :There appear to be 3 areas on the CD with readable stuff. the first
    > ne has the following content;
    >
    > :unix.IP12
    >
    > :the second has the following content:
    >
    > :CDgrelnotes
    >
    > :and the third has the same contents as the first.
    >
    > Boot CDs only have one useful partition, partition 0, which is proceeded
    > by the volume header, which is not in a real filesystem format. Partition
    > 10 overlaps everything so that the entire disk may be addressed.
    >

    > :1) the CD that i have is from IRIX 5.2. Can i safely use this
    > :mini-root/fx to restore my disk label?
    >
    > Yes, but you will have problems until you figure out how big the
    > old root partition was, how big the swap partition was, and whether
    > there was a unified partition or a split root and usr partition.
    >

    > :the command i have been given is:
    > :boot -f dksc(x,y,z)sashARCS dksc(x,y,w) stand/fx.ARCS --x
    >
    > Probably fx.ARCS is in the volume header directly, and you
    > can probably call it out without using sash:
    >
    > boot -f dksc(x,y,z)fx.ARCS
    >

    > :2) Should the above fail, which files do i need to get off the CD to
    > :get the indy reloaded with the IRIX 5.2?
    >
    > Lots. Most everything (but some stuff is optional.)

    k, i know that this has been discussed and i though the general
    concensus was that the Irix inst CD can be read using any CDROM drive.
    Alas, i simply cannot mount this thing in Linux. It just keeps
    telling me something about EFS not supporting 512k blocks. wineffs
    doesn't want to play and efslook is pretty painful. Is there
    something that i am missing?

    Maybe i could remove the harddrive and put only a CDROM in the
    machine, then use the mini-root to copy the files to a Linux box??
    Geez, doesn't that sound like fun.

    thanks again,
    dean

  8. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    Brent sent me a message directly suggesting a resetenv. He also
    provided some env settings.

    AutoLoad=Y
    OSLoadFilename=/unix
    OSLoadOptions=auto
    OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
    OSLoader=sash
    SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
    diagmode=v

    i have put these in, they didn't exist and the resetenv just didn't do
    anything, so that my env looks lik this:

    AutoLoad=Y
    OSLoadFilename=/unix
    OSLoadOptions=auto
    OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
    OSLoader=sash
    SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
    diagmode=v
    TimeZone=PST8PDT
    Console=g
    Diagmode=v
    Diskless=0
    Dbaud=9600
    Volume=80
    Sgilogo=y
    Autopower=y
    Netaddr=192.0.2.1
    Eaddr=03:00:69:07:bb:6c
    ConsoleOut=video()
    ConsoleIn=keyboard()
    Cpufreq=150
    Gfx=alive

    Still no dice. Is anything missing?

    when i try to issue a:
    boot dksc(0,1,8)sash

    i get:

    dsk0d1s8: volume header not valid
    No volume header on device: scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/sash.

    am i still looking at a disk label problem?

    thanks tons,
    dean

  9. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    gprs wrote:
    > i have put these in, they didn't exist and the resetenv just didn't do
    > anything, so that my env looks lik this:

    > Eaddr=03:00:69:07:bb:6c

    ^
    Is that a typo? 03:00:69 is invalid; it should be 08:00:69

    > Still no dice. Is anything missing?

    No, that looks OK to me, except that on my Indys most of the variables
    *don't* have capital letters, apart from the OSLoadXXX, SystemPartition,
    and AutoLoad variables. I can't remember if they're case-sensitive (I
    think they are). And mine don't have "Autopower", they have
    "prompoweroff".

    > when i try to issue a:
    > boot dksc(0,1,8)sash

    > i get:

    > dsk0d1s8: volume header not valid
    > No volume header on device: scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/sash.

    > am i still looking at a disk label problem?

    It looks like it. You should be able just to type "boot", and it should
    load sash if all the OSLoadxxxx settings are correct, there is a valid
    disk label, and sash is on it.

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

  10. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    Am 30.01.04, 14:29:20, schrieb dbishop@ehvert.com (gprs) :

    > Rainer Latka wrote in message

    > > Am 29.01.04, 15:13:22, schrieb dbishop@ehvert.com (gprs) :
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > > K, yes installing on a second disk does sound like a good idea. my
    > > > heart went aflutter when you suggested it...why didn't i think of
    > > > that?...my hopes went up...until i remembered...i only have one drive

    > > > sled.

    > > if you open your Indy you'll see that Indy drive sled are just simple
    > >
    > > metal brackets. You can connect a second hard disk temporarily to the
    > >
    > > SCSI and the power connectors which are already there for the 2nd disk
    > >
    > > without any problems as long as you ensure proper isolation of the HD's
    > >
    > > electronics where it touches the bracket underneath
    > >
    > > Since you've probably not yet opened your Indy: it's simple, no tools
    > >
    > > required, but a little tricky; check the Indy Owners Guide
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Rainer
    > >
    > > [...]

    > yup, been inside before. Once to remove the drive and once to clear
    > the PROM password. However, in order to connect a second drive to the
    > one sled i would need a special cable that has a female connector and
    > multiple male connectors. i just don't have one of these.

    This sounds very strange and I can hardly believe it. All the Indys I
    have seen have standard 50 pin SCSI cables with a terminator at the end
    installed. The cable has three female connectors - one for the controller
    and two for two disk drives or one disk plus one floppy drive. These are
    standard SCSI cables w/o any SGI specific features. The integral
    terminator is a nice feature, but not really required; you can also set
    the termination jumper on the last drive you attach.

    If the cable in your Indy looks different, someone probably has replaced
    it. Dont worry, you can use any (well, some may exceed length
    limitations) 50-pin three (or more) connector SCSI cable and set the
    termination jumper on the last drive you attach. In this way you can also
    temporarily connect a SCSI CDROM. (You've probably been informed by now
    that all SCSI CDROMs do not work with SGI boxes. See Brent Bates' info
    pages).

    > thanks for the thought though.

    you're welcome, and you'll see it will work

    Rainer

    > no bad suggestions.

    > later,
    > dean

  11. Re: Old indy2 rendered unbootable... (long post)

    gprs wrote:
    > However, in order to connect a second drive to the
    > one sled i would need a special cable that has a female connector and
    > multiple male connectors. i just don't have one of these.

    nooo. take out old drive and disconnect. install new drive and install
    irix. no need for stress and trouble.

    r15k

+ Reply to Thread