How to get Out Box working? - SGI

This is a discussion on How to get Out Box working? - SGI ; I have an INDY (hostname IRIS)running IRIX 6.5.22 with Apache 1.3.27 server installed at /var/sgi_apache. When I open the IRIS Out Box from the INDY I can open my personal Web page and see files I've put in the public ...

  1. How to get Out Box working?

    I have an INDY (hostname IRIS)running IRIX 6.5.22 with Apache 1.3.27
    server installed at /var/sgi_apache.

    When I open the IRIS Out Box from the INDY I can open my personal Web
    page and see files I've put in the public folder etc.

    When I open the IRIS server Web page from my networked Octane or PC I
    see the Out Box page with my user Web page listed as well as the DEMO
    Web page etc. However, when I click on the link for my personal Web
    page I cannot get into the individual Web pages with the PUBLIC and
    MISC folders.

    This seems like a permissions problem. Can anyone tell me how to make
    this work?

  2. Re: How to get Out Box working?

    Mark Sawicki wrote:
    > I have an INDY (hostname IRIS)

    How original.

    > running IRIX 6.5.22 with Apache 1.3.27
    > server installed at /var/sgi_apache.
    >
    > When I open the IRIS Out Box from the INDY I can open my personal Web
    > page and see files I've put in the public folder etc.
    >
    > When I open the IRIS server Web page from my networked Octane or PC I
    > see the Out Box page with my user Web page listed as well as the DEMO
    > Web page etc. However, when I click on the link for my personal Web
    > page I cannot get into the individual Web pages with the PUBLIC and
    > MISC folders.

    in your httpd.conf file (not sure where that is with sgi_apache),
    make sure the following lines are not commented out:

    UserDir public_html

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

  3. Re: How to get Out Box working?

    On 1/8/2004 11:53 PM, Greg Douglas wrote:

    > Mark Sawicki wrote:
    >
    >> I have an INDY (hostname IRIS)

    > How original.
    >
    >> running IRIX 6.5.22 with Apache 1.3.27
    >> server installed at /var/sgi_apache.
    >>
    >> When I open the IRIS Out Box from the INDY I can open my personal Web
    >> page and see files I've put in the public folder etc.
    >>
    >> When I open the IRIS server Web page from my networked Octane or PC I
    >> see the Out Box page with my user Web page listed as well as the DEMO
    >> Web page etc. However, when I click on the link for my personal Web
    >> page I cannot get into the individual Web pages with the PUBLIC and
    >> MISC folders.

    > in your httpd.conf file (not sure where that is with sgi_apache),
    > make sure the following lines are not commented out:
    >

    > UserDir public_html
    >

    > --
    > Greg Douglas
    > http://www.reputable.com

    The httpd.conf file should be in /var/sgi_apache/server/etc.

    Make sure the server is turned on using chkconfig. Also, make sure that
    in your home directory you have a public_html directory. If you're using
    the default install, your public_html file will need o+rx permissions,
    since the server runs as the user 'nobody'.

    There is also some information in the sgi_apache release notes and in
    the man pages located at /var/sgi_apache/server/man.

  4. Re: How to get Out Box working?

    Michael Rice wrote in message news:...
    > On 1/8/2004 11:53 PM, Greg Douglas wrote:
    > >

    > > Mark Sawicki wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have an INDY (hostname IRIS)

    > > How original.
    > >
    > >> running IRIX 6.5.22 with Apache 1.3.27
    > >> server installed at /var/sgi_apache.
    > >>
    > >> When I open the IRIS Out Box from the INDY I can open my personal Web
    > >> page and see files I've put in the public folder etc.
    > >>
    > >> When I open the IRIS server Web page from my networked Octane or PC I
    > >> see the Out Box page with my user Web page listed as well as the DEMO
    > >> Web page etc. However, when I click on the link for my personal Web
    > >> page I cannot get into the individual Web pages with the PUBLIC and
    > >> MISC folders.

    > > in your httpd.conf file (not sure where that is with sgi_apache),
    > > make sure the following lines are not commented out:
    > >

    > > UserDir public_html
    > >

    > > --
    > > Greg Douglas
    > > http://www.reputable.com
    > >

    > The httpd.conf file should be in /var/sgi_apache/server/etc.
    >
    > Make sure the server is turned on using chkconfig. Also, make sure that
    > in your home directory you have a public_html directory. If you're using
    > the default install, your public_html file will need o+rx permissions,
    > since the server runs as the user 'nobody'.
    >
    > There is also some information in the sgi_apache release notes and in
    > the man pages located at /var/sgi_apache/server/man.

    So far, none of these has allowed access. Any other ideas?

  5. Re: How to get Out Box working?

    Mark Sawicki wrote:

    > Michael Rice wrote in message news:...

    > > > How original.

    > > > in your httpd.conf file (not sure where that is with sgi_apache),
    > > > make sure the following lines are not commented out:
    > > >

    > > > UserDir public_html
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Greg Douglas
    > > > http://www.reputable.com
    > > >

    > > The httpd.conf file should be in /var/sgi_apache/server/etc.
    > >
    > > Make sure the server is turned on using chkconfig. Also, make sure that
    > > in your home directory you have a public_html directory. If you're using
    > > the default install, your public_html file will need o+rx permissions,
    > > since the server runs as the user 'nobody'.
    > >
    > > There is also some information in the sgi_apache release notes and in
    > > the man pages located at /var/sgi_apache/server/man.

    > So far, none of these has allowed access. Any other ideas?

    For me at least, the outbox pages are served by the server in
    /var/sgi_apache/httpd-outbox/ rather than the one in
    /var/sgi_apache/server/

    Is there anything useful noted in the log files in
    /var/sgi_apache/httpd-outbox/var/log?

    There is sometimes some confusion because of the cgi-bin/wrap/ that gets
    thrown around your username.

    Assuming your hostname is iris on the some.where domain, and your user
    name is mark, the following should return your outbox page:

    http://iris.some.where/~mark/ which you say is fine.

    If you go in via the home page:

    http://iris.some.where/ the link to your page will be
    http://iris.some.where/~mark/ and the Public directory off that will be
    http://iris.some.where/cgi-bin/wrap/mark/Public/

    Alternatively, you could ask for:
    http://iris.some.where/~mark/Public/

    I have found in the past that the URL above works fine, but the one with
    the cgi-bin/wrap does not. Never bothered to understand why not, as I
    very seldom have anyone grab anything from my web pages, and when I do I
    always give them a specific URL to follow.

    Hope that is of some use.

    Tristram
    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  6. Re: How to get Out Box working?

    Tristram Scott wrote in message news:<40025F0D.6CBE4CB9@ntlworld.com>...
    > Mark Sawicki wrote:
    > >
    > > Michael Rice wrote in message news:...

    > > > The httpd.conf file should be in /var/sgi_apache/server/etc.
    > > >
    > > > Make sure the server is turned on using chkconfig. Also, make sure that
    > > > in your home directory you have a public_html directory. If you're using
    > > > the default install, your public_html file will need o+rx permissions,
    > > > since the server runs as the user 'nobody'.
    > > >
    > > > There is also some information in the sgi_apache release notes and in
    > > > the man pages located at /var/sgi_apache/server/man.

    > > So far, none of these has allowed access. Any other ideas?

    > For me at least, the outbox pages are served by the server in
    > /var/sgi_apache/httpd-outbox/ rather than the one in
    > /var/sgi_apache/server/
    >
    > Is there anything useful noted in the log files in
    > /var/sgi_apache/httpd-outbox/var/log?
    >
    > There is sometimes some confusion because of the cgi-bin/wrap/ that gets
    > thrown around your username.
    >
    > Assuming your hostname is iris on the some.where domain, and your user
    > name is mark, the following should return your outbox page:
    >
    > http://iris.some.where/~mark/ which you say is fine.
    >
    > If you go in via the home page:
    >
    > http://iris.some.where/ the link to your page will be
    > http://iris.some.where/~mark/ and the Public directory off that will be
    > http://iris.some.where/cgi-bin/wrap/mark/Public/
    >
    > Alternatively, you could ask for:
    > http://iris.some.where/~mark/Public/
    >
    > I have found in the past that the URL above works fine, but the one with
    > the cgi-bin/wrap does not. Never bothered to understand why not, as I
    > very seldom have anyone grab anything from my web pages, and when I do I
    > always give them a specific URL to follow.
    >
    > Hope that is of some use.
    >
    > Tristram

    Yes, this direct method worked so my PC can see
    http://iris.some.where/~mark/Public/. I do not understand why the
    links to the page are dead. In addition, I still cannot open Site
    Manager for my user "mark"

+ Reply to Thread