boot disk on CD - SGI

This is a discussion on boot disk on CD - SGI ; Where can I find a boot image so as to make a boot CD for indigo2 ? Please help thank you kyle...

  1. boot disk on CD

    Where can I find a boot image so as to make a boot CD for indigo2 ?

    Please help

    thank you

    kyle

  2. Re: boot disk on CD

    In article ,
    Kyle wrote:
    :Where can I find a boot image so as to make a boot CD for indigo2 ?

    If you are trying to put the overlays onto a CD, then just burn
    the .iso overlay images that SGI provides.

    If you are trying to build a custom installation disk (e.g., one
    that has a particular set of patches you want to take around to a
    large number of computers), then it is possible to do but it is
    a bit of work.

    If you are trying to build a normal version of IRIX (not the
    install tools) that will run from CD, then it -can- be done, but
    every time you boot, you are going to encounter a string of error messages.
    IRIX doesn't like it's root drive to be read-only. Something in your
    phrasing suggests to me that this is what you are trying to do; if so
    then your reference to 'boot image' suggests to me that you don't have
    the experience to know which of the errors that show up will be
    acceptable and which will be real errors.

    The boot image for IRIX is named /unix . Yes, the same /unix that
    is your operating system. That *is* the boot image -- you boot into
    IRIX.

    There's a boot helper named 'sash'. You can pull that off of your
    present IRIX drive by using dvhtool's "get" command to fetch it from
    your drive volume header.
    --
    "The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
    -- Dr. Adam Drewnowski

  3. Re: boot disk on CD

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Kyle wrote:
    > :Where can I find a boot image so as to make a boot CD for indigo2 ?

    look at what the 'mkefs' script does that can be found at:
    http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR/
    (it also needs the ffsck, makeproto and dvhfile from the same directory)
    Compared to SGI's images the CDs are only missing fx.* and ide.*, which
    is easy to fix.

    > If you are trying to put the overlays onto a CD, then just burn
    > the .iso overlay images that SGI provides.

    Do they? I only see the 'normal' .tar.gz files in my supportfolio
    account. Or are the .isos a service for those with a support contract
    and f-stream access?

    rainer

  4. Re: boot disk on CD

    thank you very much for kind reply

    Rainer M. Canavan wrote:

    > Walter Roberson wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Kyle wrote:
    >> :Where can I find a boot image so as to make a boot CD for indigo2 ?

    > look at what the 'mkefs' script does that can be found at:
    > http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR/
    > (it also needs the ffsck, makeproto and dvhfile from the same directory)
    > Compared to SGI's images the CDs are only missing fx.* and ide.*, which
    > is easy to fix.
    >

    >> If you are trying to put the overlays onto a CD, then just burn
    >> the .iso overlay images that SGI provides.

    > Do they? I only see the 'normal' .tar.gz files in my supportfolio
    > account. Or are the .isos a service for those with a support contract
    > and f-stream access?
    >
    > rainer

  5. Re: boot disk on CD

    thank you very much for help

    let me take a look at that

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Kyle wrote:
    > :Where can I find a boot image so as to make a boot CD for indigo2 ?
    >
    > If you are trying to put the overlays onto a CD, then just burn
    > the .iso overlay images that SGI provides.
    >
    > If you are trying to build a custom installation disk (e.g., one
    > that has a particular set of patches you want to take around to a
    > large number of computers), then it is possible to do but it is
    > a bit of work.
    >
    > If you are trying to build a normal version of IRIX (not the
    > install tools) that will run from CD, then it -can- be done, but
    > every time you boot, you are going to encounter a string of error messages.
    > IRIX doesn't like it's root drive to be read-only. Something in your
    > phrasing suggests to me that this is what you are trying to do; if so
    > then your reference to 'boot image' suggests to me that you don't have
    > the experience to know which of the errors that show up will be
    > acceptable and which will be real errors.
    >
    > The boot image for IRIX is named /unix . Yes, the same /unix that
    > is your operating system. That *is* the boot image -- you boot into
    > IRIX.
    >
    > There's a boot helper named 'sash'. You can pull that off of your
    > present IRIX drive by using dvhtool's "get" command to fetch it from
    > your drive volume header.

+ Reply to Thread