New hard disk IRIX 5.3 - SGI

This is a discussion on New hard disk IRIX 5.3 - SGI ; Help would be very much appreciated. The system is an Indy runing Irix 5.3. I have aquired a second hand scsi hard disk (500Mb). I have removed the internal floptical drive and replaced it with the new hard disk. I ...

  1. New hard disk IRIX 5.3

    Help would be very much appreciated.

    The system is an Indy runing Irix 5.3.

    I have aquired a second hand scsi hard disk (500Mb). I have removed the
    internal floptical drive and replaced it with the new hard disk. I set the
    new disk's scsi id to 2.

    The drive was reconised when booted and I used the gui administration tools
    to initialise and mount the disk.

    The drive was read only. I could not change it to read/write using the mount
    options in the disk admin gui. I edited the fstab file and changed the
    options to rw. This seems to have worked.

    Problem.
    The disk size in the disk admin gui is reported as 0MB, when ever I write to
    it available space decreases (-143MB at last count). The 'df -kf' command
    seems to give me the correct sizes. Will this cause data lose when the disk
    is full? What can I do to correct the discrepency?

    Cheers Pier

  2. Re: New hard disk IRIX 5.3

    In article <400f083c$0$79386$7b628d20@titanium.syd.ntt.net.au>,
    Pier Federici wrote:
    :The system is an Indy runing Irix 5.3.

    :I have aquired a second hand scsi hard disk (500Mb).

    :The disk size in the disk admin gui is reported as 0MB, when ever I write to
    :it available space decreases (-143MB at last count). The 'df -kf' command
    :seems to give me the correct sizes. Will this cause data lose when the disk
    :is full? What can I do to correct the discrepency?

    Well known desktop bug, but it doesn't show up on disks less than 2 Gb --
    is it possible that the drive is really 2.5 Gb or so?

    The problem is that that the desktop was interpreting the size as an
    signed int, instead of as an unsigned long.

    --
    Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
    Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

  3. Re: New hard disk IRIX 5.3

    Forget that GUI app.

    use fx. At the prompt type fx -x and hit return.

    choose the correct controller (0) and disk (2)

    Then choose r for (r)epartition
    then choose o for (o)ption drive and repartition as option drive.

    hit .. and return a few times to get back to the main screen.
    type exi to exit.

    You might have to create a new label in (l)abl --> (c)reate

    afterwards make a new file system.
    mkfs /dev/rdsk/dks0d2s7 (change mkfs options as needed).

    That should help some.

    -Mike

    "Pier Federici" wrote in message news:<400f083c$0$79386$7b628d20@titanium.syd.ntt.net.au>...
    > Help would be very much appreciated.
    >
    > The system is an Indy runing Irix 5.3.
    >
    > I have aquired a second hand scsi hard disk (500Mb). I have removed the
    > internal floptical drive and replaced it with the new hard disk. I set the
    > new disk's scsi id to 2.
    >
    > The drive was reconised when booted and I used the gui administration tools
    > to initialise and mount the disk.
    >
    > The drive was read only. I could not change it to read/write using the mount
    > options in the disk admin gui. I edited the fstab file and changed the
    > options to rw. This seems to have worked.
    >
    > Problem.
    > The disk size in the disk admin gui is reported as 0MB, when ever I write to
    > it available space decreases (-143MB at last count). The 'df -kf' command
    > seems to give me the correct sizes. Will this cause data lose when the disk
    > is full? What can I do to correct the discrepency?
    >
    > Cheers Pier

+ Reply to Thread