Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe. - SGI

This is a discussion on Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe. - SGI ; Hi All, Every so often there's a thread here that either moans of impossible or groans of frustration about getting MJPEG footage off an O2 into a PeeCee, generally for compression to something small, modern and destinctly PeeCee-ish like DivX ...

  1. Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe.

    Hi All,

    Every so often there's a thread here that either moans of impossible or
    groans
    of frustration about getting MJPEG footage off an O2 into a PeeCee,
    generally
    for compression to something small, modern and destinctly PeeCee-ish
    like DivX
    and Xvid. So here's my recipe for brilliant analogue O2 capture and fast
    PeeCee
    compression.

    I;ve used this without any dropped frames or other nonesense with a
    180Mhz
    512KB SC r5k O2, a 200Mhz 1Mb SC r5k O2 and a 250Mhz 1Mb SC r10k O2.

    0. install on PeeCee:

    a. the morgan multimedia mjpeg codec version 3.0.0.9,
    b. the Koepi Binary for Windows of the Xvid codec.
    c. VirtualDub

    I find the Xvid codec to be better than DivX, also I prefer their
    politics.

    1. set O2 MVP device settings using the 'vcp' video control panel. Use
    'videoin' to help you get it right.

    Certain low-end VCR's don;t produce a signal that the O2 can use
    properly. Get a better VCR or a TBC, there's nothing wrong with your O2.

    Here are my personal favourites, I like high-contrast images and
    slightly
    under-saturated colours:

    (X) Auto gain control
    Aperture 0.25
    Bandspass freq: 4.1
    Chroma bandwidth: 920
    luma delay -74 nSec

    brightness 132.000
    contrast 1.140
    saturation .875
    hue -11.250

    2. have a look at the load on your O2, make sure you've got next to
    nothing
    running in the background, and don;t use the machine for other things
    whilst
    grabbing or you'll get dropped frames. Guaranteed.

    3. grab footage on O2 into an AVI file with 'dmrecord' like so:

    dmrecord -v -a -t nnnn -p audio -p video,comp=jpeg,quality=95
    somefile.avi

    where nnnn is the number of seconds you want to grab.

    (top righthand corner of the Morgan Codec UI, red smily thing in the
    toolbox)

    5. make sure Samba is running on the O2, else you need to copy multi-Gb
    files to the PeeCee, with Samba you simply load the footage over the
    wire as needed.

    6. open your footage into VirtualDub using the 'Open file' dialog. After
    selecting the somefile.avi file containing the footage, check the option
    'ask
    for extended options afer this dialog'.

    7. when the extended option dialog appears, check 'force video format
    FourCC' and 'force video codec handler FourCC' and set both of these
    options to 'jpeg'.

    8. the selected M-JPEG video will now load into VirtualDub faultlessly.

    9. From here on it is all about using VirtualDub and other PeeCee
    compressed
    video utilities. There are a million guides about how to do this, but it
    would
    seem that www.doom9.com is a good place to start.

    I hope this helps somebody

    grts,

    avi

  2. Re: Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe.

    http://www.bluechillies.com/download.html?sid=7296

    http://roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

    > c. VirtualDub

    http://www.virtualdub.org/

    Put in links for the terminally lazy (like myself).

  3. Re: Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe.

    the last URL is wrong too, should be:

    http://www.doom9.org/

    not .com

    Cheers

  4. Re: Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe.

    (Snip)

    Thanks guys. I have plans to do exactly this coming up soon.

    Much appreciated.

  5. Re: Grabbing video with O2 for use on PeeCee, a recipe.

    Avi Bercovich wrote in message news:<400D8E16.AF5ED976@sillypages.org>...

    > I hope this helps somebody

    Lots ! Thanks muchas. Now if I'd only thought to have the O2 set up
    for Spring Festival ... you guys would not believe the fireworks
    here.

+ Reply to Thread