Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB) - SGI

This is a discussion on Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB) - SGI ; The system is a 16 CPU Origin2000 Rack. I got the following FRU Analysis/Availsummary message. Currently it's running without the Node Board in Slot N1. It crashes again after 20 hours or so. It's happened a few times over the ...

  1. Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB)

    The system is a 16 CPU Origin2000 Rack. I got the following FRU
    Analysis/Availsummary message. Currently it's running without the Node
    Board in Slot N1. It crashes again after 20 hours or so. It's
    happened a few times over the last few days... after some 20 hours or
    so. I've received that Write error message pointing to another node
    after I removed the one in slot n1. It seems to move around so it's
    probably not a CPU problem.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

    JL

    -------------------

    PANIC STRING: PANIC: /hw/module/1/slot/n1/node/cpubus/0/b: Write
    error. PhysAddr 0x12010080

    Dumpheader version 7, processor type IP27, running in M-mode
    <6>++FRU ANALYSIS BEGIN
    <6>++
    <6>++
    <6>++ FRU Analysis Summary
    <6>++
    <6>++ [board serial number CRW553]
    <6>++ /hw/module/1/<6>slot/n1/node<6>
    <6>++ Failed with the incident (T5 WB) error signature,
    ++ please contact your service representaive. : 85%
    <6>++
    <6>++FRU ANALYSIS END

  2. Re: Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB)

    In article <2b858943.0401021234.26ab970c@posting.google.com>,
    Jim Lee wrote:
    :The system is a 16 CPU Origin2000 Rack. I got the following FRU
    :Analysis/Availsummary message. Currently it's running without the Node
    :Board in Slot N1. It crashes again after 20 hours or so.

    : <6>++ Failed with the incident (T5 WB) error signature,
    : ++ please contact your service representaive. : 85%

    I had that! The indications from the crash dump were a hardware
    problem, but it was fixed with a software patch. The problem
    was triggered especially by Networker backing up CXFS. The patch was ...
    ummmm... patchSG0005109
    --
    "Mathematics? I speak it like a native." -- Spike Milligan

  3. Re: Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB)

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <2b858943.0401021234.26ab970c@posting.google.com>,
    > Jim Lee wrote:
    > :The system is a 16 CPU Origin2000 Rack. I got the following FRU
    > :Analysis/Availsummary message. Currently it's running without the Node
    > :Board in Slot N1. It crashes again after 20 hours or so.
    >
    > : <6>++ Failed with the incident (T5 WB) error signature,
    > : ++ please contact your service representaive. : 85%
    >

    > I had that! The indications from the crash dump were a hardware
    > problem, but it was fixed with a software patch. The problem
    > was triggered especially by Networker backing up CXFS. The patch was ...
    > ummmm... patchSG0005109

    Hi Walter,

    Our system is running Irix 6.5.13. The patch says that it's for Irix
    6.5.14 to 6.5.18.

    Would there be any problems installing a patch on a lower version of
    Irix if it's written for a higher version of Irix?

    Thanks in advance.

    Jim

  4. Re: Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB)

    In article <2b858943.0401040630.5fea2ee2@posting.google.com>,
    Jim Lee wrote:
    |roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:...
    |> In article <2b858943.0401021234.26ab970c@posting.google.com>,
    |> Jim Lee wrote:
    |> :The system is a 16 CPU Origin2000 Rack. I got the following FRU

    |> : <6>++ Failed with the incident (T5 WB) error signature,

    |> was triggered especially by Networker backing up CXFS. The patch was ...
    |> ummmm... patchSG0005109

    |Our system is running Irix 6.5.13. The patch says that it's for Irix
    |6.5.14 to 6.5.18.

    |Would there be any problems installing a patch on a lower version of
    |Irix if it's written for a higher version of Irix?

    You probably will not be able to get the patch to install without
    forcing it, and the effect would be pretty unpredictable.

    The range of versions given there suggests that they simply back-dated
    according to the standard support policy of only going back 1 year.
    However, in my patch collection I find older patches patchSG0004619
    and patchSG0004848 that address the issue; 4619 in particular
    only addresses it for 6.5.14 and 6.5.15, suggesting that perhaps
    the problem did not exist before that.

    If you were to go through the SGI Knowledge Base, you would find
    that the recommendation would be to replace the logic carrier. The KB
    doesn't know about the patches (I sent them a note.)

    You will not be able to find any information on patchSG0004619
    or patchSG0004848: you can't download them, and they aren't on
    the list of replaced patches either.
    --
    Feep if you love VT-52's.

  5. Re: Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB)

    Hmm.. okay. We're running Irix 6.5.13 on our system, which is the
    latest version we have the CDs for. I'll try to see if I can track
    down some updated CD versions. In the mean time, I'll start building
    another system disk with a fresh install just in case before I do
    anything further. We've disabled Networker for the time being and the
    system did not crash for a full day now. (**crossing fingers**) As for
    the recommendation about replacing the logic carrier, I would imagine
    that they're probably referring to an Origin200.

    Thanks a lot for your help!

    James

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:
    > You probably will not be able to get the patch to install without
    > forcing it, and the effect would be pretty unpredictable.
    >
    > The range of versions given there suggests that they simply back-dated
    > according to the standard support policy of only going back 1 year.
    > However, in my patch collection I find older patches patchSG0004619
    > and patchSG0004848 that address the issue; 4619 in particular
    > only addresses it for 6.5.14 and 6.5.15, suggesting that perhaps
    > the problem did not exist before that.
    >
    > If you were to go through the SGI Knowledge Base, you would find
    > that the recommendation would be to replace the logic carrier. The KB
    > doesn't know about the patches (I sent them a note.)
    >
    > You will not be able to find any information on patchSG0004619
    > or patchSG0004848: you can't download them, and they aren't on
    > the list of replaced patches either.

  6. Re: Crash Message on Origin2000 (T5 WB)

    In article <2b858943.0401051045.37eb17d@posting.google.com>,
    Jim Lee wrote:
    :Hmm.. okay. We're running Irix 6.5.13 on our system, which is the
    :latest version we have the CDs for. I'll try to see if I can track
    :down some updated CD versions.

    You can download newer versions from support.sgi.com, up to about
    6.5.19m if you do not have a maint contract.

    --
    'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
    -- Journal of Self-Referentialism

+ Reply to Thread