Printing from O2 to network printer - SGI

This is a discussion on Printing from O2 to network printer - SGI ; I have an O2 (6.5.11) and a Red Hat 9 Linux computer networked together. They are plugged into a hub along with a networked Xerox Postscript printer (DocuPrint 4517). I can print from the Linux box (192.168.1.1) to the printer ...

  1. Printing from O2 to network printer

    I have an O2 (6.5.11) and a Red Hat 9 Linux computer networked together.
    They are plugged into a hub along with a networked Xerox Postscript
    printer (DocuPrint 4517). I can print from the Linux box (192.168.1.1)
    to the printer (192.168.1.5) but not from the O2 (192.168.1.3). I can
    ping the printer from the O2. I can access the files from the Linux box
    to the O2 using ftp. I can telnet from the O2 to the printer. But I
    can't get the O2 to print. I created a printer using the Print Manager.
    I've tried both local network and remote network (I think it should be
    local). The output stays in the queue and the message is that the
    connection is not available but it will keep trying.

    I've tried to do the trouble shooting in the documentation but if I try
    to use "lpr" there is no "lpr" or related commands. Any suggestions
    would be appreciated.

    Rick B.

  2. Re: Printing from O2 to network printer

    rab wrote:

    > I have an O2 (6.5.11) and a Red Hat 9 Linux computer networked together.
    > They are plugged into a hub along with a networked Xerox Postscript
    > printer (DocuPrint 4517). I can print from the Linux box (192.168.1.1)
    > to the printer (192.168.1.5) but not from the O2 (192.168.1.3). I can
    > ping the printer from the O2. I can access the files from the Linux box
    > to the O2 using ftp. I can telnet from the O2 to the printer. But I
    > can't get the O2 to print. I created a printer using the Print Manager.
    > I've tried both local network and remote network (I think it should be
    > local). The output stays in the queue and the message is that the
    > connection is not available but it will keep trying.
    >
    > I've tried to do the trouble shooting in the documentation but if I try
    > to use "lpr" there is no "lpr" or related commands. Any suggestions
    > would be appreciated.

    lpr is from print.man.bsdlpr and print.sw.bsdlpr

    you can also use cups from fw_cups which is what I use from my O2 to
    print to an HP DeskJet attached to a Linux system.
    Jeff Hanson - jhanson@sgi.com - Field Technical Analyst

    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill. - Lee/Lifeson/Peart

+ Reply to Thread