Onyx and Octane XFS Drives - SGI

This is a discussion on Onyx and Octane XFS Drives - SGI ; Can an ONYX IRIX 6.2 formatted XFS scsi drive be read and written by an octane IRIX 6.5? I can use a single ended drive on both, so High Volatge Differential to LVD is not a problem. Any insight would ...

  1. Onyx and Octane XFS Drives

    Can an ONYX IRIX 6.2 formatted XFS scsi drive be read and written by
    an octane IRIX 6.5? I can use a single ended drive on both, so High
    Volatge Differential to LVD is not a problem.

    Any insight would be appreciated !

    Roger Berk

  2. Re: Onyx and Octane XFS Drives

    r berk wrote:
    > Can an ONYX IRIX 6.2 formatted XFS scsi drive be read and written by
    > an octane IRIX 6.5?

    I believe that xfs is xfs, as far as drive partitioning is
    concerned, so it shouldn't be a prob. I also believe someone
    might correct me if I'm wrong.

    --

    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

  3. Re: Onyx and Octane XFS Drives

    Dans article <3FFCEE41.3090901@reputable.com>, gdouglas@reputable.com
    disait...

    > I believe that xfs is xfs, as far as drive partitioning is
    > concerned, so it shouldn't be a prob. I also believe someone
    > might correct me if I'm wrong.

    I think there can be some problems the other way (6.5 xfs on 6.2 xfs) but
    not in this case.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  4. Re: Onyx and Octane XFS Drives

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Dans article <3FFCEE41.3090901@reputable.com>, gdouglas@reputable.com
    > disait...
    > >
    > > I believe that xfs is xfs, as far as drive partitioning is
    > > concerned, so it shouldn't be a prob. I also believe someone
    > > might correct me if I'm wrong.
    > >

    > I think there can be some problems the other way (6.5 xfs on 6.2 xfs) but
    > not in this case.
    >
    > --
    > Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

    Emmanuel is correct but not specific. that is there are two formats of
    xfs format 1 & 2. format 2 was introduced in irix 6.5.6. if the two systems
    are later versions, then it should not be a problem. from chapter 6 of the
    disks
    and filesystems online manual.

+ Reply to Thread