Octane - SGI

This is a discussion on Octane - SGI ; Hi I have lost my root password in an Octane and I have not an CD drive in this machine Is possible install Irix in an Indy r5000 and after move the HD to an Octane? Thanks Marlok sorry for ...

  1. Octane

    Hi
    I have lost my root password in an Octane and I have not an CD drive in this
    machine
    Is possible install Irix in an Indy r5000 and after move the HD to an
    Octane?

    Thanks
    Marlok
    sorry for my english but I am italian

  2. Re: Octane

    In article ,
    Marlok wrote:
    >Hi
    >I have lost my root password in an Octane and I have not an CD drive in this
    >machine
    >Is possible install Irix in an Indy r5000 and after move the HD to an
    >Octane?

    No, but you should be able to netboot from the Indy CD drive and bring up
    the install shell that way.

    >Thanks
    >Marlok
    >sorry for my english but I am italian

    No problem, your English is better than my Italian.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

  3. Re: Octane

    "Gary Heston" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > In article ,
    > Marlok wrote:
    > >Hi
    > >I have lost my root password in an Octane and I have not an CD drive in

    this
    > >machine
    > >Is possible install Irix in an Indy r5000 and after move the HD to an
    > >Octane?

    > No, but you should be able to netboot from the Indy CD drive and bring up
    > the install shell that way.
    >
    > >Thanks
    > >Marlok
    > >sorry for my english but I am italian

    > No problem, your English is better than my Italian.
    >

    > Gary
    >
    > --
    > Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net
    >
    > "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    > it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

    Thanks
    But I have this problem
    I have an Indy R5000 that have CD driver but I have install only 3 cd of
    Irix 6.5, and I have not application CD
    I am new in Unix command.
    I have an octane without CD drive and I can login only in Guest user, I have
    not permission to configure any network setting.
    I have try to use the Indy CD but the SCSI port are different
    In Italy is very hard find hardware, cable for SGI
    Is an Big problem for me

    Marlok

  4. Re: Octane

    says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

    > Thanks
    > But I have this problem
    > I have an Indy R5000 that have CD driver but I have install only 3 cd of
    > Irix 6.5, and I have not application CD

    Could you post which are the Cd's names?
    6.5 installation kit should be at least 4 cds: Installation tools,
    Foundation1, Foundation2 and Applications.

    > I am new in Unix command.
    > I have an octane without CD drive and I can login only in Guest user, I have
    > not permission to configure any network setting.

    AFAIK (but I could be wrong) you don't need any specific network
    settings on the Octane since you must begin istallation before loading
    the Os. I did it yesterday on my Octane with an Indigo2 as installation
    server and I didn't set anything on the Octane.

    > I have try to use the Indy CD but the SCSI port are different
    > In Italy is very hard find hardware, cable for SGI
    > Is an Big problem for me

    They are different ports because they are different SCSI.
    AFAIK you need an adapter that terminates some pins on the Octane plug
    for using the Indy's cdrom on the Octane.
    You can find it in a good electronic/computer shop (I'm sure of this
    because I'm italian too )

    --
    TeoX

  5. Re: Octane

    "Teo" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1g5m5t2.1hl8xus1p4uz18N%thematthew@inwind.it. ..
    > says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > But I have this problem
    > > I have an Indy R5000 that have CD driver but I have install only 3 cd of
    > > Irix 6.5, and I have not application CD

    > Could you post which are the Cd's names?
    > 6.5 installation kit should be at least 4 cds: Installation tools,
    > Foundation1, Foundation2 and Applications.
    >
    > > I am new in Unix command.
    > > I have an octane without CD drive and I can login only in Guest user, I

    have
    > > not permission to configure any network setting.

    > AFAIK (but I could be wrong) you don't need any specific network
    > settings on the Octane since you must begin istallation before loading
    > the Os. I did it yesterday on my Octane with an Indigo2 as installation
    > server and I didn't set anything on the Octane.
    >
    > > I have try to use the Indy CD but the SCSI port are different
    > > In Italy is very hard find hardware, cable for SGI
    > > Is an Big problem for me

    > They are different ports because they are different SCSI.
    > AFAIK you need an adapter that terminates some pins on the Octane plug
    > for using the Indy's cdrom on the Octane.
    > You can find it in a good electronic/computer shop (I'm sure of this
    > because I'm italian too )
    > --
    > TeoX
    > >
    > > Marlok

    Se cos ti scrivo in italiano, almeno mi faccio capire meglio.

    Dell'Irix ho solo i primi 3 CD, Installation tools e i due Foundation,
    percui devo fare tutto da una shell, io non ho mai configurato niente, ho
    solo installato il SO.

    L'ocatane l'ho comprato ieri usato, e non ho la password
    Ho provato anche io a far partire l'installazione in modo remoto, ma mi
    dice:
    Unable to execute xio(0)pci(15)multi(0)network(0)boottp()IRIS
    :CDROM/sa(sash64):
    Could not connect to server

    Se non riesce a connetersi probabilmente ci sar da configuare qualcosa e se
    c' la posso fare solo sull'indy ed io ci capisco poco.

    L'adattatore per lo SCSI l'ho cercato ieri e oggi ma non sono riuscito a
    trovarlo, e poi mi venuto anche un dubbio se trovo l'adattore non che
    c' da configurare anche il CD o lo riconosce automaticamente?

    Grazie

    Ciao
    Marco

  6. Re: Octane

    > Se cos ti scrivo in italiano, almeno mi faccio capire meglio.
    >
    > Dell'Irix ho solo i primi 3 CD, Installation tools e i due Foundation,
    > percui devo fare tutto da una shell, io non ho mai configurato niente, ho
    > solo installato il SO.

    Non so se bastino i 3 cd senza l'application CD per fare
    un'installazione base...

    > L'ocatane l'ho comprato ieri usato, e non ho la password Ho provato anche
    > io a far partire l'installazione in modo remoto, ma mi dice: Unable to
    > execute xio(0)pci(15)multi(0)network(0)boottp()IRIS :CDROM/sa(sash64):
    > Could not connect to server

    Devi configurare la Indy.

    > Se non riesce a connetersi probabilmente ci sar da configuare qualcosa e
    > se c' la posso fare solo sull'indy ed io ci capisco poco.

    Butto gi due note e te le mando. mandami in mail un indirizzo valido
    per scriverti.

    > L'adattatore per lo SCSI l'ho cercato ieri e oggi ma non sono riuscito a
    > trovarlo, e poi mi venuto anche un dubbio se trovo l'adattore non che
    > c' da configurare anche il CD o lo riconosce automaticamente?

    NO, SCSI lo identifica subito.

    > Grazie
    >
    > Ciao
    > Marco

    I replyed in Italian but since the official language for this NG is
    English, it would be a right thing to write in English
    Drop me a mail if you want to speak Italian

    Bye.

    --
    TeoX

  7. Re: Octane

    In article ,
    Marlok wrote:

    >"Gary Heston" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> In article ,
    >> Marlok wrote:
    >> >Hi
    >> >I have lost my root password in an Octane and I have not an CD drive in

    >this
    >> >machine
    >> >Is possible install Irix in an Indy r5000 and after move the HD to an
    >> >Octane?

    >> No, but you should be able to netboot from the Indy CD drive and bring up
    >> the install shell that way.

    [ ... ]
    >Thanks
    >But I have this problem
    >I have an Indy R5000 that have CD driver but I have install only 3 cd of
    >Irix 6.5, and I have not application CD
    >I am new in Unix command.
    >I have an octane without CD drive and I can login only in Guest user, I have
    >not permission to configure any network setting.
    >I have try to use the Indy CD but the SCSI port are different
    >In Italy is very hard find hardware, cable for SGI
    >Is an Big problem for me

    I was not clear, sorry.

    To netboot a system is to communicate with another system that has
    a bootable image (as from IRIX CDs or CD images on hard drives), load
    the image over the network connection, and then execute it.

    This is commonly done with SGI systems as a way of installing IRIX on
    systems with blank hard drives, while without needing CD drives on
    each system. This is particularly useful in larger data centers with
    many systems.

    However, it's perfectly suitable for situations like yours; you can
    connect your two systems with a crossover cable, or two regular cables
    and a hub or switch (old 10Mb Ethernet hardware is fine for this),
    share the CD from the Indy, and when you boot the Octane, select
    System Maintenance and start the Command Line Monitor. From there,
    you can enter a command to cause the Octane to access the CD drive on
    the Indy and copy the operating system to the Octane, then bring it up.

    From there, you can mount the hard drive and clear the root password.

    There is a lot of information about the basics of working with SGI
    hardware and IRIX available on the web; one in particular is:

    http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/sgi.html

    which has a great deal of good information and lots of examples.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but
    it says 'Chicken by the Sea'." Jessica Simpson, on MTV _Newlyweds_

+ Reply to Thread