IEEE exceptions - SGI

This is a discussion on IEEE exceptions - SGI ; Hello! One of the user sees the following error msg as soon as the program is run. The program run through and the results seem to be ok. What does this msg mean? How to go about finding the source ...

  1. IEEE exceptions

    Hello!

    One of the user sees the following error msg as soon as the program is
    run. The program run through and the results seem to be ok.

    What does this msg mean? How to go about finding the source of this
    error ( if it is) ?

    502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: The aggregate IEEE exceptions required
    (OEX_FPU_MIN) (0x10) not as complete as the aggregate IEEE exceptions
    permitted (OEX_FPU_MAX>>8)(0x8).
    502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: Use "elfdump -op " to see the
    floating-point exceptions (OEX) flags for the latest object.
    502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: Using aggregate 0x10 as OEX_FPU_MIN to
    add floating-point exceptions flags with set_fpc_csr().
    502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: Calling set_fpc_csr with (0x1000800)

    system : octane compiler_eoe

    09/08/2003 IRIX Standard Execution Environment (Base Compiler Headers
    and Libraries, 7.4)Irix 6.5.20m
    I ftn77_dev 12/31/2002 Fortran 77 Headers and Libraries,
    7.4

    Thanks in advance for you help or info.
    --

    rabi

  2. Re: IEEE exceptions

    In article <3FAA63C9.B0ED15EE@larc.nasa.gov>,
    rabi wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >One of the user sees the following error msg as soon as the program is
    >run. The program run through and the results seem to be ok.
    >

    >What does this msg mean? How to go about finding the source of this
    >error ( if it is) ?

    'man rld'
    has an explanation of this error message.
    See the DIAGNOSTICS part of that man page.

    >502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: The aggregate IEEE exceptions required
    >(OEX_FPU_MIN) (0x10) not as complete as the aggregate IEEE exceptions
    >permitted (OEX_FPU_MAX>>8)(0x8).
    >502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: Use "elfdump -op " to see the
    >floating-point exceptions (OEX) flags for the latest object.
    >502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: Using aggregate 0x10 as OEX_FPU_MIN to
    >add floating-point exceptions flags with set_fpc_csr().
    >502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: Calling set_fpc_csr with (0x1000800)

    That part of the man page is longer than I want to reproduce here.

    One part of that documentation is:
    For example, specifying the -trapuv compiler option results in a
    request that invalid exception trapping be enabled. Using certain
    high optimizations in conjunction with the -mips4 and -mips3 compiler
    options, however, requires that those exceptions be turned off so that
    speculative loads of floating-point values can be executed silently.

    It's not an error, really. See the man page for the full write-up.

    Hope this helps.
    David B. Anderson davea@sgi.com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea

  3. Re: IEEE exceptions

    rabi wrote:
    :One of the user sees the following error msg as soon as the program is
    :run. The program run through and the results seem to be ok.

    :What does this msg mean? How to go about finding the source of this
    :error ( if it is) ?

    :502460:../src/t1.k: rld: Warning: The aggregate IEEE exceptions required
    OEX_FPU_MIN) (0x10) not as complete as the aggregate IEEE exceptions
    ermitted (OEX_FPU_MAX>>8)(0x8).

    $ man cc
    and look under -TARG: for the description of exc_max and exc_min
    Also see there -TENV: -X
    --
    "WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG"
    WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG. (GEB)

+ Reply to Thread