Re: Octane - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Octane - SGI ; The following header lines retained to effect attribution: >Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:43:00 +0000 >From: Gary Heston >Subject: Re: Octane >To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL >In article , >Marlok wrote: >>"Gary Heston" ha scritto nel messaggio >>news:vt6tj0ob87qd1e@corp.supernews.com... >>> In article , >>> ...

  1. Re: Octane

    The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
    >Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:43:00 +0000
    >From: Gary Heston
    >Subject: Re: Octane
    >To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL

    >In article ,
    >Marlok wrote:

    >>"Gary Heston" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>this

    >>> No, but you should be able to netboot from the Indy CD drive and bring up
    >>> the install shell that way.

    > [ ... ]
    >>Thanks
    >>But I have this problem
    >>I have an Indy R5000 that have CD driver but I have install only 3 cd of
    >>Irix 6.5, and I have not application CD
    >>I am new in Unix command.
    >>I have an octane without CD drive and I can login only in Guest user, I have
    >>not permission to configure any network setting.
    >>I have try to use the Indy CD but the SCSI port are different
    >>In Italy is very hard find hardware, cable for SGI
    >>Is an Big problem for me

    >I was not clear, sorry.

    >To netboot a system is to communicate with another system that has
    >a bootable image (as from IRIX CDs or CD images on hard drives), load
    >the image over the network connection, and then execute it.

    >This is commonly done with SGI systems as a way of installing IRIX on
    >systems with blank hard drives, while without needing CD drives on
    >each system. This is particularly useful in larger data centers with
    >many systems.

    >However, it's perfectly suitable for situations like yours; you can
    >connect your two systems with a crossover cable, or two regular cables
    >and a hub or switch (old 10Mb Ethernet hardware is fine for this),
    >share the CD from the Indy, and when you boot the Octane, select
    >System Maintenance and start the Command Line Monitor. From there,
    >you can enter a command to cause the Octane to access the CD drive on
    >the Indy and copy the operating system to the Octane, then bring it up.

    >>From there, you can mount the hard drive and clear the root password.

    At the beginning of this thread Marlok indicated a willingness
    to move hard disks between systems to address his problem. If
    that remains the case, then he could just move the Octane system
    disk in the Indy R5000 as a data disk, use an editor to remove
    the root password from either the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow
    file as appropriate, remove the Octane system from the Indy
    and replace the Octane system into the Octane.

    Soory, my Italian is almost non-existent.

    Ciao

    >There is a lot of information about the basics of working with SGI
    >hardware and IRIX available on the web; one in particular is:

    > http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/sgi.html

    >which has a great deal of good information and lots of examples.

    >Gary

    >Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    >"Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    >it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

    Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
    Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
    USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
    trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)

  2. Re: Octane

    "Randolph J. Herber" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
    > >Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:43:00 +0000
    > >From: Gary Heston
    > >Subject: Re: Octane
    > >To: info-iris-admin@ARL.ARMY.MIL

    > >In article ,
    > >Marlok wrote:

    > >>"Gary Heston" ha scritto nel messaggio

    in
    > >>this

    up

    > > [ ... ]
    > >>Thanks
    > >>But I have this problem
    > >>I have an Indy R5000 that have CD driver but I have install only 3 cd of
    > >>Irix 6.5, and I have not application CD
    > >>I am new in Unix command.
    > >>I have an octane without CD drive and I can login only in Guest user, I

    have
    > >>not permission to configure any network setting.
    > >>I have try to use the Indy CD but the SCSI port are different
    > >>In Italy is very hard find hardware, cable for SGI
    > >>Is an Big problem for me

    > >I was not clear, sorry.

    > >To netboot a system is to communicate with another system that has
    > >a bootable image (as from IRIX CDs or CD images on hard drives), load
    > >the image over the network connection, and then execute it.

    > >This is commonly done with SGI systems as a way of installing IRIX on
    > >systems with blank hard drives, while without needing CD drives on
    > >each system. This is particularly useful in larger data centers with
    > >many systems.

    > >However, it's perfectly suitable for situations like yours; you can
    > >connect your two systems with a crossover cable, or two regular cables
    > >and a hub or switch (old 10Mb Ethernet hardware is fine for this),
    > >share the CD from the Indy, and when you boot the Octane, select
    > >System Maintenance and start the Command Line Monitor. From there,
    > >you can enter a command to cause the Octane to access the CD drive on
    > >the Indy and copy the operating system to the Octane, then bring it up.

    > >>From there, you can mount the hard drive and clear the root password.

    > At the beginning of this thread Marlok indicated a willingness
    > to move hard disks between systems to address his problem. If
    > that remains the case, then he could just move the Octane system
    > disk in the Indy R5000 as a data disk, use an editor to remove
    > the root password from either the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow
    > file as appropriate, remove the Octane system from the Indy
    > and replace the Octane system into the Octane.
    >
    > Soory, my Italian is almost non-existent.
    >
    > Ciao

    Thanks for this information

    Marlok

    > >There is a lot of information about the basics of working with SGI
    > >hardware and IRIX available on the web; one in particular is:

    > > http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/sgi.html

    > >which has a great deal of good information and lots of examples.

    > >Gary

    > >Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    > >"Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    > >it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

    > Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
    > Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL

    60510-0500,
    > USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)

    (Product,
    > trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)

  3. Re: Octane

    "Randolph J. Herber" writes:

    > At the beginning of this thread Marlok indicated a willingness
    > to move hard disks between systems to address his problem. If
    > that remains the case, then he could just move the Octane system
    > disk in the Indy R5000 as a data disk,

    "Just" being restricted by the fact that the Octane system disk has a
    SCA connector and the internal SCSI connectors in the Indy are large
    50-pin ones. They will need an adapter or an external SCSI box with
    SCA connectors for the disks which could be connected to the Indy's
    external SCSI connector with a suitable cable.

  4. Re: Octane

    In article ,
    Randolph J. Herber wrote:
    [ ... ]
    > At the beginning of this thread Marlok indicated a willingness
    > to move hard disks between systems to address his problem. If
    > that remains the case, then he could just move the Octane system
    > disk in the Indy R5000 as a data disk, use an editor to remove
    > the root password from either the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow
    > file as appropriate, remove the Octane system from the Indy
    > and replace the Octane system into the Octane.

    [ ... ]

    I was under the impression that the Indy used SCSI-II drives, while
    the Octane used SCA drives. That would make moving the drive around
    a bit difficult.

    Unfortunantly, the stack of Indys I was promised has not yet been
    delivered, so I'm not absolutly sure about this.

    Setting up for netbooting has the side benefit of getting the systems
    networked, which is always useful.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  5. Re: Octane

    Dans article , gheston@hiwaay.net
    disait...

    > I was under the impression that the Indy used SCSI-II drives, while
    > the Octane used SCA drives. That would make moving the drive around
    > a bit difficult.
    >
    > Unfortunantly, the stack of Indys I was promised has not yet been
    > delivered, so I'm not absolutly sure about this.

    You're perfectly right. However you can use SCA drives in Indys using
    adapters (I do).

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

+ Reply to Thread