Formatting the drive(s) on the R10k Indigo2 (IRIX 6.5) - SGI

This is a discussion on Formatting the drive(s) on the R10k Indigo2 (IRIX 6.5) - SGI ; My hardware specs: I have R10k Indigo2/HighImpact+TRAM running IRIX 6.5. here... with 2 GB internal "system" (root) drive and 4 GB secondary internal drive (storage). Both are working SCSI drives - including working external CD drive. I do have the ...

  1. Formatting the drive(s) on the R10k Indigo2 (IRIX 6.5)

    My hardware specs:

    I have R10k Indigo2/HighImpact+TRAM running IRIX 6.5. here...
    with 2 GB internal "system" (root) drive and 4 GB secondary internal drive
    (storage). Both are working SCSI drives - including working external CD drive.

    I do have the IRIX Install-CD's - including the Foundations and 6.5.12 Overlay,
    I think. Yes, I am able to login in Root and also in Prom Cmd monitor.

    First step:

    How do I "erase" my hard drive in the Indigo2's second hard drive?

    Remember, it is a non-system scsi disk - a 4G storage space. Also, after
    erasing (formatting) this drive, what do I do next to make it "xfs" format so
    that way it is ready to "mount" again in my indigo2? This secondary disk
    should be listed as 'xfs' as seen in the 'df' command everytime I log into my
    Desktop.

    Is there a good link on how to do that? (...unless it is an easy part)

    Now another part of the step - which I am still uncertain:

    how do I format Indigo2's primary (system) 2 GB drive using FX and then
    "sash64" or sashARCs (huh??? which one should use?) and then "xfs" and then
    "partition" and then swapspace setup, whatever formatting-the-drive procedures
    before re-installing the "default" (normal) IRIX 6.5 on it?

    Formatting the system drive is optional but I want to learn the *procedures* on
    how to do that. Any good web link on it?

    Is there a IRIX 6.5's limitation on the maximum storage size, like 8 GB?
    Beyond that size requires partitioning? Not sure if my current system drive
    uses partition because it is a 2 GB drive but I assume root disk has swapspace
    as seen in 'df' . Not sure how to setup and modify swapspace either.

    Final step: After formatting the system drive, what are the procedures to
    install default (normal) IRIX 6.5 requirements on this system drive? (ie.
    showcase, demos, magic, etc as usual) in PROM.

    Mike

  2. Re: Formatting the drive(s) on the R10k Indigo2 (IRIX 6.5)

    MStepansky wrote:

    > My hardware specs:
    >
    > I have R10k Indigo2/HighImpact+TRAM running IRIX 6.5. here...
    > with 2 GB internal "system" (root) drive and 4 GB secondary internal drive
    > (storage). Both are working SCSI drives - including working external CD drive.
    >
    > I do have the IRIX Install-CD's - including the Foundations and 6.5.12 Overlay,
    > I think. Yes, I am able to login in Root and also in Prom Cmd monitor.
    >
    > First step:
    >
    > How do I "erase" my hard drive in the Indigo2's second hard drive?
    >
    > Remember, it is a non-system scsi disk - a 4G storage space. Also, after
    > erasing (formatting) this drive, what do I do next to make it "xfs" format so
    > that way it is ready to "mount" again in my indigo2? This secondary disk
    > should be listed as 'xfs' as seen in the 'df' command everytime I log into my
    > Desktop.
    >
    > Is there a good link on how to do that? (...unless it is an easy part)
    >
    > Now another part of the step - which I am still uncertain:
    >
    > how do I format Indigo2's primary (system) 2 GB drive using FX and then
    > "sash64" or sashARCs (huh??? which one should use?) and then "xfs" and then
    > "partition" and then swapspace setup, whatever formatting-the-drive procedures
    > before re-installing the "default" (normal) IRIX 6.5 on it?
    >
    > Formatting the system drive is optional but I want to learn the *procedures* on
    > how to do that. Any good web link on it?
    >
    > Is there a IRIX 6.5's limitation on the maximum storage size, like 8 GB?
    > Beyond that size requires partitioning? Not sure if my current system drive
    > uses partition because it is a 2 GB drive but I assume root disk has swapspace
    > as seen in 'df' . Not sure how to setup and modify swapspace either.
    >
    > Final step: After formatting the system drive, what are the procedures to
    > install default (normal) IRIX 6.5 requirements on this system drive? (ie.
    > showcase, demos, magic, etc as usual) in PROM.
    >
    > Mike

    Hi Mike,

    simply did some cutīnīpaste for you here... normally, the "new disk"-GUI will do
    everything for you. Give it a try! No need for the cli fx...

    Adding a New Option Disk

    Tip: You can use the Disk Manager in the System Toolchest to add a new option
    disk. For instructions, see "Setting Up a New Hard Disk " in
    Chapter 3 of the Personal System Administration Guide. The section "Taking
    Advantage of a Second Disk" in Chapter 6 of the Personal System
    Administration Guide provides ideas for making effective use of an option
    disk.

    To add a new option disk to a system using shell commands, follow these steps:

    1.Install the hardware. See the owner's guide for the system.

    2.Initialize the volume header, if necessary. See "Formatting and Initializing
    a Disk With fx".

    3.Partition the new disk, if necessary. It should be partitioned as an option
    disk. See "Repartitioning a Disk With fx" for instructions.

    4.In preparation for the next step, identify the type of controller that the
    new disk is attached to (integral SCSI controller or non-integral controller).
    See the section "Listing the Disks on a System With hinv" for instructions.

    5.To add an option disk on an integral SCSI controller to a system, use the
    Add_disk command to perform the remaining steps to configure the disk:

    # Add_disk controller_number drive_address lun_number

    If you are adding a second disk on controller 0 to your system, you do not
    have to specify the disk, controller number, or logical unit number; adding
    disk 2 on controller 0 is the default. If you are adding a third (or greater)
    disk, or if you are adding a disk on a controller other than controller 0, you
    must specify the disk and controller. If the disk device has a logical unit
    number different from zero, it must be specified.

    Add_disk checks for valid filesystems on the disk, and if any filesystems are
    present, you are warned and asked for permission before the existing
    filesystems are destroyed and a new filesystem is made.

    The Add_disk command performs these tasks:

    Creates the character and raw device files for the new disk

    Creates an XFS filesystem on the disk

    Creates the mount directory

    Mounts the filesystem

    Adds the mount order to the /etc/fstab file

    6.For an option disk on a non-integral controller, complete the configuration
    of the new option disk by making a filesystem. Use the instructions in
    one of these sections in Chapter 6, "Creating and Growing Filesystems":
    "Making an XFS Filesystem" in Chapter 6 or "Making a Filesystem From
    inst" in Chapter 6.

    Regards

    Walther

+ Reply to Thread