IRIX 6.5 update - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX 6.5 update - SGI ; Hi all, I'm "new" user of IRIX, and i have a simple question Can i upgrade my current installation with IRIX 6.5.4 directly to IRIX 6.5.19 ? Thanks of any infomation Davis....

  1. IRIX 6.5 update

    Hi all,
    I'm "new" user of IRIX, and i have a simple question

    Can i upgrade my current installation with IRIX 6.5.4 directly to IRIX
    6.5.19 ?

    Thanks of any infomation

    Davis.

  2. Re: IRIX 6.5 update

    DaviS* wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm "new" user of IRIX, and i have a simple question
    >
    > Can i upgrade my current installation with IRIX 6.5.4 directly to IRIX
    > 6.5.19 ?

    yes.

    pop in 6.5.19 overlays, fire up swmgr and away you go...

    google could have told you this...

  3. Re: IRIX 6.5 update

    IRIX Central wrote:

    >> Can i upgrade my current installation with IRIX 6.5.4 directly to IRIX
    >> 6.5.19 ?
    >>

    > yes.

    > pop in 6.5.19 overlays, fire up swmgr and away you go...

    erm - which version of IRIX was it, that destroyed the PROM on the octane
    and rendering the machine useless when doing a live upgrade this way ?

    just curious ...

  4. Re: IRIX 6.5 update

    I think the ver of irix that does this is 6.5.22 or 6.5.21. I have 6.5.21
    and won't install it as I don't know if it's the kiss of death or not.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 guest@freeterm18.ic-d.ca wrote:

    > IRIX Central wrote:
    >
    > >> Can i upgrade my current installation with IRIX 6.5.4 directly to IRIX
    > >> 6.5.19 ?
    > >>

    > > yes.

    > > pop in 6.5.19 overlays, fire up swmgr and away you go...

    > erm - which version of IRIX was it, that destroyed the PROM on the octane
    > and rendering the machine useless when doing a live upgrade this way ?
    >
    > just curious ...

  5. Re: IRIX 6.5 update

    wrote:
    > erm - which version of IRIX was it, that destroyed the PROM on the octane
    > and rendering the machine useless when doing a live upgrade this way ?
    >
    > just curious ...

    That's 6.5.22. You need patch 5086.

  6. Re: IRIX 6.5 update

    Lewis Saunders wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > erm - which version of IRIX was it, that destroyed the PROM on the octane
    > > and rendering the machine useless when doing a live upgrade this way ?
    > >
    > > just curious ...

    > That's 6.5.22. You need patch 5086.

    It was definitely not .22. I did the last 10 or so releases all live,
    every 3 months one, on the Octane I am typing this, and I never got
    in trouble. Well with one of them, SGI Belgium told me I must have been
    very lucky, as I was one of the few who succeeded in doing it without
    ruining
    the Octane prom, but it definitely was not .22.

    From what I can find from the patch lists on SGI, it must have been .20
    (I had
    to install patch 5113 to be sure).

    You need patch 5086 to go live from a .20 or less release to .21 or
    higher.

    Rudi

+ Reply to Thread