Strange GUI behavior... - SGI

This is a discussion on Strange GUI behavior... - SGI ; I'm experiencing a strange problem when attempting to view certain directories by browsing to them via a GUI window. OS is IRIX 6.5.18f running on an Octane MXI R12K/300. If I open the root directory (/)in a window by double-clicking ...

  1. Strange GUI behavior...

    I'm experiencing a strange problem when attempting to view certain
    directories by browsing to them via a GUI window. OS is IRIX 6.5.18f
    running on an Octane MXI R12K/300.

    If I open the root directory (/)in a window by double-clicking the
    folder alias on the desktop, then double-click either the /dev or the
    the /etc folders, the stopwatch icon appears and the GUI seems to hang
    (although mouse movement is not affected). I am then unable to launch
    anything from the toolchest other than a shell window. Rebooting will
    sometimes close the rogue window and allow normal functioning, but
    sometimes the "stuck" window persists even after a reboot.

    Looking in the /etc directory either via command line (ls) or
    browsing to it via Netscape, I'm able to view and open its contents with
    no problems. Also, if I manually type in a subdirectory path into the
    address bar of a GUI window (i.e. /etc/config), the directory opens up
    just fine.

    What could be causing this behavior? I'd be happy to post any other
    relevant system info, I'm just not certain where to begin. Thanks in
    advance.

    -zolo

  2. Re: Strange GUI behavior...

    In article , zolo wrote:
[...]

    A thought: the GUI attempts to figure out what kind of file each thing
    is, by stat()'ing it, and if it seems to be a regular file, reading a bit
    from the file and checking against /etc/magic and it's file type rules.
    If something were holding up the reading of the files, then the GUI would
    get stuck.

    Question: is NFS involved?

    My first thought was "named pipes", but the GUI -should- notice those
    are not regular files and shouldn't open them.

    If NFS is not involved, then I would suggest taking your system down
    to the miniroot and running xfs_check and xfs_repair if need be.
    --
    Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
    polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith

  3. Re: Strange GUI behavior...

    > If I open the root directory (/)in a window by double-clicking the
    > folder alias on the desktop, then double-click either the /dev or the
    > the /etc folders, the stopwatch icon appears and the GUI seems to hang
    > (although mouse movement is not affected). I am then unable to launch
    > anything from the toolchest other than a shell window. Rebooting will
    > sometimes close the rogue window and allow normal functioning, but
    > sometimes the "stuck" window persists even after a reboot.

    strange.. you might want to see if this happens if you call fm manually "fm
    /etc &" - if it gets stuck you should be able to do a regular "xkill"
    without hurting your system. It might be a corruption issue.

+ Reply to Thread