diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server? - SGI

This is a discussion on diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server? - SGI ; Hi groups, has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over ...

  1. diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    Hi groups,

    has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    that helps.

    Thanks in advance and merry xmas.

    P.

  2. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    In article <3fe9a3a7$1@news.inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr wrote:

    >has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server.

    I've done that...works fine. Just follow the spirit of the instructions
    in the IRIX "Diskless Workstation" guide or whatever it's called.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  3. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    David Evans wrote:

    > In article <3fe9a3a7$1@news.inet.com.pl>,
    > silverdr wrote:
    >
    >>has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >>setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server.

    > I've done that...works fine. Just follow the spirit of the instructions
    > in the IRIX "Diskless Workstation" guide or whatever it's called.

    Thanks for the info. I remember the guide you mentioned was saying
    something like "As a server you need an IRIX machine running the same or
    higher IRIX version as the client" or something like that. Thus, before
    I spend a couple of days trying, I wanted to know if anyone succeeded
    with non-IRIX servers.

    Thanks again.

  4. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    silverdr wrote:

    Hi all,

    > has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    > setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    > would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    > as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    > that helps.

    to generalize the question even more:

    is it possible at all, to run a SGI (e.g a INDY)

    a) diskless and
    b) headless ?

    kind regards,
    karen.

  5. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    In comp.sys.sgi.misc guest@freeterm11.ic-d.ca wrote:
    > silverdr wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    >> has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >> setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    >> would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    >> as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    >> that helps.

    > to generalize the question even more:
    >
    > is it possible at all, to run a SGI (e.g a INDY)
    >
    > a) diskless and
    > b) headless ?

    absolutely. i have a pile of indy parts here. they are all "running"
    diskless and headless. some would argue they are more productive than
    your average linux box.

    but back to your question... can i ask, why you would want to?

  6. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    IRIX Central wrote:

    > but back to your question... can i ask, why you would want to?

    I picked up a half dozen of dumped indies for free. Most of them are quite
    old and 'low spec' (R4k, 100MHz), but I think they are still sufficient for
    some easy tasks, like web- & fileserving on a dsl line. I just don't want to
    increase the noiselevel with each machine I add. Decoding music, running
    netscape and compiling someting in the background is a little bit too much
    to do at once, even for a R5k Indy

    Beside this, a (diskless) R5k seems to do quite well as living room music &
    i-net radio player with XMMS, due to it's digital output.

    ciao, karen.

  7. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    silverdr wrote:
    > David Evans wrote:
    >
    >> In article <3fe9a3a7$1@news.inet.com.pl>,
    >> silverdr wrote:
    >>
    >>> has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >>> setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server.

    >> I've done that...works fine. Just follow the spirit of the
    >> instructions
    >> in the IRIX "Diskless Workstation" guide or whatever it's called.
    >>

    > Thanks for the info. I remember the guide you mentioned was saying
    > something like "As a server you need an IRIX machine running the same or
    > higher IRIX version as the client" or something like that. Thus, before
    > I spend a couple of days trying, I wanted to know if anyone succeeded
    > with non-IRIX servers.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Hello,

    I started 2 Indigo2 R4400 (200 MHz & 250 MHz)succefully under NetBSD
    1.6 from a FreeBSD 5.1 as the NFS server. One important problem comes
    from the keyboard if you start with standard console, some keystrokes
    stop the OS and you instantly return to prom prompt. To avoid this you
    must do it from a serial console. This problem is known and under
    development for NetBSD.
    Take a look at this http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
    and follow the indications.
    For Linux, you must choose Debian distrib, I haven't tried it again.
    Good luck and feel free to mail more questions.

    Denis S.

  8. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    silverdr wrote:
    > Hi groups,
    >
    > has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    > setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    > would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    > as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    > that helps.
    >
    > Thanks in advance and merry xmas.
    >
    > P.

    try to find this documentation
    Diskless_Worstation_Admin_Guide-(007-0855-060).pdf with a kind of
    edonkey. I get it at home.

  9. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    Denis S. wrote:

    >>> I've done that...works fine. Just follow the spirit of the
    >>> instructions
    >>> in the IRIX "Diskless Workstation" guide or whatever it's called.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the info. I remember the guide you mentioned was saying
    >> something like "As a server you need an IRIX machine running the same
    >> or higher IRIX version as the client" or something like that. Thus,
    >> before I spend a couple of days trying, I wanted to know if anyone
    >> succeeded with non-IRIX servers.
    >>

    > I started 2 Indigo2 R4400 (200 MHz & 250 MHz)succefully under NetBSD
    > 1.6 from a FreeBSD 5.1 as the NFS server. One important problem comes
    > from the keyboard if you start with standard console, some keystrokes
    > stop the OS and you instantly return to prom prompt. To avoid this you
    > must do it from a serial console. This problem is known and under
    > development for NetBSD.
    > Take a look at this http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
    > and follow the indications.
    > For Linux, you must choose Debian distrib, I haven't tried it again.
    > Good luck and feel free to mail more questions.

    Thank you for that but the question was actually about booting IRIX. Not
    about booting SGI machines per se. Once I get a day or two to spend on
    this, I will tell the results an possibly ask other question, tough. ;-)

  10. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    Denis S. wrote:

    >> has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >> setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    >> would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    >> as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    >> that helps.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance and merry xmas.
    >>
    >> P.

    > try to find this documentation
    > Diskless_Worstation_Admin_Guide-(007-0855-060).pdf with a kind of
    > edonkey. I get it at home.

    I got it (AFAIR with the web browser from SGI) and that was the place,
    where I found a sentence saying:

    A diskless server must be running an IRIX release that is the same as or
    later than the IRIX release used by any of its clients.

    hence I asked the question if there were any real quirks behind it.

    BR.

  11. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    In article <3ffd640d$1@news.inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr wrote:
    [ ... ]
    >Thank you for that but the question was actually about booting IRIX. Not
    >about booting SGI machines per se. Once I get a day or two to spend on
    >this, I will tell the results an possibly ask other question, tough. ;-)

    If you're going to boot IRIX, you're going to boot SGI machines--that's
    all it runs on.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

+ Reply to Thread