media not loaded - SGI

This is a discussion on media not loaded - SGI ; Hi there, Hardware: Indigo^2 purple r10k 195 Mhz IP28 512MB RAM 4GB HD on controler 0 ID 1, according to "command monitor">"hinv" CDROM on controler 1 ID 2, according to "command monitor">"hinv" Software: 1/ partitionned using fx.64 (R,RO,RE so that ...

  1. media not loaded

    Hi there,

    Hardware: Indigo^2 purple r10k 195 Mhz IP28 512MB RAM
    4GB HD on controler 0 ID 1, according to "command monitor">"hinv"
    CDROM on controler 1 ID 2, according to "command monitor">"hinv"

    Software:
    1/ partitionned using fx.64 (R,RO,RE so that i get a 400MB swap instead of 128MB swap)
    part type blocks Megabytes (base+size)
    0: xfs 823296 + 8067464 402 + 3939
    1: raw 4096 + 819200 2 + 400
    8: volhdr 0 + 4096 0 + 2
    10: volume 0 + 8890760 0 + 4341
    2/ IRIX 6.5 CDs that i installed:
    Installation tools & overlay 1
    Foundation 1
    Foundation 2
    Application

    Permissions looks ok in INST>Admin>shroot,
    IRIS# ls -l | grep unix
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 6813296 Nov 25 23:25 unix

    Problem: after this (IMHO) clean IRIX 6.5 installation, autoboot says,
    Unable to execute scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix: media not loaded

    Note: I already tryed "command monitor">"resetenv"
    Note2: "command monitor">"printenv",
    AutoLoad=Yes

    SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
    OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
    OSLoadFilename=/unix
    OSLoader=sash
    gfx=alive

    Problem2: Oh... another problem now (new one), when i try to use "command
    monitor">"set" i get,
    Unable to execute set: no such file or directory

    Questions: How to boot my installed IRIX 6.5 system? Why doesn't autoboot
    find /unix on controler 0 ID 1? How to flush my Indigo^2 r10k's PROM if
    needed (with a newer one even)?

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    --
    Pierre-Philipp

  2. Re: media not loaded

    Following up to myself to add this information,

    in "command monitor",
    >> boot -f dksc(0,1,0)unix
    Unable to execute dksc(0,10)unix: media not loaded
    Unable to load dksc(0,1,0)unix: no recognizable file system on device

    --
    Pierre-Philipp

  3. Re: media not loaded

    Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun (Nov 26, 2003 02:05 +0100),
    > Problem2: Oh... another problem now (new one), when i try to use "command
    > monitor">"set" i get,
    > Unable to execute set: no such file or directory

    "setenv" works, sorry

    Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun (Nov 26, 2003 02:12 +0100),

    > Following up to myself to add this information,
    >
    > in "command monitor",
    > >> boot -f dksc(0,1,0)unix
    > Unable to execute dksc(0,10)unix: media not loaded
    > Unable to load dksc(0,1,0)unix: no recognizable file system on device
    > >>

    >> boot -f dksc(0,1,8)sash dksc(0,1,0)unix
    even (media not loaded).

    Something else: the little scsi ID reference sticker on the HD doesn't
    correspond to reality. The jumper is on the first pins on the left. And
    according to the sticker, the HD should be ID3. But it's ID1 according to
    hinv.

    Anyway i'm not sure there is a problem with the HD: i can shroot in it and
    afaik (not much about IRIX yet), it looks all right.

    --
    Pierre-Philipp

  4. Re: media not loaded

    Had this on an O2 once. set env fixed it too. You must have jogged my
    memory ;-)

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Pierre-Philipp Braun wrote:

    > Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun (Nov 26, 2003 02:05 +0100),
    > > Problem2: Oh... another problem now (new one), when i try to use "command
    > > monitor">"set" i get,
    > > Unable to execute set: no such file or directory

    > "setenv" works, sorry
    >

    > Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun (Nov 26, 2003 02:12 +0100),
    >
    > > Following up to myself to add this information,
    > >
    > > in "command monitor",
    > > Unable to execute dksc(0,10)unix: media not loaded
    > > Unable to load dksc(0,1,0)unix: no recognizable file system on device
    > > >>

    > >> boot -f dksc(0,1,8)sash dksc(0,1,0)unix
    > even (media not loaded).
    >
    > Something else: the little scsi ID reference sticker on the HD doesn't
    > correspond to reality. The jumper is on the first pins on the left. And
    > according to the sticker, the HD should be ID3. But it's ID1 according to
    > hinv.
    >
    > Anyway i'm not sure there is a problem with the HD: i can shroot in it and
    > afaik (not much about IRIX yet), it looks all right.
    >
    > --
    > Pierre-Philipp

  5. Re: media not loaded

    Quoting Khalid Schofield (Nov 26, 2003 16:21 -0000),

    > Had this on an O2 once. set env fixed it too. You must have jogged my
    > memory ;-)

    You mean i should try to set other IDs than the correct one and see if it
    works?

    Some more informations,

    1/ To make sure it's IRIX_64_,
    INST>shroot
    # uname -a
    IRIX64 IRIS 6.5 04101931 IP28

    2/ Starting sash64 from "Installation tools CD",
    "command monitor"> dksc(1,2,8)sash64
    Then i'm into controler0 ID1 partition 0 and can browse the installed IRIX.
    Trying to boot here,
    sash: ./unix
    Booting (some numbers...) and then first error msg:
    WARNING Initial mount of root device
    block failed with errno 1011
    Then second and final error msg:
    PANIC: vfs_mountroot: no root found
    [Press reset to restart the machine.]

    3/ Even trying with some "root" variable in "command monitor",
    >> setenv root dks0d1s0

    Sames errors. With HD sash,
    "media not loaded"
    with CD sash64,
    "vfs_mountroot: no root found"

    Is there something wrong with my partition table (listed in some previous message)?
    Advices are appreciated.
    --
    Pierre-Philipp

  6. Re: media not loaded

    NO
    I am saying that our O2 forgot the prom boot info. I'm saying I had to
    feed it to it again. using the command in prom.

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Pierre-Philipp Braun wrote:

    > Quoting Khalid Schofield (Nov 26, 2003 16:21 -0000),
    >
    > > Had this on an O2 once. set env fixed it too. You must have jogged my
    > > memory ;-)

    > You mean i should try to set other IDs than the correct one and see if it
    > works?
    >

    > Some more informations,
    >
    > 1/ To make sure it's IRIX_64_,
    > INST>shroot
    > # uname -a
    > IRIX64 IRIS 6.5 04101931 IP28
    >
    > 2/ Starting sash64 from "Installation tools CD",
    > "command monitor"> dksc(1,2,8)sash64
    > Then i'm into controler0 ID1 partition 0 and can browse the installed IRIX.
    > Trying to boot here,
    > sash: ./unix
    > Booting (some numbers...) and then first error msg:
    > WARNING Initial mount of root device
    > block failed with errno 1011
    > Then second and final error msg:
    > PANIC: vfs_mountroot: no root found
    > [Press reset to restart the machine.]
    >
    > 3/ Even trying with some "root" variable in "command monitor",
    > >> setenv root dks0d1s0
    > Sames errors. With HD sash,
    > "media not loaded"
    > with CD sash64,
    > "vfs_mountroot: no root found"
    >
    > Is there something wrong with my partition table (listed in some previous message)?
    > Advices are appreciated.
    > --
    > Pierre-Philipp

  7. Re: media not loaded

    Quoting Khalid Schofield (Nov 26, 2003 20:37 -0000),

    > NO
    > I am saying that our O2 forgot the prom boot info. I'm saying I had to
    > feed it to it again. using the command in prom.

    I see, but here the values are ok, even when feeding up the variables or
    using resetenv, and even when trying to boot it manually... sash isn't able
    to find the kernel, whereas i can see it when i ls dksc(0,1,0) or enter
    INST>shroot.

    Thanks for your support.
    --
    Pierre-Philipp

  8. Re: media not loaded

    Following up to myself again,

    Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun (Nov 27, 2003 13:11 +0100),
    > I see, but here the values are ok, even when feeding up the variables or
    > using resetenv, and even when trying to boot it manually... sash isn't able
    > to find the kernel, whereas i can see it when i ls dksc(0,1,0) or enter
    > INST>shroot.

    Some more informations,

    1/ I tryed the HD with external scsi-2, same problem.

    2/ I just did a whole fx.64 --x [c]omplete [exe]rcice
    [e]rrlog says,
    TOTAL ERR BLOCKS r0(0 hard) w0(0 hard)

    I've read some posts on groups.goole.com about some bug in IRIX (at least
    son indy owners had the same issue, and had to start with a previous version
    of IRIX to avoid this non relevant "media not loaded" error msg).
    Thus, for now, i would assume there's a bug in IRIX 6.5.16.

    Or may i add some jumber on the HD pins? There is currently only one,
    apparently setting the ID1.

    --
    Pierre-Philipp

  9. Re: media not loaded

    Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun (Nov 26, 2003 02:05 +0100),
    > Problem: after this (IMHO) clean IRIX 6.5 installation, autoboot says,
    > Unable to execute scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix: media not loaded

    The version of sash in the volume header on the drive wasn't compatible with
    base 6.5.

    Solution: i used a base 6.5 miniroot to mkfs and install (6.5 installation
    tools, not 6.5.16).

    --
    Pierre-Philipp

+ Reply to Thread