Experience upgrading to 6.5.19m - SGI

This is a discussion on Experience upgrading to 6.5.19m - SGI ; Day 1. The problem: My Indigo2 is at 6.5.16f (my one and only set of overlays on CD) and it's having an awful time compiling NTP. Seems that this version of IRIX has headers that only partially support IPv6, which ...

  1. Experience upgrading to 6.5.19m

    Day 1.

    The problem: My Indigo2 is at 6.5.16f (my one and only set of
    overlays on CD) and it's having an awful time compiling NTP. Seems
    that this version of IRIX has headers that only partially support
    IPv6, which buggers up the compiles. No support contract, so if I am
    to get 6.5.19m (with full IPv6 support), I have to downgrade to the
    6.5.16f maintenance stream. No major drama here, but it's a lot of CD
    swaps. Takes all day.

    Day 2

    Only 600 MB free on the Indigo2, and 1.5 GB on the PC. So download
    (over 512 Mb/s ADSL) each 6.5.19m CD image to the PC, unpack with
    WinZip and burn to CD, then delete the entirety and start again with
    the next image. Try to load them to swmgr or inst, but it can't swap
    disks since the images aren't in the proper format.

    Unreliable and slow FTP means this takes all day.

    Please, SGI, make proper burnable CD images for downloading.

    Day 3

    Copy all the CDs onto to the PC. Download and install Sharity onto
    the Indigo2 to mount the files. Inst gives all kinds of errors
    (one of two versions). Huh? After some head scratching and examining
    files, discover that they are all corrupt -- the ends of the lines
    terminate in CRLF. WinZip has corrupted them all.

    Major lesson -- disable the smart LF-to-CRLF conversion in WinZip!

    Another day wasted.

    Day 4

    Do the downloads all over again, slow, slow, slow. Burn more CDs and
    copy them all back to the PC. Fire up inst, and presto, it works!

    Lessons learned:

    1. WinZip CRLF translation can bite hard.

    2. More disk space and bandwidth than you think you need can sure be
    handy sometimes.

    3. Simple jobs sometimes aren't.

  2. Re: Experience upgrading to 6.5.19m

    Hi Marc,

    I learned these lessons a long time ago. I bit the bullet, spent $50 on
    ebay for a 36 GB harddrive and external harddrive case. I have all the
    IRIX 6.5 CD's on the HDD, along with all the overlays, compiler updates,
    freeware, etc..
    Makes the entire process take about 2 hours now. I also use the external
    drive to make backups of my home directory every other week or two.
    Im using a SUN 611 external harddrive enclosure with a 10krpm drive in
    it. It was really a good and pretty cheap investment.

    > Day 4
    >
    > Do the downloads all over again, slow, slow, slow. Burn more CDs and
    > copy them all back to the PC. Fire up inst, and presto, it works!
    >
    > Lessons learned:
    >
    > 1. WinZip CRLF translation can bite hard.
    >
    > 2. More disk space and bandwidth than you think you need can sure be
    > handy sometimes.
    >
    > 3. Simple jobs sometimes aren't.

  3. Re: Experience upgrading to 6.5.19m

    Marc Brett wrote:
    [...]
    > Day 2

    [...]
    > Please, SGI, make proper burnable CD images for downloading.

    Please, Marc learn to make your own. http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR
    has all the tools you need. I have posted a patch to mkefs to extract
    _all_ the files that are on SGI's CDs so that you can have exact
    workalikes on the forum on www.nekochan.net. I'm not quite sure, but
    you may have to produce the .IM* (or so) files as well, but even that
    can easily be done with a little script. You would still need at least
    2x(cdsize) diskspace accessible from your Irix box.

    Rainer

+ Reply to Thread