Similarites between hpux and irix - SGI

This is a discussion on Similarites between hpux and irix - SGI ; Damian Menscher wrote: > Ivan Rayner wrote: >> You could use XFS and xfsdump under Linux, of course. > > Yeah, I just didn't bother to mess with getting XFS support on this > box (RH9, and didn't want to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Damian Menscher wrote:
    > Ivan Rayner wrote:
    >> You could use XFS and xfsdump under Linux, of course.

    > Yeah, I just didn't bother to mess with getting XFS support on this
    > box (RH9, and didn't want to do anything that would make maintenance
    > nonstandard). So it's running with ext3.

    It's that sort of argument that will see you installing Windows soon!

    > My only complaint with xfsdump was that it didn't tunnel through ssh
    > easily (is it possible at all?).

    xfsdump references /usr/bin/rsh (or whatever the path is) directly, and
    there's no environment variable that can be set to change it. So a
    solution would have to involve replacing that binary with ssh or a
    script which will optionally invoke rsh or ssh as you wish.

    However, I'm not really familiar enough with ssh use to know whether
    this would work or not...

    If you're familiar with C at all, you could look at the librmt code
    that comes with xfsdump on Linux. The way it invokes rsh (or rmt) is
    not complicated and could easily be altered. If you did make such
    changes, you could send them to the linux-xfs mailing list, where
    they'd more than likely be accepted.

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  2. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    > I remember installing 6.5 from scratch for the first time on my Indy.
    > Granted the Indy is a slow machine but I had a fast CD-ROM. Fx is
    > simple and fast and Inst couldn't be a better tool. The most tedious
    > thing is feeding in multiple CDs at the right time. Too bad IRIX isn't
    > on DVD. Booting to the miniroot could be made easier. I always liked
    > SUNs install boot command: boot cdrom.

    Actually, just a better layout of the packages on CD could help reduce
    the amount of CD swapping required for certain installs.

  3. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    This page should give you what you need:

    http://www.unixguide.net/unixguide.shtml

  4. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    Trond Eirik Aune wrote:

    > This page should give you what you need:
    >
    > http://www.unixguide.net/unixguide.shtml

    I dont see how?
    There is no IRIX on that table as far as I can tell

  5. Re: Similarites between hpux and irix

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:25:08 -0500, mike wrote:

    >There is no IRIX on that table as far as I can tell

    You want the Unix Rosetta - one of these should do you:

    This one allows to pick what Unixes to display:

    http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

    Here is a pdf version:
    http://inferno.slug.org/pdf/refcards/unix-rosetta.pdf

+ Reply to Thread