Re: Octane - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Octane - SGI ; The following header lines retained to effect attribution: >Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:13:26 +0200 >From: Atro Tossavainen >Subject: Re: Octane >To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL >"Randolph J. Herber" writes: >> At the beginning of this thread Marlok indicated a willingness >> to ...

  1. Re: Octane

    The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
    >Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:13:26 +0200
    >From: Atro Tossavainen
    >Subject: Re: Octane
    >To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL

    >"Randolph J. Herber" writes:

    >> At the beginning of this thread Marlok indicated a willingness
    >> to move hard disks between systems to address his problem. If
    >> that remains the case, then he could just move the Octane system
    >> disk in the Indy R5000 as a data disk,

    >"Just" being restricted by the fact that the Octane system disk has a
    >SCA connector and the internal SCSI connectors in the Indy are large
    >50-pin ones. They will need an adapter or an external SCSI box with
    >SCA connectors for the disks which could be connected to the Indy's
    >external SCSI connector with a suitable cable.

    >Atro Tossavainen (Mr.) / The Institute of Biotechnology at
    >Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
    >+358-9-19158939 UNIX Dinosaur / employs me, but my opinions are my own.

    To me, that is a ``just'' operation. We have had thousands of SGI computers
    over the year and therefore have many types of cables, terminators and
    adaptors. But, I do remember that Marlok had mentioned difficulties
    availing SCSI cable; therefore, I easily imagine that he also has
    difficulties availing terminators and adaptors.

    Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
    Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
    USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
    trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)

  2. Re: Octane

    "Randolph J. Herber" writes:

    > To me, that is a ``just'' operation. We have had thousands of SGI computers
    > over the year and therefore have many types of cables, terminators and
    > adaptors. But, I do remember that Marlok had mentioned difficulties
    > availing SCSI cable; therefore, I easily imagine that he also has
    > difficulties availing terminators and adaptors.

    To me as well. I thought it deserved to be mentioned anyway so that they
    can be prepared for the eventual discovery of "what? the cables don't match".