Installing dual 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540 - SGI

This is a discussion on Installing dual 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540 - SGI ; Hey, a buddy of mine is trying to get dual 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 Xeon PowerLeap processors to work in his SGI 540... The system occasionally recognizes both CPUs and other times he gets an error message that the CPU count ...

  1. Installing dual 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540

    Hey, a buddy of mine is trying to get dual 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 Xeon PowerLeap
    processors to work in his SGI 540...

    The system occasionally recognizes both CPUs and other times he gets an error
    message that the CPU count has changed or gets the following error messages:

    1. Illegal CPU jumper setting
    2. Not all CPUs have the same L2 cahce
    3. Incompatible CPUs installed in system

    He thinks it is some type of power issue. He tried removing the VRMs to see
    what happens and basically the system does nothing other than power up.

    I wonder if the new PowerLeap P3 Xeons require different VRMs in a 540?

    I was also told that you can only run two PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540, so
    you can't do a quad configuration with them...

    Has any one tried installing 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540?

    Here's the link for this new product:

    http://plpadmin.tempdomainname.com/PLP3XEONS.html

  2. Re: Installing dual 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540

    "Matt Verona" wrote in message news:<3fd5db5c$1_2@127.0.0.1>...
    > Hey, a buddy of mine is trying to get dual 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 Xeon PowerLeap
    > processors to work in his SGI 540...
    >
    > The system occasionally recognizes both CPUs and other times he gets an error
    > message that the CPU count has changed or gets the following error messages:
    >
    > 1. Illegal CPU jumper setting
    > 2. Not all CPUs have the same L2 cahce
    > 3. Incompatible CPUs installed in system
    >
    > He thinks it is some type of power issue. He tried removing the VRMs to see
    > what happens and basically the system does nothing other than power up.
    >
    > I wonder if the new PowerLeap P3 Xeons require different VRMs in a 540?
    >
    > I was also told that you can only run two PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540, so
    > you can't do a quad configuration with them...
    >
    > Has any one tried installing 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540?
    >
    > Here's the link for this new product:
    >
    > http://plpadmin.tempdomainname.com/PLP3XEONS.html

    > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    Thats an interesting strategy to improve performance of the 540 VW. I
    would wonder which operating sytem you are using--NT4 or Win2K?
    Certainly for the multiprocessor approach you will need the correct
    multiprocessor versions of the software (eg. Win2K server). My 540 has
    a single processor so I do not have much experience, but I am
    interested to hear whteher this works.

  3. Re: Installing dual 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540

    On 9 Dec 2003 14:58:52 -0800, msawicki@ucla.edu (Mark Sawicki) wrote:

    >"Matt Verona" wrote in message news:<3fd5db5c$1_2@127.0.0.1>...
    >>
    >> Has any one tried installing 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540?
    >>
    >> Here's the link for this new product:
    >>
    >> http://plpadmin.tempdomainname.com/PLP3XEONS.html
    >>

    >Thats an interesting strategy to improve performance of the 540 VW. I
    >would wonder which operating sytem you are using--NT4 or Win2K?
    >Certainly for the multiprocessor approach you will need the correct
    >multiprocessor versions of the software (eg. Win2K server). My 540 has
    >a single processor so I do not have much experience, but I am
    >interested to hear whteher this works.

    Win2K Workstation supports 2 processors, no need for Server. Also Win2K
    Workstation supports 4 processors on a 540 if you upgrade (not clean install)
    from the origonal SGI NT4 Workstation 540 flavour.

  4. Re: Installing dual 1.4Ghz PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a 540

    Matt Verona wrote:

    > Hey, a buddy of mine is trying to get dual 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 Xeon
    > PowerLeap processors to work in his SGI 540...
    >
    > The system occasionally recognizes both CPUs and other times he gets
    > an error message that the CPU count has changed or gets the following
    > error messages:
    >
    > 1. Illegal CPU jumper setting
    > 2. Not all CPUs have the same L2 cahce
    > 3. Incompatible CPUs installed in system
    >
    > He thinks it is some type of power issue. He tried removing the VRMs
    > to see
    > what happens and basically the system does nothing other than power
    > up.
    >
    > I wonder if the new PowerLeap P3 Xeons require different VRMs in a
    > 540?

    No, since the Powerleap adapter has it's own VRM on-Board which makes it
    independent from the VRM used in the machine...

    > I was also told that you can only run two PowerLeap P3 Xeons in a
    > 540, so
    > you can't do a quad configuration with them...

    Yes, simply because the P3 1.4GHz CPUs are _not_ XEONs, they are plain
    PentiumIII-S CPUs and thus only support Dual processor configurations.

    The problem certainly is the PROM which expects a XEON CPU and not a
    PentiumIII CPU. And You only can do Dual configurations and even then the
    max. Cache size is 512k per CPU vs. the up to 2MB available for PII/PIII
    Xeons.

    And (very important!): the PentiumIII-S is a 133MHz CPU and the SGI 540 only
    does 100MHz FSB, so it only runs at ~1053MHz which is not that much of an
    improvement, especially since from what I know the Powerleap adapter is
    rather expensive as are the PentiumIII-S CPUs so in the end it makes more
    sense to either use the SGI 540 as it is or to get another system that is
    easier to upgrade...

    BTW: I think that's rather off-topic in the *.admin group but more an issue
    for the *.hardware group.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread