problem with an O2 - SGI

This is a discussion on problem with an O2 - SGI ; hi, I would like to know how can I make an install for an O2 with an external CDROM (which is recognized as a SCSIdisk, which doesn't allow me to use the Install System graphically in the PROM) here's the ...

  1. problem with an O2

    hi,

    I would like to know how can I make an install for an O2 with an external
    CDROM (which is recognized as a SCSIdisk, which doesn't allow me to use the
    Install System graphically in the PROM)

    here's the problem

    I want to reinstall my 6.5.20 O2
    I take the Irix 6.5.20 Installation and Overlay CD 1 in my external CD-ROM
    from the PROM I do :

    boot -f dksc(1,4,8)sashARCS dksc(1,4,7)stand/fx.ARCS

    its ok, I partition my hard drive successfully

    then, what must I do to boot Miniroot and Inst manually (i.e. from the
    command line sash)

    (i repeat i CAN'T install graphically because my external cd-rom is not
    viewed in "Install System..." because hinv tells me that's an SCSI drive,
    but it works well since I load sash and FX from it)

    Just I need are the lines allowing me to launch a new installation from the
    command line
    Nobody talks about it in the documentation because they assume the internal
    CD-ROM is working, which is not my case...

    Really thanks for you help

    Sincerely :-)

    Jack

  2. Re: problem with an O2

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:31:57 +0100, "jack" wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >I would like to know how can I make an install for an O2 with an external
    >CDROM (which is recognized as a SCSIdisk, which doesn't allow me to use the
    >Install System graphically in the PROM)

    It'd help if you told us about this mysterious external CD

    i.e. why is it being wrongly recognised as a SCSI disk ?

    O2 installs usually work fine from external CDROMs (which are reported by hinv
    as CDROMs).

  3. Re: problem with an O2

    yeah it's true

    but in my case (and SGI speaks about that in their documentation) on some
    older stations (O2 R5000) external cd-rom can appear like SCSI Disk, (and in
    this case my cdrom is not allowed in the Install System
    Software

    so I tried to suppress internal cdrom (unplug it)
    but it doesn't allow my cd to be viewed as a CD-ROM

    anyway it works great because i launched sash and fx from it ))

    just need this ù*%^$ command that is nowhere documented to launch install
    from a "disk"

    (some says that i have to copy miniroot in the swap zone)
    that I do and It works well
    but after that I don't know how to launch the installation

    (with obscure command like
    dksc(1,4,8)my_wonderful_install_start)

    and thats for that I need help, since it's not documented :-(

    Thanks for your answer

    Sincerely

    Jack

    "Neil Rothwell" a écrit dans le message news:
    qg83uvs34q3db0rjjg55c02eli4hjdijpd@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:31:57 +0100, "jack" wrote:
    >
    > >hi,
    > >
    > >I would like to know how can I make an install for an O2 with an external
    > >CDROM (which is recognized as a SCSIdisk, which doesn't allow me to use

    the
    > >Install System graphically in the PROM)

    > It'd help if you told us about this mysterious external CD
    >
    > i.e. why is it being wrongly recognised as a SCSI disk ?
    >
    > O2 installs usually work fine from external CDROMs (which are reported by

    hinv
    > as CDROMs).

  4. Re: problem with an O2

    After you copy the miniroot image to the swap partition,
    you then boot the appropriate unix. In your case, it would
    be unix.IP32. It is usually found in /miniroot/unix.IP32.

    Note: the miniroot image is *not* /sa. You have to extract
    the miniroot image from sa with the mkboottape command. (You
    can't do this in the PROM monitor):

    mkboottape -x -l /sa

    The "mr" file is the miniroot image.

    Joe

    In article , jack wrote:
    > yeah it's true
    >
    > but in my case (and SGI speaks about that in their documentation) on some
    > older stations (O2 R5000) external cd-rom can appear like SCSI Disk, (and in
    > this case my cdrom is not allowed in the Install System
    > Software
    >
    > so I tried to suppress internal cdrom (unplug it)
    > but it doesn't allow my cd to be viewed as a CD-ROM
    >
    > anyway it works great because i launched sash and fx from it ))
    >
    > just need this ù*%^$ command that is nowhere documented to launch install
    > from a "disk"
    >
    > (some says that i have to copy miniroot in the swap zone)
    > that I do and It works well
    > but after that I don't know how to launch the installation
    >
    > (with obscure command like
    > dksc(1,4,8)my_wonderful_install_start)
    >
    > and thats for that I need help, since it's not documented :-(
    >
    > Thanks for your answer
    >
    > Sincerely
    >
    > Jack
    >

    > "Neil Rothwell" a écrit dans le message news:
    > qg83uvs34q3db0rjjg55c02eli4hjdijpd@4ax.com...
    > > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:31:57 +0100, "jack" wrote:
    > >
    > > >hi,
    > > >
    > > >I would like to know how can I make an install for an O2 with an external
    > > >CDROM (which is recognized as a SCSIdisk, which doesn't allow me to use

    > the
    > > >Install System graphically in the PROM)

    > > It'd help if you told us about this mysterious external CD
    > >
    > > i.e. why is it being wrongly recognised as a SCSI disk ?
    > >
    > > O2 installs usually work fine from external CDROMs (which are reported by

    > hinv
    > > as CDROMs).

    Joseph Michaud - SGI Apps Eng 978-562-8894 x483-8894 jmichaud@sgi.com

+ Reply to Thread