Indigo2 Boot Problem - SGI

This is a discussion on Indigo2 Boot Problem - SGI ; Hello all, I recently put together an Indigo2 R10K 195 system with a High Impact grahics set. On power up everything is normal but it remains at "starting up the system" screen no matter if I try single user mode ...

  1. Indigo2 Boot Problem

    Hello all,

    I recently put together an Indigo2 R10K 195 system with a High Impact
    grahics set. On power up everything is normal but it remains at "starting
    up the system" screen no matter if I try single user mode or normal startup
    .. I have run "ide re" and the test results report no problems. I can log in
    to the machine as root remotely but have no clue why it won't go to the
    login screen. 6.5.16 is the version of IRIX currenly on the machine. I
    don't have my new CD's yet so I can't just reload the OS.

    Any help is much appreciated!!!

    Randy

  2. Re: Indigo2 Boot Problem

    eurakabel wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I recently put together an Indigo2 R10K 195 system with a High Impact
    > grahics set. On power up everything is normal but it remains at "starting
    > up the system" screen no matter if I try single user mode or normal startup
    > . I have run "ide re" and the test results report no problems. I can log in
    > to the machine as root remotely but have no clue why it won't go to the
    > login screen. 6.5.16 is the version of IRIX currenly on the machine.

    If your disk is from a non Impact graphics set (e.g. if you've upgraded
    from Extreme to High Impact), you'll need to reload
    major portions of the OS. Sometimes easier to just reload the whole OS.

    > don't have my new CD's yet so I can't just reload the OS.

    Uh oh.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com