Similarites between hpux and irix - SGI

This is a discussion on Similarites between hpux and irix - SGI ; Hi Guys and Dolls, Wondering if anyone can help me with this little problem. I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about IRIX. Does anyone have any information of what exists in IRIX ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Similarites between hpux and irix

    Hi Guys and Dolls,

    Wondering if anyone can help me with this little problem.

    I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    IRIX.

    Does anyone have any information of what exists in IRIX , and what it
    is in hpux ?

    I know that the disk devices are pretty much the similar (rather than
    the Linux standard).

    Anything else ..?

    Thanks

    Ive

  2. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    In article ,
    Ivan Marshall wrote:
    >Hi Guys and Dolls,
    >
    >Wondering if anyone can help me with this little problem.
    >
    >I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    >IRIX.
    >
    >Does anyone have any information of what exists in IRIX , and what it
    >is in hpux ?

    http://techpubs.sgi.com has all the IRIX manuals on line.

    A book which shows system admin for various UN*X versions including
    IRIX and HP-UX is
    Essential System Administration
    Aeleen Frisch
    Pub by O'Reilly & Assoc
    (I like this book. I have no financial interest in it.)
    Useful for a comparison.

    >I know that the disk devices are pretty much the similar (rather than
    >the Linux standard).
    >
    >Anything else ..?

    There are areas of difference, but also major areas where things
    are the same across all the UN*X variants.
    (Many derived from ATT SYSV R4, including IRIX)
    One that is quite different in the config files area is
    Mac OS X, which is not in the 2nd ed of ESA I have on my desk.

    The 3rd Edition is out, but Amazon shows the table of contents
    etc from the 2nd edition, I don't know what is new in the 3rd ed.
    Hmm. Time to order...

    David Anderson

  3. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    > >I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    > >IRIX.

    Tell you one thing about IRIX, it is hell to install. HP-UX, Solaris,
    AIX are reasonably easy. But you have to be a rocket scientist to
    install IRIX correctly and it takes ages compared to the others.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

  4. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    :
    : Tell you one thing about IRIX, it is hell to install. HP-UX, Solaris,
    : AIX are reasonably easy. But you have to be a rocket scientist to
    : install IRIX correctly and it takes ages compared to the others.

    You've got to be kidding. I could fall asleep while installing IRIX.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  5. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    John Burns wrote:
    >>>I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    >>>IRIX.

    > Tell you one thing about IRIX, it is hell to install. HP-UX, Solaris,
    > AIX are reasonably easy. But you have to be a rocket scientist to
    > install IRIX correctly and it takes ages compared to the others.

    Strange, IRIX is in my experience not significantly more complicated to
    install than other commercial *NIX systems. In fact I found it much more
    pleasant to install than Solaris and several GNU/Linux distributions.

    Did you punch a hole in your IRIX installation media perhaps?

    grts,

    avi

  6. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    In article ,
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    :You've got to be kidding. I could fall asleep while installing IRIX.

    I -have- fallen asleep while installing IRIX ;-)
    --
    Strange but true: there are entire WWW pages devoted to listing
    programs designed to obfuscate HTML.

  7. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Dans article ,
    davea@quasar.engr.sgi.com disait...

    > A book which shows system admin for various UN*X versions including
    > IRIX and HP-UX is
    > Essential System Administration
    > Aeleen Frisch

    It's a great book, but the current revision (thrid edition) got rid of
    IRIX and IIRC HPox in favor of... Linux and FreeBSD.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  8. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    > I -have- fallen asleep while installing IRIX ;-)

    I have WANTED to! The first few times you do it, not at all easy.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

  9. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    In article ,
    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    >Dans article ,
    >davea@quasar.engr.sgi.com disait...
    >>
    >> A book which shows system admin for various UN*X versions including
    >> IRIX and HP-UX is
    >> Essential System Administration
    >> Aeleen Frisch
    >>

    >It's a great book, but the current revision (thrid edition) got rid of
    >IRIX and IIRC HPox in favor of... Linux and FreeBSD.

    That's disappointing. The 2nd edition seems available on
    Amazon cheaply (though one has to ask for 'all editions' and it
    took a bit of work to figure out how to get there). (earlier
    edition used-book listings for this book generally don't
    mention which edition is being sold -- not nice.)

    I recommend the 2nd edition for IRIX/HPUX users who like
    comparing UN*Xes. I did order the 3rd edition today, now I'll have to
    keep two editions on the shelf...

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea

  10. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    John Burns wrote:

    >>I -have- fallen asleep while installing IRIX ;-)

    > I have WANTED to! The first few times you do it, not at all easy.

    If you do it first time from scratch, including prepping the
    harddrive(s) etc. - yes, indeed. You need to remember the proper spells
    for casting before things start to get going. Later on it becomes quite
    a boring and certainly not challenging routine.

  11. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    In news:400C4972.1C96@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John Burns wrote:

    > The first few times you do it, not at all easy.

    I remember installing 6.5 from scratch for the first time on my Indy.
    Granted the Indy is a slow machine but I had a fast CD-ROM. Fx is
    simple and fast and Inst couldn't be a better tool. The most tedious
    thing is feeding in multiple CDs at the right time. Too bad IRIX isn't
    on DVD. Booting to the miniroot could be made easier. I always liked
    SUNs install boot command: boot cdrom.

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  12. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    > In article <400C17FB.2E4@unixnerd.demon.co.uk>,
    > John Burns wrote:
    >
    > : > >I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    > : > >IRIX.
    > :
    > : Tell you one thing about IRIX, it is hell to install. HP-UX, Solaris,
    > : AIX are reasonably easy. But you have to be a rocket scientist to
    > : install IRIX correctly and it takes ages compared to the others.
    >
    > You've got to be kidding. I could fall asleep while installing IRIX.

    Oh hell, I fall asleep installing Irix all the time. I have
    everything automated in scripts, after typing in just a few commands,
    and selecting which version I want, from 6.5 - 6.5.22, I hit the
    return key, then "Q", and "Y" for "quit", and "yes" to reboot, and
    come back 25 minutes later to the login screen. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

    I do a lot of installs, sometimes a few dozen per week. But not
    this month, sheesh. That's why I'm testy. Not enough sleep.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  13. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Ive_Marshall@Hotmail.com (Ivan Marshall) writes:

    > Hi Guys and Dolls,
    >
    > Wondering if anyone can help me with this little problem.
    >
    > I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    > IRIX.
    >
    > Does anyone have any information of what exists in IRIX , and what it
    > is in hpux ?
    >
    > I know that the disk devices are pretty much the similar (rather than
    > the Linux standard).

    The Unix Rosetta stone can be a useful help initially.

    http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

    *p

  14. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Come on, what's the difficult here?

    fx
    inst
    from /CDROM
    install all
    from /CDROM
    install all
    from /CDROM
    install all
    from /CDROM
    install all
    from /CDROM
    install all
    ....ok I'll stop now
    remove *.sw64
    Hay, I've got an Indy, eh?
    remove *.lib64
    remove *.64
    go
    go to sleep
    wake up next morning and go to EZsetup

  15. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    John how ya doin,
    I've still got the G50 in my parents house....(there not too happy with me
    leaving it there lol).

    Irix is very easy to install. I like the install system much more than the
    HP-UX system. Just bash in install default with in the inst system,
    conflicts, then go :-) Job done!

    Irix has the nice thing that the x server doesn't break every time you
    change the system name or ip address lol (had this one many a time on
    HP's).

    IRIX seems so streight forward to me. It's a total walk though. swmgr or
    inst is so much nicer than swinstall or any of the sam stuff.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, John Burns wrote:

    > > >I am currently a hpux admin. , but I would like to know more about
    > > >IRIX.

    > Tell you one thing about IRIX, it is hell to install. HP-UX, Solaris,
    > AIX are reasonably easy. But you have to be a rocket scientist to
    > install IRIX correctly and it takes ages compared to the others.
    >

    > --
    > Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
    > Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    > Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    > Need Sun or HP Unix kit? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html

  16. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Greg Douglas wrote:

    > Oh hell, I fall asleep installing Irix all the time. I have
    > everything automated in scripts, after typing in just a few commands,
    > and selecting which version I want, from 6.5 - 6.5.22, I hit the
    > return key, then "Q", and "Y" for "quit", and "yes" to reboot, and
    > come back 25 minutes later to the login screen. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

    Your scripts make me jealous. Mine, I have to type a few incantations
    to netboot, tftp over the scripts, run the install, run a postinstall
    script (to tell it its name), reboot, run another postinstall script.
    All that after changing firewall rules on my install server to let it
    through. It's a real PITA, though when installing 10 machines it
    certainly pays off.

    A few years later, I did a much better job under linux. One command,
    and leave it. When I come back there's a user sitting there working.
    Of course, that was years later, so my experience may have helped.

    As for the difficulties of IRIX, let me just say that it isn't really
    any greener on the other side. At least IRIX made consistent backups
    when using xfsdump. Linux dump makes backups that are totally
    corrupt (pieces of users' files mixed in with other users' files if
    the filesystem was active). Currently trying to work around this by
    using snapshots....

    Damian Menscher
    --
    -=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
    -=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc217)333-0038 |#=-

  17. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    You forgot one step there...

    Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
    > Come on, what's the difficult here?
    >
    > fx
    > inst
    > from /CDROM
    > install all
    > from /CDROM
    > install all
    > from /CDROM
    > install all
    > from /CDROM
    > install all
    > from /CDROM
    > install all
    > ...ok I'll stop now
    > remove *.sw64
    > Hay, I've got an Indy, eh?
    > remove *.lib64
    > remove *.64

    .... set the CD changer up properly...

    > go
    > go to sleep
    > wake up next morning and go to EZsetup

    Still, you get a better sleep (no CD change noises) if you do it over
    NFS or so... :-)

  18. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    "<<>>" wrote in message
    > In news:400C4972.1C96@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John Burns wrote:
    >
    > > The first few times you do it, not at all easy.

    > I remember installing 6.5 from scratch for the first time on my Indy.
    > Granted the Indy is a slow machine but I had a fast CD-ROM. Fx is
    > simple and fast and Inst couldn't be a better tool. The most tedious
    > thing is feeding in multiple CDs at the right time. Too bad IRIX isn't
    > on DVD. Booting to the miniroot could be made easier. I always liked
    > SUNs install boot command: boot cdrom.
    >
    > --

    Don't complain. I used to install IRIX years ago from QIC tapes.

  19. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Damian Menscher wrote:
    > As for the difficulties of IRIX, let me just say that it isn't really
    > any greener on the other side. At least IRIX made consistent backups
    > when using xfsdump. Linux dump makes backups that are totally
    > corrupt (pieces of users' files mixed in with other users' files if
    > the filesystem was active). Currently trying to work around this by
    > using snapshots....

    You could use XFS and xfsdump under Linux, of course. Or are you saying
    that Linux xfsdump is buggy?

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  20. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Ivan Rayner wrote:
    > Damian Menscher wrote:
    >> As for the difficulties of IRIX, let me just say that it isn't really
    >> any greener on the other side. At least IRIX made consistent backups
    >> when using xfsdump. Linux dump makes backups that are totally
    >> corrupt (pieces of users' files mixed in with other users' files if
    >> the filesystem was active). Currently trying to work around this by
    >> using snapshots....

    > You could use XFS and xfsdump under Linux, of course. Or are you saying
    > that Linux xfsdump is buggy?

    Yeah, I just didn't bother to mess with getting XFS support on this
    box (RH9, and didn't want to do anything that would make maintenance
    nonstandard). So it's running with ext3.

    My only complaint with xfsdump was that it didn't tunnel through ssh
    easily (is it possible at all?).

    Damian Menscher