How to do a "Security Warning Banner" - SGI

This is a discussion on How to do a "Security Warning Banner" - SGI ; We are required to present at each user login a "Security Warning Banner" (arbitrary content so far) which requires (a) a user to click a button to accept the restrictions. or (b) that it be present as the top window ...

  1. How to do a "Security Warning Banner"

    We are required to present at each user login a "Security Warning Banner"
    (arbitrary content so far) which
    requires
    (a) a user to click a button to accept the restrictions.
    or
    (b) that it be present as the top window on the screen for a specified
    minimum time
    [the choice isn't ours but we don't know which yet and want to prepare for
    both eventualities].

    What's available either as part of standard IRIX (6.5.x) or as add-on
    software?

    TIA
    Norm

  2. Re: How to do a "Security Warning Banner"

    In article ,
    Norm Dresner wrote:
    :We are required to present at each user login a "Security Warning Banner"
    arbitrary content so far) which
    :requires
    : (a) a user to click a button to accept the restrictions.
    : (b) that it be present as the top window on the screen for a specified
    :minimum time
    :[the choice isn't ours but we don't know which yet and want to prepare for
    :both eventualities].

    : What's available either as part of standard IRIX (6.5.x) or as add-on
    :software?

    'xconfirm exclusive' pushed into /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession* perhaps,
    for (a).

    Nothing springs to mind for (b) except perhaps more Xsession munging
    with a 'sleep' in the script. It'd look much like (a). Forcing
    something into the foreground and making it stay there isn't simple.
    You might be able to use a full-screen window with no decorations
    that is transparent everywhere outside the warning box, and which is
    catching all the key presses... but xconfirm is easier.

    :We are required to present at each user login a "Security Warning Banner"

    Bah, humbug. They tried to push that on us; I challenged them to come
    up with an actual care in any North American court in which someone
    had gotten off because there wasn't a warning. Sure enough, it
    was hearsay, and when they went back to the people they'd got it from,
    it was hearsay to them as well... all the way back to the RCMP,
    to whom it was effectively hearsay too. And now there's no more
    policy requirement for those banners ;-)

    IMHO, banner policies are useless as "Unwelcome Mats". What they
    are good for, though, is to destroy any last vestige of
    "expectation of privacy" that someone might have. Your policies
    probably already allow you to monitor for reasonable operational
    reasons, but the *less* intrusive your monitoring, the more
    likely people are to forget the policy and get upset when you ask
    them to cut down on the streaming video.
    --
    So you found your solution
    What will be your last contribution?

+ Reply to Thread