How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require? - SGI

This is a discussion on How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require? - SGI ; Can I install 5.3c on Indy with 64MB Ram, or do I need 5.3a?...

  1. How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require?

    Can I install 5.3c on Indy with 64MB Ram, or do I need 5.3a?

  2. Re: How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require?

    In article ,
    Marijan wrote:
    :Can I install 5.3c on Indy with 64MB Ram, or do I need 5.3a?

    IRIX 5.3 was never put out in letter'd releases. There
    was no 5.3a, 5.3b, 5.3c, etc.

    IRIX installation doesn't much care how much memory you have,
    only whether you have the right IPxx, right CPU, right speed,
    and right cache size. If you have the right hardware, you could
    install IRIX 5.3 on a 16 Mb system. I've done it on a 12 Mb
    R3000 Indigo. In theory it could be done on an 8 Mb system,
    but that'd be pushing it. If you don't have enough physical
    memory, you're goi
    ng to swap
    too 'ing much.
    --
    Oh, to be a Blobel!

  3. Re: How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require?

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    > and right cache size. If you have the right hardware, you could
    > install IRIX 5.3 on a 16 Mb system. I've done it on a 12 Mb
    > R3000 Indigo. In theory it could be done on an 8 Mb system,

    I wasn't aware R3000 Indigo could have a 12MB configuration. That
    would be 4 2MB SIMMs and 4 1MB SIMMs, right? Are you sure 1 MB SIMMs
    were supported (or at least working) in the R3000 Indigo.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  4. Re: How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require?

    In article <87brpfda3g.fsf@ID-48333.user.dfncis.de>,
    Thomas Jahns wrote:
    :roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    :> and right cache size. If you have the right hardware, you could
    :> install IRIX 5.3 on a 16 Mb system. I've done it on a 12 Mb
    :> R3000 Indigo. In theory it could be done on an 8 Mb system,

    :I wasn't aware R3000 Indigo could have a 12MB configuration. That
    :would be 4 2MB SIMMs and 4 1MB SIMMs, right? Are you sure 1 MB SIMMs
    :were supported (or at least working) in the R3000 Indigo.

    I'm not sure, no. That would have been a decade ago, and
    I could be misremembering. I seem to remember that I booted once
    with 8 Mb just to see if I could do it. I do remember
    running with less than the recommended minimum; perhaps I
    was running with 16 Mb when 24 was the recommended.
    --
    Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow.
    That's my point.

  5. Re: How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require?

    Thomas Jahns wrote:
    > roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    >
    >>and right cache size. If you have the right hardware, you could
    >>install IRIX 5.3 on a 16 Mb system. I've done it on a 12 Mb
    >>R3000 Indigo. In theory it could be done on an 8 Mb system,

    > I wasn't aware R3000 Indigo could have a 12MB configuration. That
    > would be 4 2MB SIMMs and 4 1MB SIMMs, right? Are you sure 1 MB SIMMs
    > were supported (or at least working) in the R3000 Indigo.

    I know they were supported and working in the Personal Iris 4d/xx.
    iirc, I think they were supported in R3K Indigo. (I know they used
    different types of simms, but that's beside the point).

    Now we have more L2 cache than those 4 1M simms provided. But,
    such is progress....

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  6. Re: How much RAM does IRIX 5.3c require?

    Marijan wrote:
    > Can I install 5.3c on Indy with 64MB Ram, or do I need 5.3a?

    You need at least 512mb ram and a minimum os revision of 5.3q

    happy hunting!

+ Reply to Thread