Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system? - SGI

This is a discussion on Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system? - SGI ; I'm trying to replace our old Phobos 3Com card with a new one I brought. But the Indigo system says this card is not unknown. I guess the hardware address is different? If the cards are identical except for the ...

  1. Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    I'm trying to replace our old Phobos 3Com card with a new one I brought.
    But the Indigo system says this card is not unknown. I guess the hardware
    address is different? If the cards are identical except for the hardware
    address, how can I switch them? Do I need to reinstall the software?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    In article , Oro wrote:

    : I'm trying to replace our old Phobos 3Com card with a new one I brought.
    : But the Indigo system says this card is not unknown. I guess the hardware
    : address is different? If the cards are identical except for the hardware
    : address, how can I switch them? Do I need to reinstall the software?
    : Thanks.

    http://ubb.ca/software/fehack/

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote in

    > In article , Oro
    > wrote:
    >
    >: I'm trying to replace our old Phobos 3Com card with a new one I
    >: brought. But the Indigo system says this card is not unknown. I guess
    >: the hardware address is different? If the cards are identical except
    >: for the hardware address, how can I switch them? Do I need to
    >: reinstall the software? Thanks.
    >
    > http://ubb.ca/software/fehack/
    >

    > Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    Thanks for the help Tony. When I run your program, it gives me a "Uh oh,
    something bad happened. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS DRIVER!" I looked
    through your code and found that the code couldn't find the values it was
    searching for. Why is that? My card is a 3Com card, but when I boot, it
    says Phobos. The Indigo 1 still doesn't recognize the card. Any further
    help would be greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    In article , Oro wrote:

    : Thanks for the help Tony. When I run your program, it gives me a "Uh oh,
    : something bad happened. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS DRIVER!" I looked
    : through your code and found that the code couldn't find the values it was
    : searching for. Why is that? My card is a 3Com card, but when I boot, it
    : says Phobos. The Indigo 1 still doesn't recognize the card. Any further
    : help would be greatly appreciated.

    Indigo 1? Where did you find an EISA slot in an Indigo 1?

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  5. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    > In article , Oro
    > wrote:
    >
    >: Thanks for the help Tony. When I run your program, it gives me a "Uh
    >: oh, something bad happened. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS DRIVER!" I
    >: looked through your code and found that the code couldn't find the
    >: values it was searching for. Why is that? My card is a 3Com card, but
    >: when I boot, it says Phobos. The Indigo 1 still doesn't recognize the
    >: card. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Indigo 1? Where did you find an EISA slot in an Indigo 1?
    >

    > Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    Sorry. It is an Indigo 2. The '2' is very small on the front panel of the
    machine. But do you know what the problem could be with the ethernet card
    being unknown and your program giving me that answer. Thanks.

  6. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    In article , Oro wrote:
    [ ... ]
    >Sorry. It is an Indigo 2. The '2' is very small on the front panel of the
    >machine. But do you know what the problem could be with the ethernet card
    >being unknown and your program giving me that answer. Thanks.

    Precisely what model and revision 3Com card have you installed?

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  7. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in

    > In article , Oro
    > wrote:
    > [ ... ]
    >>Sorry. It is an Indigo 2. The '2' is very small on the front panel of
    >>the machine. But do you know what the problem could be with the
    >>ethernet card being unknown and your program giving me that answer.
    >>Thanks.

    > Precisely what model and revision 3Com card have you installed?
    >

    > Gary

    Hi. It's an Indigo 2 running Irix 6.2. The ethernet card is a 3Com Fast
    Etherlink EISA 3C597-TX 003 Rev. C. It may be a Phobos card, but I am not
    sure because the card does not come with any box, software, or
    documentation. Our old card was a Phobos card. How do I get the OS to
    recognize the new card? The card is functioning, but SGI keeps saying it's
    unknown.

  8. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    In article , Oro wrote:
    >gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in

    [ ... ]

    >> Precisely what model and revision 3Com card have you installed?

    >Hi. It's an Indigo 2 running Irix 6.2. The ethernet card is a 3Com Fast
    >Etherlink EISA 3C597-TX 003 Rev. C. It may be a Phobos card, but I am not
    >sure because the card does not come with any box, software, or
    >documentation. Our old card was a Phobos card. How do I get the OS to
    >recognize the new card? The card is functioning, but SGI keeps saying it's
    >unknown.

    The Phobos cards are/were rebadged 3Com cards, but I believe they had
    a minor alteration in the firmware (or some way that the cards can
    be differentiated from 3Coms' regular product). I have a 3Com running
    in an Indigo2 under IRIX 6.5, but it required the addition of a patch
    to the Phobos driver. I don't know if that patch has ever been tested
    with 6.2, though.

    I can't find a link to the patch right now; I'll search around and see
    if I can figure out where it came from and post the link.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  9. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    wrote:
    > >gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in

    > [ ... ]

    > >> Precisely what model and revision 3Com card have you installed?

    > >Hi. It's an Indigo 2 running Irix 6.2. The ethernet card is a 3Com Fast
    > >Etherlink EISA 3C597-TX 003 Rev. C. It may be a Phobos card, but I am

    not
    > >sure because the card does not come with any box, software, or
    > >documentation. Our old card was a Phobos card. How do I get the OS to
    > >recognize the new card? The card is functioning, but SGI keeps saying

    it's
    > >unknown.

    > The Phobos cards are/were rebadged 3Com cards, but I believe they had
    > a minor alteration in the firmware (or some way that the cards can
    > be differentiated from 3Coms' regular product). I have a 3Com running
    > in an Indigo2 under IRIX 6.5, but it required the addition of a patch
    > to the Phobos driver. I don't know if that patch has ever been tested
    > with 6.2, though.

    > I can't find a link to the patch right now; I'll search around and see
    > if I can figure out where it came from and post the link.

    probably from here:

    http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/fastether.html

    Rainer

    > Gary

    > --
    > Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    > "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    > it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  10. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    In article ,
    gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:

    : I don't know if that patch has ever been tested
    : with 6.2, though.

    I don't run 6.2, I probably never will run 6.2, and my Indigo2's powersupply is
    dead for a second time.

    So no, don't expect 6.2 to be supported. (nor 5.3, for that matter)

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  11. Re: Replacing ehternet card on Indigo system?

    Oro wrote:

    > I'm trying to replace our old Phobos 3Com card with a new one I brought.
    > But the Indigo system says this card is not unknown. I guess the hardware
    > address is different? If the cards are identical except for the hardware
    > address, how can I switch them? Do I need to reinstall the software?
    > Thanks.

    On Indigo2 Ethernet cards are either Phobos (GIO) or 3COM (EISA).
    There´s no such thing as a Phobos 3COM card - different vendors.
    3COM cards are said to work with patched Phobos drivers AFAIK.

    Phobos drivers for Indigo and Indigo2 cards are still available,
    but - of course - without the 3COM patch.

    Walther

+ Reply to Thread