re netscape woes - SGI

This is a discussion on re netscape woes - SGI ; hi i have an octane connect to net with ppp but netscape cannot find hosts and if i type a url in ww.yahoo it say cannot find host ?? any ideas cheers is driving me mad and love my sgi ...

  1. re netscape woes

    hi i have an octane connect to net with ppp but netscape cannot find hosts
    and if i type a url in ww.yahoo it say cannot find host ?? any ideas

    cheers is driving me mad and love my sgi hate you one of
    bill`s wintel heaps !!!!!!!!!!

  2. Re: re netscape woes

    In article ,
    eric simmons wrote:
    :hi i have an octane connect to net with ppp but netscape cannot find hosts
    :and if i type a url in ww.yahoo it say cannot find host ?? any ideas

    Check your /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure you
    have a correct default route.
    --
    Is "meme" descriptive or perscriptive? Does the knowledge that
    memes exist not subtly encourage the creation of more memes?

  3. Re: re netscape woes

    Eric
    It is most likely one of the files below need to be edited.
    Note that there may be more files to edit for PPP.

    Basic SGI/IRIX Networking Setup
    Host information in /etc/hosts

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx somemachine.xyz.com somemachine
    127.0.0.1 localhost

    (Where you're replacing xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with *your* ip address, and
    somemachine.xyz.com is the fully-qualified name of
    your machine, and somemachine is your machine name with the xyz.com domain)
    /etc/config/ifconfig-1.options

    netmask 0xffffff00

    (equivalent to 255.255.255.0)
    /etc/config/static-route.options

    $ROUTE $QUIET add net default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    (replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the appropriate default gateway)

    You might want to restart your network after making changes to test the
    setup.

    /etc/init.d/network stop
    /etc/init.d/network start
    And the standard stuff...

    /etc/resolv.conf

    search xyz.com
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    (replace with the appropriate IP's for your nameservers)

    Have fun.

    Bruce

    "eric simmons" wrote in message
    > hi i have an octane connect to net with ppp but netscape cannot find hosts
    > and if i type a url in ww.yahoo it say cannot find host ?? any ideas
    >

    > cheers is driving me mad and love my sgi hate you one

    of
    > bill`s wintel heaps !!!!!!!!!!

  4. Re: re netscape woes

    eric simmons wrote:
    > hi i have an octane connect to net with ppp but netscape cannot find hosts
    > and if i type a url in ww.yahoo it say cannot find host ?? any ideas

    yeah, learn how to setup proper dns. google for christs sake.

    > cheers is driving me mad and love my sgi hate you one of
    > bill`s wintel heaps !!!!!!!!!!

    english as a second language should be your second stop.

    cheers.

+ Reply to Thread