Help - my userenv settings disappeared !? - SGI

This is a discussion on Help - my userenv settings disappeared !? - SGI ; Hi, some days ago I found that my desktop (4DWm on IRIX v6.2) stopped working properly. I tried to find out what happend and noticed, the environment settings were gone. The file ~/.desktop-Indy/.userenv had been deleted and a size of ...

  1. Help - my userenv settings disappeared !?

    Hi,

    some days ago I found that my desktop (4DWm on IRIX v6.2) stopped working properly. I tried to find out what happend and noticed, the environment settings were gone. The file

    ~/.desktop-Indy/.userenv

    had been deleted and a size of zero. Some program must have zeroed it, but I have no clue which. So I dumped a new environment setting into it with

    set > ~/desktop-Indy/.userenv

    To my surprise I needed to find out that this file *again* has been zeroed by some task. The syslog shows an entry like

    userenv: timed out. Environment not propagated.

    Some nasty program does not want me to keep me environment settings !?

    Could someone please tell me how this can be fixed ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Karen

  2. Re: Help - my userenv settings disappeared !?

    In article <20031217181053.0a8a45e7.futuregroove@bigfoot.com>,
    wrote:
    :some days ago I found that my desktop (4DWm on IRIX v6.2) stopped working properly. I tried to find out what happend and noticed, the environment settings were gone. The file

    : ~/.desktop-Indy/.userenv

    :had been deleted and a size of zero. Some program must have zeroed it, but I have no clue which. So I dumped a new environment setting into it with

    : set > ~/desktop-Indy/.userenv

    :To my surprise I needed to find out that this file *again* has been zeroed by some task. The syslog shows an entry like

    : userenv: timed out. Environment not propagated.

    Look in your .cshrc and .login and kin. userenv is run at login
    time, and it starts up a shell (thus having .cshrc etc run)
    and reads out the environment variables afterwards. But, when it
    starts up the shell, there is no input environment. If your .cshrc
    etc. has been altered to include something that prompts for input at
    login time (e.g., an unprotected tset) then it's just going to sit
    there until the userenv program times out.

    Anything in /etc/cshrc or .cshrc (or as appropriate depending
    on your shell) that does input or output should be protected
    by testing the ENVONLY environment variable.
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!

+ Reply to Thread