Exclude files from a full system backup? - SGI

This is a discussion on Exclude files from a full system backup? - SGI ; Hi. I have an 18GB root drive on an indy, and a 2GB DAT drive. I want to produce a backup of the OS and software which is about 1.9 GB, but not the user data under /home, which is ...

  1. Exclude files from a full system backup?

    Hi.
    I have an 18GB root drive on an indy, and a 2GB DAT drive. I want to
    produce a backup of the OS and software which is about 1.9 GB, but not
    the user data under /home, which is 13GB. I also want the tape to be
    able to restore the whole system from miniroot. According to the online
    books, the only way to make such a tape is to use the 'Full System
    Backup' but this has no way to exclude the /home directory. Is there
    any way to do what I want?

    Secondly, the DAT drive is a Python 25601-XXX2.63 installed in an R3K
    Indigo running IRIX 5.3. Does this device have hardware compression,
    and how would I access it?

    Steve.

  2. Re: Exclude files from a full system backup?

    gnu tar is your friend :-)
    it has an option --exclude-file file_listing_stuff_not_to_backup

    in the file_listing_stuff_not_to_backup

    /home

    the device will be /dev/tape

    if it does have hardware compression it will be pretty naff. I would have
    though it wouldn't have any. It's not worth using anyway. I don't normaly
    compress my backups as my files are compressed anyway (divx movies) and
    the OS takes up such little room (I back up to a DLT4000 tape drive I got
    off ebay for 200 pounds).

    You could do tar -czvf / --exclude /home /home/backup.tar.gz

    then dd it to tape

    dd if=/home/backup.tar.gz of=/dev/tape bs=2048k

    If I were you I wouldn't bother backing to it those 2Gb tapes..... Just
    burn the files to cd-r. I got through 5 dds tape drives through them
    chewing up tapes :-( My DLT doesn't give me any probs but for a few Gb's
    cd-r is great. Why not tar each dir into a different tar file?

    in bash
    touch /home/backup.log
    cd /
    for dirs in var dev sbin bin (you get the idea) #list dir's to backup here
    do
    /usr/freeware/bin/tar -czf /home/"$dirs".tar.gz #this tar's ya dir's then
    compresses them
    using gzip
    du -k /home/"$dirs".tar.gz >> /home/backup.log #logs backup size
    done

    just bung the files onto tape or what ever you like. The files should fit
    onto cd-r. You could even break /usr into bit's and do /usr/local and
    /usr/freeware seperatly.

    well I don't think you can exclude stuff using the IRIX gui thing but hay
    it's not that great.

    I'd look at cpio also.

    For my system I'm looking into xfsdump because people in this forum seem
    to love it and highly recomend it :-) xfsdump can do some interesting
    things.
    If you have your core disk then you can escape into a shell can untar your
    files back to the system drive.

    hope this is of some help

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Steven Sumpter wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have an 18GB root drive on an indy, and a 2GB DAT drive. I want to
    > produce a backup of the OS and software which is about 1.9 GB, but not
    > the user data under /home, which is 13GB. I also want the tape to be
    > able to restore the whole system from miniroot. According to the online
    > books, the only way to make such a tape is to use the 'Full System
    > Backup' but this has no way to exclude the /home directory. Is there
    > any way to do what I want?
    >
    > Secondly, the DAT drive is a Python 25601-XXX2.63 installed in an R3K
    > Indigo running IRIX 5.3. Does this device have hardware compression,
    > and how would I access it?
    >
    > Steve.

  3. Re: Exclude files from a full system backup?

    I want a tape that I can use to restore the system without first
    re-installing the OS. Installing the OS and freeware took a day, so it
    makes sense to have a back up of just that without the user data. The
    user data gets backed up to a CD-R on a linux machine.

    To quote from the IRIX® Admin: Backup, Security, and Accounting book:
    "If you are planning to use the System Maintenance menu Recovery option,
    use Backup or the backup facility of the graphical System Manager, as
    those are the only formats accepted by the System Maintenance menu."

    As I understand it, the Backup command or the "Full system backup"
    graphical tool saves a file that can restore the layout of the drive and
    make it bootable, and this is what I want to do. The problem is that
    I don't want to use eight tapes to do it!

    Steve.

  4. Re: Exclude files from a full system backup?

    "Steven Sumpter" wrote in message
    > I want a tape that I can use to restore the system without first
    > re-installing the OS. Installing the OS and freeware took a day, so it
    > makes sense to have a back up of just that without the user data. The
    > user data gets backed up to a CD-R on a linux machine.
    >
    > To quote from the IRIX® Admin: Backup, Security, and Accounting book:
    > "If you are planning to use the System Maintenance menu Recovery option,
    > use Backup or the backup facility of the graphical System Manager, as
    > those are the only formats accepted by the System Maintenance menu."
    >
    > As I understand it, the Backup command or the "Full system backup"
    > graphical tool saves a file that can restore the layout of the drive and
    > make it bootable, and this is what I want to do. The problem is that
    > I don't want to use eight tapes to do it!
    >
    > Steve.

    I don't know IRIX 5.3, but in 6.5 the system backup runs a shell script,
    /usr/sbin/Backup. This saves the files from the vol header, etc., so that
    you can do a full restore from the System Maintenance menu. I wanted to use
    the system backup, but didn't want my option drive backed up, so I just
    created an edited version of the /usr/sbin/Backup script with different
    flags to the "find" command (6.5 uses a find command piped to cpio to do the
    backups). Perhaps you can find a script that runs the system backup for
    5.3, and similarly edit it.

    --
    Ryan Curtis
    rcurtis@kistleraero.com

  5. Re: Exclude files from a full system backup?

    Ryan Curtis wrote:

    > I don't know IRIX 5.3, but in 6.5 the system backup runs a shell script,
    > /usr/sbin/Backup. This saves the files from the vol header, etc., so that
    > you can do a full restore from the System Maintenance menu. I wanted to use
    > the system backup, but didn't want my option drive backed up, so I just
    > created an edited version of the /usr/sbin/Backup script with different
    > flags to the "find" command (6.5 uses a find command piped to cpio to do the
    > backups). Perhaps you can find a script that runs the system backup for
    > 5.3, and similarly edit it.

    The computer I'm taking a backup of is running 6.5.22, it's the machine
    with the tape drive that has 5.3. I have just looked and the Backup
    command is indeed a shell script so I will have to have a look at it later.

    Thanks!

    Steve.

+ Reply to Thread