OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores - SGI

This is a discussion on OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores - SGI ; I have a few (4 for now, more to come) OSX 10.3.2 clients, NFS mounting a directory from an O200 server, and several times a day, the rpcbind dies, and leaves a core file. I then have to start/stop the ...

  1. OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores

    I have a few (4 for now, more to come) OSX 10.3.2 clients, NFS
    mounting a directory from an O200 server, and several times a day, the
    rpcbind dies, and leaves a core file. I then have to start/stop the
    network, and all is fine. The way I find out it's died, is the OSX
    clients bitch about it.

    Any ideas? thoughts? things to try?

  2. Re: OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores

    dmacpher> I have a few (4 for now, more to come) OSX 10.3.2 clients,
    dmacpher> NFS mounting a directory from an O200 server, and several
    dmacpher> times a day, the rpcbind dies, and leaves a core file. I
    dmacpher> then have to start/stop the network, and all is fine. The
    dmacpher> way I find out it's died, is the OSX clients bitch about
    dmacpher> it.

    dmacpher> Any ideas? thoughts? things to try?

    Irix version? Why do you run rpcbind and not portmap? Where exactly
    does it die?

    max

  3. Re: OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores

    Max Matveev wrote in message news:...

    > dmacpher> I have a few (4 for now, more to come) OSX 10.3.2 clients,
    > dmacpher> NFS mounting a directory from an O200 server, and several
    > dmacpher> times a day, the rpcbind dies, and leaves a core file. I
    > dmacpher> then have to start/stop the network, and all is fine. The
    > dmacpher> way I find out it's died, is the OSX clients bitch about
    > dmacpher> it.
    >
    > dmacpher> Any ideas? thoughts? things to try?
    >
    > Irix version? Why do you run rpcbind and not portmap? Where exactly
    > does it die?

    6.5.17f on that machine, i am just starting the big download now of
    ..22f
    rpcbind - not sure why it's running, this box was built a long time
    ago, I will investigate more. And where it dies... good question,
    here's what pattern i've noticed in the last 3 days, when the osx
    clients reboot, or a new one joins the network, they all end up losing
    their NFS connection, and I need to start/stop the network and all is
    fine. I find a core file, that is usualy time stamped with
    approximately the time NFS stopped working, and the command file tells
    me it's from rpcbind.

  4. Re: OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores

    dmacpher> 6.5.17f on that machine, i am just starting the big
    dmacpher> download now of .22f

    There were a few things updated in rpcbind since .17, so there is a
    good chance you problem has been fixed.

    dmacpher> rpcbind - not sure why it's running, this box was built a long time
    dmacpher> ago, I will investigate more.

    Most likely you've got eoe.sw.svr4net installed.

    dmacpher> And where it dies... good question, here's what pattern
    dmacpher> i've noticed in the last 3 days, when the osx clients
    dmacpher> reboot, or a new one joins the network, they all end up
    dmacpher> losing their NFS connection, and I need to start/stop the
    dmacpher> network and all is fine. I find a core file, that is usualy
    dmacpher> time stamped with approximately the time NFS stopped
    dmacpher> working, and the command file tells me it's from rpcbind.

    Do you have dbx on this machine? If you do,

    # dbx /usr/etc/rpcbind /core
    (dbx) where

    should give you the backtrace and somewhat better understanding of
    what's going on. Failing that, try snoop(1)ing traffic on port 111 and
    then correlate the time with the timestamp on core file.

    max

  5. Re: OSX clients, Irix SGI server, NFS problem, rpcbind cores

    Max Matveev wrote in message news:...

    > Most likely you've got eoe.sw.svr4net installed.

    yes it is.. I fired up portmap, seems to be working fine

    > Do you have dbx on this machine? If you do,
    >
    > # dbx /usr/etc/rpcbind /core

    No I don't but I will try and install it.

+ Reply to Thread