How to use the boot-time background as wallaper? - SGI

This is a discussion on How to use the boot-time background as wallaper? - SGI ; Hi experts, I know this is a trivial question, but I'm trying to do the following: I want to be able to use the boot-time background picture on my Octane as my desktop's wallpaper... I know how to customize the ...

  1. How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    Hi experts,
    I know this is a trivial question, but I'm trying to do the following: I
    want to be able to use the boot-time background picture on my Octane as
    my desktop's wallpaper... I know how to customize the background, no
    problem there, but where is the picture?

    Thanks in adavce for the help

  2. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    Unix Museum wrote:
    > Hi experts,
    > I know this is a trivial question, but I'm trying to do the following: I
    > want to be able to use the boot-time background picture on my Octane as
    > my desktop's wallpaper... I know how to customize the background, no
    > problem there, but where is the picture?

    it is in the SGI prom, one of the chips on the motherboard, you'll have
    to hacksaw the chip off and then hammer it into a eeprom reader.

    actually there is some way of reading the prom another way but im not
    sure how its done, i have seen indy and indigo prom backups on the net
    though.

    r15k

  3. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:09:19 +0100, r15k wrote:

    > Unix Museum wrote:
    >> Hi experts,
    >> I know this is a trivial question, but I'm trying to do the following: I
    >> want to be able to use the boot-time background picture on my Octane as
    >> my desktop's wallpaper... I know how to customize the background, no
    >> problem there, but where is the picture?

    > it is in the SGI prom, one of the chips on the motherboard, you'll have
    > to hacksaw the chip off and then hammer it into a eeprom reader.
    >
    > actually there is some way of reading the prom another way but im not
    > sure how its done, i have seen indy and indigo prom backups on the net
    > though.
    >
    > r15k

    That's what I feared... Although, these background pictures must have been
    made at some point, which means that there is a digital version
    somewhere...

  4. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    r15k wrote:
    > Unix Museum wrote:
    >
    >> Hi experts,
    >> I know this is a trivial question, but I'm trying to do the following: I
    >> want to be able to use the boot-time background picture on my Octane as
    >> my desktop's wallpaper... I know how to customize the background, no
    >> problem there, but where is the picture?

    > it is in the SGI prom, one of the chips on the motherboard, you'll have
    > to hacksaw the chip off and then hammer it into a eeprom reader.

    LOL. Hilarious.

    In an earlier post asking a similar suggestion, someone suggested taking
    a picture of the monitor with a high resolution digital camera. Would
    be less distortion if you used a completely flat screen CRT, or better
    yet, an LCD flatpanel as the photographic subject.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

  5. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    UNIX Museum wrote:
    > Although, these background pictures must have been made at some point,
    > which means that there is a digital version somewhere...

    It's inside the firmware updates (f.e.) that ship with (some) IRIX
    overlays. There is a webpage out there with all the logos extracted. So
    all you have to do is go there, pick the logo you want to have, fire up
    the paintprogram of your choice, insert the logo, resize it, change
    colors and you are done :-).

    --
    PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30

  6. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    Greg Douglas wrote:

    > r15k wrote:
    > > Unix Museum wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi experts,
    > >> I know this is a trivial question, but I'm trying to do the following: I
    > >> want to be able to use the boot-time background picture on my Octane as
    > >> my desktop's wallpaper... I know how to customize the background, no
    > >> problem there, but where is the picture?

    > > it is in the SGI prom, one of the chips on the motherboard, you'll have
    > > to hacksaw the chip off and then hammer it into a eeprom reader.

    > LOL. Hilarious.
    >
    > In an earlier post asking a similar suggestion, someone suggested taking
    > a picture of the monitor with a high resolution digital camera. Would
    > be less distortion if you used a completely flat screen CRT, or better
    > yet, an LCD flatpanel as the photographic subject.

    why not take the flatscreen monitor, and put that on a scanner!

    oh, it's all becoming so clear to me now!

    > --
    > Greg Douglas
    > http://www.reputable.com

  7. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    SkyWriter wrote in message news:<40026122.4E9479E7@mrnutty.com>...
    > Greg Douglas wrote:
    >
    > > r15k wrote:

    > > > it is in the SGI prom, one of the chips on the motherboard, you'll have
    > > > to hacksaw the chip off and then hammer it into a eeprom reader.

    > > LOL. Hilarious.
    > >
    > > In an earlier post asking a similar suggestion, someone suggested taking
    > > a picture of the monitor with a high resolution digital camera. Would
    > > be less distortion if you used a completely flat screen CRT, or better
    > > yet, an LCD flatpanel as the photographic subject.
    > >

    > why not take the flatscreen monitor, and put that on a scanner!
    >
    > oh, it's all becoming so clear to me now!
    >

    > > --
    > > Greg Douglas
    > > http://www.reputable.com

    ARE YOU SERIUS! LOL That's how blonds print e-mails!!!!!
    lolol

  8. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    Ricardo Fernandes wrote:

    >> why not take the flatscreen monitor, and put that on a scanner!
    >>
    >> oh, it's all becoming so clear to me now!
    >>

    > ARE YOU SERIUS! LOL That's how blonds print e-mails!!!!!
    > lolol

    i could not stop laughing...no really im serious. but i do have to
    ask for your hall pass because freshman are not allowed out of study
    hall this period.

  9. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    IRIX Central wrote:
    > Ricardo Fernandes wrote:
    >
    >>>why not take the flatscreen monitor, and put that on a scanner!
    >>>
    >>>oh, it's all becoming so clear to me now!
    >>>

    >>ARE YOU SERIUS! LOL That's how blonds print e-mails!!!!!
    >>lolol

    > i could not stop laughing...no really im serious. but i do have to
    > ask for your hall pass because freshman are not allowed out of study
    > hall this period.

    OK now... I need more help: I jammed my scanner's door trying to close
    it with the 21" monitor on the flatbed... Would sitting the Octane on
    top of it help?

    Seriously, anybody recalls seeing these pictures on the web?

  10. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    Did you try emailing SGI? Maybe they can help out. Otherwise, maybe try
    to dig up an IOPROM update for the Octane and see if you can extract it
    out of there somehow?

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, UNIX Museum wrote:

    > IRIX Central wrote:

    > >>ARE YOU SERIUS! LOL That's how blonds print e-mails!!!!!
    > >>lolol

    > > i could not stop laughing...no really im serious. but i do have to
    > > ask for your hall pass because freshman are not allowed out of study
    > > hall this period.
    > >

    > OK now... I need more help: I jammed my scanner's door trying to close
    > it with the 21" monitor on the flatbed... Would sitting the Octane on
    > top of it help?
    >
    > Seriously, anybody recalls seeing these pictures on the web?

  11. m$oft and swen can GTH

    helaargghh,

    just recieved a spam (incl. virus) from a swenized windows box and it
    contained half of the comp.sys.sgi groups email addresses, including mine.

    i propose we all send microsoft a bill for the petabytes of internet
    bandwidth and weeks of work time spent dealing with this swen crap.

    r15k

  12. Re: How to use the boot-time background as wallaper?

    John Farnsworth wrote:
    > Did you try emailing SGI? Maybe they can help out.

    Have you ever tried "emailing SGI" ? I'm sure
    they will "help out" a lone user out there looking to make a
    kewl Winbloze background from the 4DWM login screen, or whatever
    it was he wanted.

    Should the o.p. address that to bbishop@sgi.com?

    --
    gd.