Origin 2000 "out of logical swap space" problem - SGI

This is a discussion on Origin 2000 "out of logical swap space" problem - SGI ; Hi all. The last couple of days (starting on Jan 1st) our 16 CPU Origin 2000 running IRIX 6.5.21m has been giving us messages such as: Jan 3 07:40:01 1A:dover unix: ALERT: cron [730] - out of logical swap space ...

  1. Origin 2000 "out of logical swap space" problem

    Hi all.

    The last couple of days (starting on Jan 1st) our 16 CPU Origin 2000
    running IRIX 6.5.21m has been giving us messages such as:

    Jan 3 07:40:01 1A:dover unix: ALERT: cron [730] - out of logical swap
    space during fork while allocating uarea - see swap(1M) last msg Jan 3 07:49:02>

    Usually I know what these messages mean, we get them often enough when
    large codes are running, and with some tinkering, I've been able to
    reduce their frequency over time. However, these messages seem to be a
    symptom of a new problem, one of which I can't seem to isolate. The
    last couple of days these messages seem to appear after the machine has
    been running but a few hours, and the strange bit is that nothing other
    than system stuff seems to be running at the time - no large user codes
    to trigger this state, and users don't even seem to be logged on at the
    time. Moreover, when this is happening, the machine is competely
    useless. Even a ps command results in a "bash: fork: Resource
    temporarily unavailable" message and the only way to regain control of
    the machine is through a power cycle. I tried killing a few processes
    to see if that would unjam something, but to no avail. Other times when
    I've encountered the "out of logical swap space" messages, the machine
    usually manages to untangle itself eventually, things can be fixed in a
    graceful manner, and the problem is obvious - some large code tried to
    use too many resources. Not this time though, and my only guess is that
    some system process has gone a bit nuts, and taken up all of the virtual
    swap space, or that a hardware problem is somehow manifesting itself in
    this way.

    Anybody run into this before, or otherwise have any suggestions?

    I should add that this has happened about three or four times in the
    last few days, and each time it has been a different process which has
    triggered the first "out of logical swap space" message.

    Thanks for your attention.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    --
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Mike Casey

    email: mcasey@phys.ocean.dal.ca
    workhone: (902)494-2976
    FAX: (902)494-2885
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

  2. Re: Origin 2000 "out of logical swap space" problem

    In article <3FF9741A.C401E730@phys.ocean.dal.ca>,
    Mike Casey wrote:
[...]

    Check the objectserver process. gmemusage can help for this
    kind of work.
    --
    History is a pile of debris -- Laurie Anderson

  3. Re: Origin 2000 "out of logical swap space" problem

    Mike Casey wrote:
    >Hi all.

    >The last couple of days (starting on Jan 1st) our 16 CPU Origin 2000
    >running IRIX 6.5.21m has been giving us messages such as:

    >Jan 3 07:40:01 1A:dover unix: ALERT: cron [730] - out of logical swap
    >space during fork while allocating uarea - see swap(1M) >last msg Jan 3 07:49:02>

    [ ... ]
    > Even a ps command results in a "bash: fork: Resource
    >temporarily unavailable" message and the only way to regain control of
    >the machine is through a power cycle. [ ... ]

    Set up a cron job to run a ps every five minutes and append the output
    to a file; next time it locks up, check the file to see what was growing.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

+ Reply to Thread