IRIX ld options - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX ld options - SGI ; I am trying to build something on IRIX that has a makefile intended for Solaris. Everything is fine until linking. Originally ld complained about a -R option that it didn't understand. I tried simply removing it and it didn't help. ...

  1. IRIX ld options

    I am trying to build something on IRIX that has a makefile intended for
    Solaris. Everything is fine until linking. Originally ld complained
    about a -R option that it didn't understand. I tried simply removing it
    and it didn't help. Either way I get a bunch of unresolved text symbol
    errors, for a lot of things, including printf! Here is the Solaris
    manpage excerpt that talks about the -R option

    -R path
    A colon-separated list of directories used to specify
    library search directories to the runtime linker. If
    present and not NULL, it is recorded in the output
    object file and passed to the runtime linker. Multiple
    instances of this option are concatenated together
    with each path separated by a colon.

    Does anyone know how to do the equivalent linker instructions on IRIX?
    I am hoping fixing this will fix the link errors, but if you see any
    other problems, please let me know.

    Here are some of my errors:

    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "openlog" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "vsyslog" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "closelog" -- 1st referenced
    by dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "strcmp" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "free" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "strlen" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "malloc" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "strcpy" -- 1st referenced by
    dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  2. Re: IRIX ld options

    In article <3FE74D1B.8F966281@spamfree.hotmail.com>,
    wrote:
    :I am trying to build something on IRIX that has a makefile intended for
    :Solaris.

    :Here is the Solaris
    :manpage excerpt that talks about the -R option

    : -R path
    : A colon-separated list of directories used to specify
    : library search directories to the runtime linker. If

    oes anyone know how to do the equivalent linker instructions on IRIX?

    -rpath
    --
    Perposterous!! Where would all the calculators go?!

  3. Re: IRIX ld options

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > --
    > Perposterous!! Where would all the calculators go?!

    but,but,but! i don't get it! please elaborate!

  4. Re: IRIX ld options

    http://www.reddwarf.nildram.co.uk/txt/thelastd.txt
    --
    "The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
    -- Dr. Adam Drewnowski

  5. Re: IRIX ld options

    In article <3FE74D1B.8F966281@spamfree.hotmail.com>, ijkdc@spamfree.hotmail.com
    wrote:

    : Here are some of my errors:
    :
    :
[...]

    You are either missing a library on the link line, or you are linking your
    objects in the wrong order.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  6. Re: IRIX ld options

    In article ,
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    >In article <3FE74D1B.8F966281@spamfree.hotmail.com>, ijkdc@spamfree.hotmail.com
    >wrote:
    >
    >: Here are some of my errors:
    >:
    >:
    >: ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "openlog" -- 1st referenced by
    >: dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    >: Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    >: dsos are loaded.
    >: ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "vsyslog" -- 1st referenced by
    >: dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    >: Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    >: dsos are loaded.

    >: ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "strcpy" -- 1st referenced by
    >: dynamic/pam_krb5.o.
    >: Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    >: dsos are loaded.
    >
    >You are either missing a library on the link line, or you are linking your
    >objects in the wrong order.

    Exactly. The UNIX linker is sensitive to the order of linking.

    The posting I see here does not quote your command line, so
    I cannot comment on that, but another point is that it's adviseable
    to use the cc, CC, f77, or f90 command to do the linking (use
    the right one depending on what languages are in use), as that
    is the most machine-independent linking approach. Using ld
    directly is not adviseable.

    Some environments (even some UNIX environments) are not so sensitive
    to the order of things on the link line.
    But the IRIX linker is sensitive. When shared libraries (DSOs)
    were introduced, we had to choose whether to make
    archives like DSOS, visible througout independent on order
    DSOs like archives, dependent on order.

    We chose the second option. Some other system suppliers
    chose the first option.

    Nothing in any public documentation from the SYSVR4 folks
    (way back then) gave a clue which way was preferred.

    Put your personal
    .c .o .a files before any system libraries on the link line,
    and put .c before .o and .o before .a files.

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea

+ Reply to Thread