xfsdump/xfsrestore via ssh? - SGI

This is a discussion on xfsdump/xfsrestore via ssh? - SGI ; Hi. I have a number of machines that do backups to a LTO drive on a master machine. The master machine loads a tape, then tells each of the other machines in turn to do its backup. The remote machines ...

  1. xfsdump/xfsrestore via ssh?

    Hi.

    I have a number of machines that do backups to a LTO drive on a master
    machine. The master machine loads a tape, then tells each of the other
    machines in turn to do its backup. The remote machines do an xfsdump
    to the tape on the master machine.

    Right now, this requires that the master machine have a .rhosts allowing
    the remote machines automatic access because xfsdump uses the rmt protocol.
    And because I do interactive restores from the remote tape, this is all
    being done as root.

    I'd like to get away from all use of r* commands if I can. I got some
    inspiration from the "Linux Security Cookbook" to run rmt over an ssh
    tunnel, but their examples use programs where you can specify the port
    to connect to, something not possible with xfsdump.

    The research I've done so far turns up two situations: either the dump
    command understands a RSH environment variable that can direct it to
    use ssh, or a dump is piped through standard output through ssh to a
    dd or somesuch on the remote machine. I don't see that the first works
    with xfsdump, and the second doesn't allow for an interactive xfsrestore.

    What I'd like to do is have rmt run over ssh, but so far am hitting a
    brick wall in terms of implementation. I'm thinking of something like
    whacking inetd.conf to run sshd instead of rshd, but I don't know how
    well that would fly.

    Any suggestions on how I can set this up?

    Thanks,
    ~Steve

  2. Re: xfsdump/xfsrestore via ssh?

    allen@doobie.itdl.ds.boeing.com (Steve Allen) writes:
    > Any suggestions on how I can set this up?

    That might be really quick&dirty, but could probably just patch
    the binary substituting ssh for rsh with a hex editor (after copying
    xfsdump to xfsdump.backup of course).

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  3. Re: xfsdump/xfsrestore via ssh?

    Thomas Jahns writes:
    > That might be really quick&dirty, but could probably just patch

    s/but could/but you could/

+ Reply to Thread