Mounting NFS on a Linux Server - SGI

This is a discussion on Mounting NFS on a Linux Server - SGI ; Hi out there, I have to fix a problem. A SGI with IRIX 6.5.12 has to connect to a Linux (Debian) Server with Kernel 2.4.18. Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the employees there do not ...

  1. Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    Hi out there,

    I have to fix a problem.
    A SGI with IRIX 6.5.12 has to connect to a Linux (Debian) Server with
    Kernel 2.4.18.
    Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the
    employees there do not really know about commandlines and so they will
    be using the graphical interface.

    In there the /files on 10.0.0.20 won't be registered by the SGI :-(
    I don't know which part is missing / misconfigured...

    Any Hints?

    --
    Gruß
    Oliver

  2. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    check that you are allowing the ip address of the SGI to mount the nfs
    export from linux. Look in /etc/exports and see that the ip address of
    your irix system is in there or atleast some sort of security be it your
    subnet or domain is in /etc/exports

    Make sure nfs is running on the linux box. chkconfig --list | grep nfs

    check the firewall is not stopping you getting to your linux box. On the
    linux box run iptables -F or flush the ipchains rules.

    Are you using PAM? Is PAM misconfigured for the nfs pam module?

    It's not a prob with irix. Also the users on the irix box must have the
    same uid's and gid's as on the linux box. IE make sure the /etc/passwd
    files are the same.

    hope this works

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Oliver Musch wrote:

    > Hi out there,
    >
    > I have to fix a problem.
    > A SGI with IRIX 6.5.12 has to connect to a Linux (Debian) Server with
    > Kernel 2.4.18.
    > Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the
    > employees there do not really know about commandlines and so they will
    > be using the graphical interface.
    >
    > In there the /files on 10.0.0.20 won't be registered by the SGI :-(
    > I don't know which part is missing / misconfigured...
    >
    > Any Hints?
    >

    > --
    > Gruß
    > Oliver

  3. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    * Oliver Musch
    | Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the
    | employees there do not really know about commandlines and so they
    | will be using the graphical interface.
    |
    | In there the /files on 10.0.0.20 won't be registered by the SGI :-(

    You mean, the command line does work, where the GUI does not? Are
    they running the command line as root and the GUI as regular user?

    BTW, why don't you use the automounter or plain static mount?
    `/files' sounds like this mount point would be a frequently used
    one...

    R'

  4. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    Oliver Musch wrote:

    > Hi out there,
    >
    > I have to fix a problem.
    > A SGI with IRIX 6.5.12 has to connect to a Linux (Debian) Server with
    > Kernel 2.4.18.
    > Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the
    > employees there do not really know about commandlines and so they will
    > be using the graphical interface.
    >
    > In there the /files on 10.0.0.20 won't be registered by the SGI :-(
    > I don't know which part is missing / misconfigured...
    >
    > Any Hints?
    >
    > --
    > Gruß
    > Oliver

    You put an entry for each remote mount in /etc/fstab, didn´t you?
    I did it vice versa yesterday, now debian mounts IRIX filesystems
    at startup... great!

    Good luck!

    Walther

  5. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    Ralf Fassel wrote:
    > * Oliver Musch
    > | Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the
    > | employees there do not really know about commandlines and so they
    > | will be using the graphical interface.
    > |
    > | In there the /files on 10.0.0.20 won't be registered by the SGI :-(
    >
    > You mean, the command line does work, where the GUI does not? Are
    > they running the command line as root and the GUI as regular user?

    Thats the funny part, you may run the commandline as root or regluar
    user, there's no difference. Using the GUI as "user" it can't find the
    mountingpoint on the Linux server. (Not jet tried as root.)

    > BTW, why don't you use the automounter or plain static mount?
    > `/files' sounds like this mount point would be a frequently used
    > one...

    It would be more like a place to swap between some project data.
    AutoMount could be a way but is not tested jet.

    Thx for Hints.

    --
    Gruß
    Oliver

  6. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > check that you are allowing the ip address of the SGI to mount the nfs
    > export from linux. Look in /etc/exports and see that the ip address of
    > your irix system is in there or atleast some sort of security be it your
    > subnet or domain is in /etc/exports

    /etc/hosts.allow contains the hole network
    /etc/exports is ok, exportfs -a has been run.

    > Make sure nfs is running on the linux box. chkconfig --list | grep nfs

    nfsd and mountd are running on Linux (other Linux boxes can connect to
    the mountable drive).

    > check the firewall is not stopping you getting to your linux box. On the
    > linux box run iptables -F or flush the ipchains rules.

    No Firewall (it's local net).

    > Are you using PAM? Is PAM misconfigured for the nfs pam module?

    No PAM.

    > It's not a prob with irix. Also the users on the irix box must have the
    > same uid's and gid's as on the linux box. IE make sure the /etc/passwd
    > files are the same.

    I didn't knew that I have to use usernames with passwords from /passwd.
    man exports remains silent to username & passwords ...

    --
    Gruß
    Oliver

  7. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    ng> Ralf Fassel wrote:
    >> * Oliver Musch
    >> | Using "mount -t nfs 10.0.0.20:/files /files" will work fine but the
    >> | employees there do not really know about commandlines and so they
    >> | will be using the graphical interface.
    >> :-(

    >> You mean, the command line does work, where the GUI does not? Are

    >> they running the command line as root and the GUI as regular user?

    ng> Thats the funny part, you may run the commandline as root or regluar
    ng> user, there's no difference. Using the GUI as "user" it can't find the
    ng> mountingpoint on the Linux server. (Not jet tried as root.)

    Linux' mountd does not allow mount requests from un-privileged ports
    unless an entry is exported as 'insecure', try adding something like

    /files *(insecure)

    to /etc/exports, then

    # exportfs -a

    on the server.

    max

  8. Re: Mounting NFS on a Linux Server

    * Oliver Musch
    | Thats the funny part, you may run the commandline as root or regluar
    | user, there's no difference.

    I hardly can believe this. `mount' usually does not mount anything
    when run as ordinary user under IRIX. However, I'm not aware of any
    recent changes (read: > 6.5.15m) in mount to allow mounting as
    ordinary user.

    Of course, you will have to umount after trying as root, otherwise the
    drive is still mounted when trying as user, but this should be obvious.

    I'd definitely try the automounter or even static mount in /etc/fstab.

    R'

+ Reply to Thread