using remote X11 via XDMCP to IRIX machine - SGI

This is a discussion on using remote X11 via XDMCP to IRIX machine - SGI ; Hello, if I log to my Octane (IRIX 6.5.19m) via XDMCP using the desktop remotely the graphics does not behave very nice... I cannot see for example the background desktop colour and wht is worse if I open a xterm ...

  1. using remote X11 via XDMCP to IRIX machine

    Hello,
    if I log to my Octane (IRIX 6.5.19m) via XDMCP using the desktop
    remotely the graphics does not behave very nice...
    I cannot see for example the background desktop colour and
    wht is worse if I open a xterm when I press the control-C
    key it does not work.
    This happens using Exceed and using also cygwin both from windows.
    I did not try other kind of X11 emulators.
    Is there any particular option to set in the server side ?
    this is not happening to me on other systems like if I try
    to use a remote desktp thru XDMCP, FreeBSD (X11R6) or Xsun on solaris
    I don't have this problem with them.
    Should I install any particular X11 extensions that are not installed
    by default?

    thanks so much

    Rick

  2. Re: using remote X11 via XDMCP to IRIX machine

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:
    :if I log to my Octane (IRIX 6.5.19m) via XDMCP using the desktop
    :remotely the graphics does not behave very nice...
    :I cannot see for example the background desktop colour and

    I believe that in that case you are getting /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession-remote
    instead of /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession.dt

    :wht is worse if I open a xterm when I press the control-C
    :key it does not work.

    That's just your terminal type getting propogated as something with
    different defaults than you are used to. You can set your own terminal
    type. See the documentation for 'tset' for more information on how
    it is being set for you now. tset is setting the control characters
    on your behalf; you can set them manually using 'stty'.

    --
    Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
    they see in .signatures.

+ Reply to Thread